Speculation: When does MacT pull the chute???

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think the chute was pulled when Eakins got fired and Perron was traded. Everything we are discussing now is fairly minor when you look at the big picture.

Also as mentioned previously most UFAs will go at the trade deadline to maximize their value. I feel this thread is somewhat pointless.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I think the chute was pulled when Eakins got fired and Perron was traded. Everything we are discussing now is fairly minor when you look at the big picture.

Also as mentioned previously most UFAs will go at the trade deadline to maximize their value. I feel this thread is somewhat pointless.

Kind of and kind of not. If they hold onto Petry for all of February that could potentially lead to them getting more points in the standings. If they dump him today (for argument sake) than their blue line will have nothing left on it to compete for points with.

So the big picture is effected by which draft pick we get this summer..

Any other year I would wait until the deadline with Petry, but this year I would ask him today if he wants to resign, if its a no I would work very hard to try and trade him sooner rather than later.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Kind of and kind of not. If they hold onto Petry for all of February that could potentially lead to them getting more points in the standings. If they dump him today (for argument sake) than their blue line will have nothing left on it to compete for points with.

So the big picture is effected by which draft pick we get this summer..

Any other year I would wait until the deadline with Petry, but this year I would ask him today if he wants to resign, if its a no I would work very hard to try and trade him sooner rather than later.

That's a fair comment. However, i am of the opinion that if Petry wanted to stay longterm he would have signed for more than one year this summer. In other words, he's was always as good as gone in my view regardless of the outcome of the Oilers performance this season.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think they will have to move Petry. Not necessarily because I think hes a bad player or anything, I dont think he really wants to be here (hence why he signed a 1 year contract, not that I blame him for the record). But you have to get something from him, hes unlikely to resign.

I agree they could trade Fasth. I dunno if anyone wants him though.

Roy. I guess it just depends what they can get? If management thinks he might resign, than you might as well keep him I think. Hes fit in pretty well. Assuming Draitsatl or McEichel are going to fill his spot is bad management. Trading him for a 4th or a 5th when he wants to stay here wouldnt be a good idea I dont think.

I agree with others that trading Gordon or Hendricks isnt probably worth it. I think they are worth more to the Oilers than other teams. If you can get a first round pick, go for it, but doubt it happens.

As far as other deals go (I.E. Schultz, Eberle etc), I think its just better to do it in the summer unless they get an amazing offer.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
One of my fundamental beliefs in sport is that at the highest level (ie NHL) you have to create competition for spots in the lineup.

One of the reasons the Oilers continuously fail at player development is that players are anointed roster spots without having to truly earn them.

Dubnyk was a way better goaltender when Khabibulin was behind him competing for starts as an example.

A good problem to have is when players become irrelevant in the lineup because it means your core is pushing players down the lineup.

This is why I would sign Roy. Draisaitl won't be a legitimate NHL center until he can prove he's a better option than Roy. Until then handing young players (who aren't generational players like McDavid) roster spots is a recipe for continual failure.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Nobody wants Roy. Neither would the Oilers if they had someone competent at the helm.

Petry is the only one who will be traded. I am not overly enamored with Petry, but his trade will perpetuate the belief that Edmonton is still a developmental team for the rest of the league.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Nobody wants Roy. Neither would the Oilers if they had someone competent at the helm.

Petry is the only one who will be traded. I am not overly enamored with Petry, but his trade will perpetuate the belief that Edmonton is still a developmental team for the rest of the league.

Agreed. I could see another prospect who mact has seen twice and decided he doesn't like get traded for a later round pick as well. A guy like Gernat.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I have no idea, and neither does MacT. I don't think they have any idea what to do next other than draft a high pick and wait. That's been they're plan for years.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If MacT trades the Wagon line for mid round picks, I'll be so angry. It would make no sense, our only bright spots this year have been the wagon line, and to a lesser extent Nuge and Klefbom. Other than that, it's been total crap. SO yeah, let's trade one of the few things we have going for us (solid defensive line) and move them for crap. Ugh.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think they just trade Petry honestly and maybe pick up a waiver D man. I expect them to lay kind of low this deadline. There better be big changes this offseason though. Ideally starting upstairs.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
Does this team really need a chute pulled? I mean, they're falling flat on their faces night after night all on their own.

If theres one thing they dont need help with its losing games, they've got that part down to a science.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I think they just trade Petry honestly and maybe pick up a waiver D man. I expect them to lay kind of low this deadline. There better be big changes this offseason though. Ideally starting upstairs.

I think you are setting yourself up for big disappointment. MacT has gone back to the rebuild reset and it is all about the draft now. He turned over almost the whole roster and the team still stinks. He is stuck with guys like Nikitn and Purcell. I expect Petry and perhaps one other prospect or so MacT decides he doesn't like to be dealt.

I expect almost no big moves in the off season.

I expect a scout or two to be turfed and that is it.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
He pulled the chute last summer and then he pulled the emergency chute in December. Both chutes failed miserably and the Oilers are crashing down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad