Speculation: When does MacT pull the chute???

SchultzSquared*

4 points up on Buffalo... but five down from CAR

It would seem any day would be a good one to start off loading the UFAs on this team... they are of course

-RD Jeff Petry, age 27, 48 GP 4-6-10, 24 PIM, -24
-C Derek Roy, age 32, 13 GP, 3-5-8, 0 PIM, +0
-G Viktor Fasth, age 32, 19 GP 3.29 GAA 4 W 11 L 2 SOL 0.891 Sv%

And we have speculated also of Hendricks Gordon etc

So on what day do we see MacT start to disassemble the group... and is it better to do now when we are within crapping distance of BUF or later when we maybe gain some more wins and confidence at cost of draft position?

EDIT: Can a mod add a poll... I wanted to give options of Feb 1st, mid-Feb or trade deadline (Mar 2)

Last edited by a moderator:

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
4 points up on Buffalo... but five down from BUF

It would seem any day would be a good one to start off loading the UFAs on this team... they are of course

-RD Jeff Petry, age 27, 48 GP 4-6-10, 24 PIM, -24
-C Derek Roy, age 32, 13 GP, 3-5-8, 0 PIM, +0
-G Viktor Fasth, age 32, 19 GP 3.29 GAA 4 W 11 L 2 SOL 0.891 Sv%

And we have speculated also of Hendricks Gordon etc

So on what day do we see MacT start to disassemble the group... and is it better to do now when we are within crapping distance of BUF or later when we maybe gain some more wins and confidence at cost of draft position?

Gordon should not be on that list, unless getting a 1st in return, or a better shutdown, faceoff winning 3rd center (which won't happen).

Hendricks shouldn't be traded for anything lower than a 2nd. Same with Gordon, he is more important to our team than to others, so let's please not dump good vets.

Roy I would prefer to re-sign, but if we trade him, MacT better not be assuming that Drai is ready to go right off the bat next year.

Petry and Fasth are as good as gone, though.

To answer your question, he should wait until he can get the best return for the players. This team isn't going to A) be good enough to move above other teams between now and the deadline and B) be bad enough after the deadline to drop below the Sabres Tank.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Gordon should not be on that list, unless getting a 1st in return, or a better shutdown, faceoff winning 3rd center (which won't happen).

Hendricks shouldn't be traded for anything lower than a 2nd. Same with Gordon, he is more important to our team than to others, so let's please not dump good vets.

Roy I would prefer to re-sign, but if we trade him, MacT better not be assuming that Drai is ready to go right off the bat next year.

Petry and Fasth are as good as gone, though.

To answer your question, he should wait until he can get the best return for the players. This team isn't going to A) be good enough to move above other teams between now and the deadline and B) be bad enough after the deadline to drop below the Sabres Tank.

agree that Gordon shouldn't be traded, but asking a 2nd rounder for Hendricks may be asking a lot. likely we're being offered 3rd or 4th rounders.

i'd also like to see Roy signed to a one year contract, but there may be some renewed interest in him with his good showing with the Oilers, so we can't assume he'll just re-sign here as an upcoming UFA. for this reason, i think he may be on the market as well for likely a mid round pick being offered in return.

Petry will be gone and a radio wag suggested he may be trying to get a 2nd round pick back seeing as how Petry was a 2nd rounder himself. makes sense to try at least.

don't agree with Fasth being as good as gone anymore. he's playing much better now, better than Scrivens, and was considered to be the more talented of the two. if he continues to out shine Scrivens the rest of the way this season and start more than Scrivens, he could be the guy they try to sign. not saying Fasth would re-sign here after what must be a frustrating season, but the Oilers may try.

and after watching the Oilers/Sabres game, i didn't think it was possible to find a team any worse than the Oilers, but the Sabres are. they are just horrid!! now the Oilers are a long shot to get McDavid.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
agree that Gordon shouldn't be traded, but asking a 2nd rounder for Hendricks may be asking a lot. likely we're being offered 3rd or 4th rounders.

i'd also like to see Roy signed to a one year contract, but there may be some renewed interest in him with his good showing with the Oilers, so we can't assume he'll just re-sign here as an upcoming UFA. for this reason, i think he may be on the market as well for likely a mid round pick being offered in return.

Petry will be gone and a radio wag suggested he may be trying to get a 2nd round pick back seeing as how Petry was a 2nd rounder himself. makes sense to try at least.

don't agree with Fasth being as good as gone anymore. he's playing much better now, better than Scrivens, and was considered to be the more talented of the two. if he continues to out shine Scrivens the rest of the way this season and start more than Scrivens, he could be the guy they try to sign. not saying Fasth would re-sign here after what must be a frustrating season, but the Oilers may try.

and after watching the Oilers/Sabres game, i didn't think it was possible to find a team any worse than the Oilers, but the Sabres are. they are just horrid!! now the Oilers are a long shot to get McDavid.

You're right, that is asking a lot for Hendricks. My point is that I only want to trade him for an overpayment. He fits with Gordon far too well to let go for nothing.

You're probably right about Roy... Would be nice to just get him extended before UFA, but I know that likely won't happen. For a player who cleared waivers, he would probably like the idea of a stable contract situation.

I could care less who we keep between Scrivens and Fasth, to be honest. MacT needs to make a real attempt at a starting goalie for next season.

The Petry situation is a sad one for me... I'm on the Petry bandwagon, and I think he is much more valuable that what we might get for him... I would try and package him with other players to get a decent return rather then several 'meh' returns. How long is Rinne out for? Fasth and Petry to Nashville?

The only chance we have to get McDavid is the % of either 29 or 28, depending on how Carolina and Arizona play the rest of the way. Same with Eichel. The only way we get him is if we're 29th and Buffalo wins the lottery... Basically we should be talking about Hanifin only now.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
8a46345f56f8be7c77ceac1a36ee9ac5_zps66aa0567.jpg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think Petry might be the only one we see dealt. Maybe Roy at the deadline, although no team wanted him for free just a month ago, so not sure what sort of value you'd get for him. Is it really worth moving him out for a 4th or 5th rounder?

I don't think anyone will bother with Fasth. He's been terrible the majority of the year and is nothing more than a bad backup at this stage.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Damn, losing Hendricks or Gordon is going to hurt like losing Glencross did. There is obviously not the same offensive production when comparing them, but in terms of team foundation.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
about the time dashingsilverfox becomes mod

threads like this tell us how in love with losing and high draft picks the fan have become.

3 first overall picks, a 3rd overall pick and a 7th overall pick--time to get going

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

threads like this tell us how in love with losing and high draft picks the fan have become.

3 first overall picks, a 3rd overall pick and a 7th overall pick--time to get going

Why is it better to let guys walk instead of getting something for them? I get that we have had a lot of high picks, but the team still sucks. Letting Petry go in the summer for nothing isn't going to make the team better next season either.

oilers83

Feb 14, 2008

There's nothing coming via FA or trade that's gonna make us a Stanley Cup competitor. The only way to make sure these kids stay for a minimum of 7 years is too draft them high and pander to there every need or wish....except if there russian:sarcasm:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Honestly, the Oilers should try to resign Roy, just in case Drasaitl isn't ready or needs some AHL time first. That's what good teams do.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Wait till as late as possible, because if the first 3 names you mentioned get traded, this is going to be the worst Oilers team in a very long time.

In the past we've played over our heads in the past month of hockey due to the players not feeling the pressure of being involved in important games, but I flat out refuse to believe that we'll have it in us to play like that with those 3 departures.

Obviously Scrivens be playing way too many games. I'm not too worried about that as I am worried about who will be playing the other games.

With Roy out of the door I'm guessing that Lander would get a lot more minutes (Nelson seems to love the guy) and he isn't a 2nd line center. I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple call ups to see younger guys get a crack at bottom six minutes in Roy's absence. Yakimov will surely get a few more games up here to see what he's learned and where he's at.

Our blueline is so messed up. Klefbom is our only competent left handed d-man and he's the other lefty I know who's comfortable with playing on the right side... I can't imagine what we're going to do with Petry gone.

This blueline is already so, so sad.

As for trading Gordon or Hendricks, I'd want massive overpayments. They're exactly the kind of guys we need more of, not less of.

I want a 1st rounder from Hendricks. I know he isn't worth that much to anyone but he's worth that much to this team. Unless someone is significantly overpaying for him there's flat out not incentive for us to trade the guy away.

Same with Gordon. I'd want a first rounder for the guy. When was the last time you've slagged Gordon since he signed? Some people slagged the amount of money he got right after he signed that contracts, but he's easily been worth it. Some goes with Hendricks. When he came here people commented that he's wasn't worth what he was making on the open market, but what he and Gordon bring to us make them worth their weight in gold.

For Gordon I'd want a 1st rounder as well.

We wouldn't be able to replace Gordon in the off-season IMO. Yakimov isn't there yet and Lander looks like he can play bottom six minutes, but he doesn't have it in him to bring what Gordon has to the table.

Hendricks could to replaced to some degree. The problem is that we need to add another guy like Hendricks, not subtract. I'm convinced that we've got a guy like that in Pitlick if he could only stay healthy. At this point I'm convinced that Pitlick is cursed, so we'd have to find two guys like Hendricks in the off-season for us to take this team in a positive direction if we got rid of Hendricks.

SchultzSquared*

Wait till as late as possible, because if the first 3 names you mentioned get traded, this is going to be the worst Oilers team in a very long time.

In the past we've played over our heads in the past month of hockey due to the players not feeling the pressure of being involved in important games, but I flat out refuse to believe that we'll have it in us to play like that with those 3 departures.

Obviously Scrivens be playing way too many games. I'm not too worried about that as I am worried about who will be playing the other games.

With Roy out of the door I'm guessing that Lander would get a lot more minutes (Nelson seems to love the guy) and he isn't a 2nd line center. I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple call ups to see younger guys get a crack at bottom six minutes in Roy's absence. Yakimov will surely get a few more games up here to see what he's learned and where he's at.

Our blueline is so messed up. Klefbom is our only competent left handed d-man and he's the other lefty I know who's comfortable with playing on the right side... I can't imagine what we're going to do with Petry gone.

This blueline is already so, so sad.

As for trading Gordon or Hendricks, I'd want massive overpayments. They're exactly the kind of guys we need more of, not less of.

I want a 1st rounder from Hendricks. I know he isn't worth that much to anyone but he's worth that much to this team. Unless someone is significantly overpaying for him there's flat out not incentive for us to trade the guy away.

Same with Gordon. I'd want a first rounder for the guy. When was the last time you've slagged Gordon since he signed? Some people slagged the amount of money he got right after he signed that contracts, but he's easily been worth it. Some goes with Hendricks. When he came here people commented that he's wasn't worth what he was making on the open market, but what he and Gordon bring to us make them worth their weight in gold.

For Gordon I'd want a 1st rounder as well.

We wouldn't be able to replace Gordon in the off-season IMO. Yakimov isn't there yet and Lander looks like he can play bottom six minutes, but he doesn't have it in him to bring what Gordon has to the table.

Hendricks could to replaced to some degree. The problem is that we need to add another guy like Hendricks, not subtract. I'm convinced that we've got a guy like that in Pitlick if he could only stay healthy. At this point I'm convinced that Pitlick is cursed, so we'd have to find two guys like Hendricks in the off-season for us to take this team in a positive direction if we got rid of Hendricks.

I agree on Hendricks and Gordon... no one will pay the price it would make sense to move them for... but Petry Roy Fasth all need to go... and yesterday...

And yes it does sewer the team... I mean look at this thing...

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Lander-Yakupov
Fraser-A. Miller/B. Yakimov/???-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Klinkhammer
Gazdic Pakarinen

Ference-Schultz
Klefbom-Fayne
Marincin-Nikitin
Aulie

Scrivens
Bachman/Brossoit

"Best" case is a claim off waivers... even then it is still a much worse team... and dare say much worse than BUF (which is the point)

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
There's nothing coming via FA or trade that's gonna make us a Stanley Cup competitor. The only way to make sure these kids stay for a minimum of 7 years is too draft them high and pander to there every need or wish....except if there russian:sarcasm:

they're not there.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
trading the soon to be ufa wont make this team better or worse
Huh? You realize not every single move NHL teams make is about improving the current roster. Just in case you've missed the last hundred trade deadlines, dumping soon-to-be UFAs from teams who won't make the playoffs is one very good example of that.

Maybe you could explain how letting Petry walk in the summer is much better than getting something for him before the deadline?

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
July, 2006?

It should be now but MacT will dither and wait for the deadline

I can't choose an option, we all know the season's over but sometimes MacT sits on his hands worse than TambLowe. Then when he finally does make a deal he's suddenly in a rush to make some half-cocked dumb one.

This sucks, I genuinely expected better from MacT. Doubt we'll ever see him operating out from under the spectre of Lowe but I'm also losing hope that it would help.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Any UFA that's unsogned by the TDL needs to be traded since there won't be an off season. Save the other trades for the off season.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
UFAs generally hold the highest value at the trade deadline because buying teams get desperate if they don't have a solution for their current roster yet.

The only way I see Petry traded before then is if someone over pays or trades Edmonton a specific player that Edmonton likes or has had their eye on for a while.

Any pre deadline deal will probably include other pieces that aren't UFAs like Gordon/Hendricks or something bigger. This scenario is more unlikely of happening than the first one though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad