Speculation: When does Jacob Truscott arrive?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
With Michigan failing to do the michigan the Wolverines' season is over.

Jason Truscott has been injured recently but the earlier speculation was that he is signing with "Your Vancouver Canucks", (actually owned and operated by FA, low these many years of strife) at the conclusion of his season.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Frankly who cares the Canucks seem to be hell bent on having the most #4-#8 Dmen in the league for some reason.

Nothing against Truscott but the Canucks game plan just seems to be mediocre in order to appease the BS ownership they have.

This regime and the last 10 years rivals the Messier era and I thought that I would never have said that.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
This regime and the last 10 years rivals the Messier era and I thought that I would never have said that.
I now rank it, in order of putridness... Benning Era, Mid-80's, Messier Era, Expansion Era.

I'm going to give this regime a bit more time to undo the absolute clusterf*** of a situation left to them by Jimbo. Results are, unsurprisingly, mixed so far... but it takes a while to turn around a supertanker.

As for Truscott... the injury definitely sets back his timeline for probably another season. But I have no problem with signing him if he has NHL skills, even if they project as #4-#8 skills. Better than nothing.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I now rank it, in order of putridness... Benning Era, Mid-80's, Messier Era, Expansion Era.

I'm going to give this regime a bit more time to undo the absolute clusterf*** of a situation left to them by Jimbo. Results are, unsurprisingly, mixed so far... but it takes a while to turn around a supertanker.

As for Truscott... the injury definitely sets back his timeline for probably another season. But I have no problem with signing him if he has NHL skills, even if they project as #4-#8 skills. Better than nothing.
Fair enough to your last point as we do need bodies and maybe someone emerges into at least a solid 2nd pairing option but man it's yet another crappy time to be a Canuck fan and even more so in such a good drat year with this late surge for nothing and trading away the NYI first and our second rounder.

Heck I might even take up gardening just to get away from Canuck seasonal depression syndrome which many of us suffer from no doubt.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I think that the surprising bit is that all of these NCAA prospects do their development inside their college programs without the much "ballyhooed" Professional Development programs of the AHL, yet when they arrive, they are basically indistinguishable from the players who have years of "toil and seasoning" in the minors.

The impact of Professional Development is overrated beyond just getting a chance to play somewhere or maybe we should just ask Jett Woo?

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think that the surprising bit is that all of these NCAA do their development inside their college programs without the much "ballyhooed" Professional Development programs of the AHL, yet when they arrive, they are basically indistinguishable from the players who have years of "toil and seasoning" in the minors.

The impact of Professional Development is overrated beyond just getting a chance to play somewhere or maybe we should just ask Jett Woo?
Big time college programs have excellent facilities and off ice coaching like nutrition and strength coaches for the players. Especially those where the school is good in football like Michigan, OSU.

You get to the AHL and they are primarily based in smaller cities. What was there in Utica?

It’s more than just having an arena to play in. It’s the practice facility, the coaching, and the off ice staff. Has the nhl club invested in those areas? If not, you will pay for it down the line.

Reactions: MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks don't need another 6'0" and 170 pound d-man in Abbotsford. Better that Truscott plays out his senior year as one of 'go-to' guys on Michigan's blueline.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks don't need another 6'0" and 170 pound d-man in Abbotsford. Better that Truscott plays out his senior year as one of 'go-to' guys on Michigan's blueline.
Won’t there be another top Dman next year? York, Power, Hughes, and others were there during his time. Up to him to decide what makes sense.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
michigan is gonna be real bad next year. fantilli, hughes, mcgroaty and sameskovich all likely leave. only casey, brindley and maybe duke and nazar are returning. their recruiting class is pretty unspectacular too

truscott should sign with the canucks and get top 4 minutes in abbotsford

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Being the go to guy on Michigan is what is best for his developement. He has made good progress every year he has been in the NCAA and if he can continue that trend then he may not need a lot of time in the AHL

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Big time college programs have excellent facilities and off ice coaching like nutrition and strength coaches for the players. Especially those where the school is good in football like Michigan, OSU.

You get to the AHL and they are primarily based in smaller cities. What was there in Utica?

It’s more than just having an arena to play in. It’s the practice facility, the coaching, and the off ice staff. Has the nhl club invested in those areas? If not, you will pay for it down the line.
It is not just those factors that you mention but, most importantly, they spend the week actually practising and play on the weekends.....as opposed to the WHL where games are played throughout the week and practice time is limited in comparison.

Don't need to waste a year of elc on this prospect so he can play 1 game

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
It also depends on his financial position. Most hockey players come from a little bit of privilege ... I mean hockey is an expensive sport. But there is a major difference in the 3 levels of hockey for these guys. School costs money. The AHL pays a living wage. The NHL pays enough that if you get 4 -5 years in you can retire comfortably if you are careful with your money.

Have no idea whether or not the roughly $70K he would earn next year matters to him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don't need to waste a year of elc on this prospect so he can play 1 game
It's only "costly" for those players who are going to be impactful, like a Hughes and Boeser as their second deals jump up a lot from an ELC.

Truscott, right now is a 3 year ELC. 2024, he would be a 2 year ELC. If he were to sign now, and burn an ELC year, he has 2 years left to prove himself for his next deal. Would more than likely spend 23-24 in the A, leaving him 1 year in the NHL max to earn his next deal.

McDonaugh burning an ELC year this season, really is not going to impact the Canucks too much. He will spend most of next year in the A. So, he'd likely have like 25 games or so of NHL experience when he is a RFA. Not going to get much more than what he would get on his ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad