(When Healthy) Are the Ducks a Contender?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Anaheim is an older team. That's why they get injured so much.

Injury and health is an important part of team success. It's not always "luck". Some teams are more injury prone because of certain reasons (like age). Injuries can also decrease player's value (eg. Tanev).

It's easy to say "if they were healthy..." but you need to take a deeper look into the issue.

Its easy to look at the big 3 (Perry, Getzlaf, and Kesler) and assume that Anaheim is an older team, but in fact they are almost dead center middle of the pack for average team age this year as shown in this table. Link for 2017-2018 season is at the bottom.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Ducks for me are the team that could come in to the playoffs and crush the dreams of Tampa and Nashville.

I just think they're a pretty good match against Tampa, and something tells me if they played the Preds again, this time they wouldn't lose. Losing to them twice in a row (both times they probably felt like they had it) and now being the underdogs, i just kind of like that dynamic.

First of all they're pain for other teams down the middle.

Getzlaf is Getzlaf
Kesler who is usually banged up should be healthier than ever
Henrique is a really solid 3C and fits right in, another pain in the butt
Vermette one of the best FO guys out there which is good trait for a 4C

They have a good amount of scoring talent on the wings.. Rakell, Perry, Silfverberg, Kase, Eaves, Cogliano and Ritchie can all contribute especially playing with good centers

The defense is still capable, Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Montour, Bieksa and whoever is the #6 in the playoffs, you have a bit of everything in there (except a superstar #1)

Gibson is a guy who i think is one of the better goalies in the league and one of those guys who can literally steal a game on a consistent basis. He can look straight up unbeatable. I think he's due for a good playoff run. And if something happens to him again, Miller is not a shabby backup.

And most importantly, they're one of the better teams to play that grinders game and playoff style games.

They just have to get to the playoffs.. which isn't going to be an easy task. The way the season has gone, there's more losing culture in there right now than in the past so turning the ship around is going to take some time i think. It'll come down to a semi-late push and they have to be dominant down the line.

But if they can do that, they'll be one of the hottest teams in the league squeezing in to the playoffs as a low seed. Right where they want to be.

Reactions: Getzmonster

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It all depends if Getzlaf is still one of the best players in the league (guy never got the recognition he deserved)

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Good lord yes, that's a strong Cup contending team 'if' they can get healthy. That they've been able to get as many points as they have so far is a minor miracle & also in large part to the 'lesser' players really stepping up their game. Combine them playing so strongly with the Ducks traditional 'stars' getting back/healthy & look out.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Our D has been healthy for a while now yet they’ve been awful. Great on paper but on the ice defensively we are really bad.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The defense had fits with the Devils speed in the neutral zone. I believe they need a stay at home defensmen and a calming influence.

Thats what lindholm is but he did have a bad night vs new jersey... i think our defense is just worn out. We spent the whole first 2+ months chasing around the d zone because we just didnt have the skill up front to hold any sort of possesion.

I dont think we will see the ducks potential until mid january so hopefully they can stay with the pack, i will say we are closer then i thought we would be at this point.

Gibson generally gets over looked but hes been amazing this year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Dangerous team, missing piece is maybe a no.4 dman
Maybe.. we need to see less bieska, he is just a black hole in our end.

I still think larsson is pretty ready when healthy and could fit in as our 5th, little more of a calming player and a good skater. Idk what dmen are realistically available at a price wed pay, that are better options than welinski or larsson

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Oh i think they are a contender. They have a nicely assembled roster for playoff hockey and some decent depth.
Don't imagine any team will look forward to a series against them.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
There are other teams in the NHL that have a comparable average age (around 28). Now look at this:

DRC0eS-XkAEKSGe.jpg:large

(From Dec. 14th)

The Ducks have been far and away the most injured team in the league so far, with the vast majority of their injuries affecting top 6 forwards, top 4 defensemen or goalies. The only team that is even close in terms of man games lost (not considering the quality of players), are the Sabres.

While age definitely is a contributing factor, there is way more going on in this case. Their physical style of play may also contribute to it. But also a lot of it just is rotten luck.
tb is the best situation buffalo is the worst

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Oh i think they are a contender. They have a nicely assembled roster for playoff hockey and some decent depth.
Don't imagine any team will look forward to a series against them.

I don't think teams typically look forward to playing Anaheim come playoff time.... at the very least its going to be a rough series, and they will make you earn it.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
nobody wants anything to do with a healthy Ducks roster especially now that the kids have more experience. Kinda shocked this is even a question frankly.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I'm not optimistic we'll be a playoff team. Yeah we're getting guys back but who's to say the injuries will stop coming? And it's not like the teams ahead of us are just going to bow out of the way. They want in too. I'm pretty heartbroken that we've lost such a promising season to injury.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I'm not optimistic we'll be a playoff team. Yeah we're getting guys back but who's to say the injuries will stop coming? And it's not like the teams ahead of us are just going to bow out of the way. They want in too. I'm pretty heartbroken that we've lost such a promising season to injury.
You're way too quick to throw in the towel. The only thing lost to this point is a strong start to the season. The rest is still waiting to be claimed.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Were literally 2points out of the 3 seed in the Pacific, and 3 out of 7/8th seed(granted the other teams have 1-3 games in hand), its def not a huge mountain for a team that historically plays better in the 2nd half. Injuries happen, vegas LA sj etc could just as easily get a big injury run and drop behind us. Still have 45+ games left... and in striking range... I think we also have 1 of the easier 2nd half schedules in the league.

I'm okay if we just barley make the playoffs, cause the team is built to contend come playoff time... seed doesn't really matter, and honestly I don't think there is much separating the 1-8 seeds in the west.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
nobody wants anything to do with a healthy Ducks roster especially now that the kids have more experience. Kinda shocked this is even a question frankly.
Yea we def have strength down the middle when healthy... our defense is a little weaker than in years past(but I think our goaltending is better) I still think Larsson should get a look at our 5th when he returns.

With the way guys like Kase and Roy have played and the addition of Henrique we should be able to create 3 good lines that should create matchup issues, plus the 4th line could end up looking something like Ritchie Vermette Wagner/Grant which is pretty good 4th line.

Its basically just a question if we can stay close to the pack while we wait for injuries to slow down, vegas and LA have taken advantage and separated themselves from us(not sure we can catch them now) but were still very much in the WC race and the 3seed race.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Yes, on paper. Getting Kesler back will be huge, even if he's not at full speed. The porous team defense and number of blown leads is concerning though, they need to figure it out, asap.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Team defense has been garbage this season, which is likely due to our coaching staff. Our goaltending is the only reason this team isn't bottom of the league in GA.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I thought goaltending would be their downfall but it's looking like the defense is the causing the problems.

They look really good on paper but I think by the time their top guys come back and get it going it might be too late. On the other hand it's Anaheim, so I won't be surprised if they throw themselves in the playoff race.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Plenty of time to get healthy and iron out some kinks. Absolutely a contender. I don't think any team other than maybe Nash would be even a 60% fav against them in the West. Gotta make it first, but I assume that'll take care of itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad