When Doan goes, does OEL get the C?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't know. I remember a time when the captain was frequently not the best or most important player on the team. I'm not real thrilled with giving Domi a C based on the fact that he's fiery and arguably the best player. Without being in the room it's difficult to say who has the qualities I'd look for in a captain.

Agreed. Why would Domi and OEL automatically qualify for Captain just because they're the best players on this roster? There are reasons why the Captain usually isn't the best player. A Captain should:

a.) ALWAYS lead by example
b.) be respected and able to speak up
c.) be experienced

I might be wrong as I don't know what's going inside the locker room but OEL isn't nearly as charismatic as Doan. I just don't see him speak up during a team meeting or fire up teammates. I'm sure he's a nice guy and well respected but I really think that he's just your typical Swede. There are exceptions of course...like Zetterberg. But I just don't think OEL is that type of guy. I also, as mentioned, have serious concerns because of some lackluster games this season. I can't remember Doan to ever have multiple stupid turnovers in one game. He always gave it his all and he always tried to make up for bad periods/shifts by throwing hits or fighting somebody to get his team going. Obviously...your not gonna replace Doan 1:1 but still. I just don't see OEL as a Captain. Really not.

Domi will be Captain sooner or later. It's too early though. Being Captain can also be a burden and there's a danger Domi might try to do too much.

Like I said, Richardson would be the obvious choice. Real heart and soul guy. If he's gonna stick around, Schenn would be my 2nd choice. He just joined the team but he's an outgoing guy not shy to speak up and he leads by example in every single shift.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Im not for it.
I don't think OEL is quite leadership material.
A good performer on the ice (most of the time)
I can't see him slamming a locker room door and holding players only meetings.
Id rather see someone like Domi or Crouse (in the near future)
Wearing the "C"
I think he has improved in scrappiness on the ice since the days when Derek Morris used to protect him as a rookie
I think they need someone who can administer fast and quick locker room justice from time to time.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Im not for it.
I don't think OEL is quite leadership material.
A good performer on the ice (most of the time)
I can't see him slamming a locker room door and holding players only meetings.
Id rather see someone like Domi or Crouse (in the near future)
Wearing the "C"
I think he has improved in scrappiness on the ice since the days when Derek Morris used to protect him as a rookie
I think they need someone who can administer fast and quick locker room justice from time to time.

Good post. That's about how I feel as well. Except that I'm against Crouse or Domi wearing the C next season.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Mike Smith should get it tbh :sarcasm:

At least he shows that he cares.

Agreed. Why would Domi and OEL automatically qualify for Captain just because they're the best players on this roster? There are reasons why the Captain usually isn't the best player. A Captain should:

a.) ALWAYS lead by example
b.) be respected and able to speak up
c.) be experienced

I might be wrong as I don't know what's going inside the locker room but OEL isn't nearly as charismatic as Doan. I just don't see him speak up during a team meeting or fire up teammates. I'm sure he's a nice guy and well respected but I really think that he's just your typical Swede. There are exceptions of course...like Zetterberg. But I just don't think OEL is that type of guy. I also, as mentioned, have serious concerns because of some lackluster games this season. I can't remember Doan to ever have multiple stupid turnovers in one game. He always gave it his all and he always tried to make up for bad periods/shifts by throwing hits or fighting somebody to get his team going. Obviously...your not gonna replace Doan 1:1 but still. I just don't see OEL as a Captain. Really not.

Domi will be Captain sooner or later. It's too early though. Being Captain can also be a burden and there's a danger Domi might try to do too much.

Like I said, Richardson would be the obvious choice. Real heart and soul guy. If he's gonna stick around, Schenn would be my 2nd choice. He just joined the team but he's an outgoing guy not shy to speak up and he leads by example in every single shift.

OEL has modelled himself after Lidstrom and if he were to be captain I think he'd go about it in the same way. And yeah I agree with what you think makes a captain, but I'd also add an 4th one, their future with the team. I don't want someone who is gonna be gone in a year. Richardson might fill out those 3 qualities the best but he is likely gone in a year.

And although we aren't in the locker room, Domi and OEL look like they're the most passionate about leading the team. I think both care a lot. And I think both are well respected by their peers.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Trade Duke for Yandle and
give him the C

If we followed this up by trading Goligoski for a good prospect I'd be completely on board with this. Yandle is still one of my favorite players. I think he was a good leader here and would've been a great follow up to Doan. If we wouldn't have traded I think he would've liked to spend his career here. And that's something I want our next captain to do.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I agree with much of what's been expressed and why. There are many intangibles to leadership. It is so much more than skill and seniority.

I don't see OEL filling the role or deserved of it. Hopefully Hanzal will be gone soon and a new A will be needed too.

I like Domi in a leadership role; whether C or A. I like Richardson and McGinn for these roles as well. It seems the board is mixed on McGinn; I like him for many of the reasons I like Richardson, and liked Gordon.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I agree with much of what's been expressed and why. There are many intangibles to leadership. It is so much more than skill and seniority.

I don't see OEL filling the role or deserved of it. Hopefully Hanzal will be gone soon and a new A will be needed too.

I like Domi in a leadership role; whether C or A. I like Richardson and McGinn for these roles as well. It seems the board is mixed on McGinn; I like him for many of the reasons I like Richardson, and liked Gordon.

Gordon and Richardson are extremely useful role players and Richardson would make a great Captain.

We pay McGinn 3,33 millions per year...for what exactly? What is he good for? I told you from the beginning how bad he is...but I thought he'd at least be physical but in fact he's about as tough as Anthony Duclair. No hits, no fights, useless on PK, PP...all he does is floating around and giving away pucks. I could repeat everything I wrote about him but I'm not going to because that's not what it's about here. I'm just telling you that McGinn is the worst player on this roster. Even Holland is better and that's saying quite something. In fact, he's even the worst player I've seen in coyotes uniform in years. Can we please get Moss, Chipchura or Tikhonov back to replace him? McGinn just ruins any line he's on. No way he should be captain of this team.

And yeah I agree with what you think makes a captain, but I'd also add an 4th one, their future with the team. I don't want someone who is gonna be gone in a year. Richardson might fill out those 3 qualities the best but he is likely gone in a year.

Why not? I'm already asking myself if Domi is trying to do too much. It probably wouldn't be smart to give him a letter yet. That could quickly change in a year or two. So why wouldn't you give Richardson the C? It's also not sure he'll be gone in a year. You're always gonna need vets and role players on your team.

Last edited:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Like others have mentioned, we (as fans) don't have a good feel for the personalities and leadership abilities of players. Players often have different personalities off-ice than they do on-ice. I agree with a few others on going with 3 As after the deadline.

Assuming Doan and Hanzal are gone, we'd need two more As for the rest of this season. As a fan, I'd probably go with Domi (I hope he'll be back by then) and probably Vrbata (unless we move him as well). For the rest of the season. Whoever shows the most sound leadership on and off-ice would be considered for the C next season (although I'm guessing Vrbata won't be re-signed). I suppose there is also the possibility of including the C in any UFA negotiations (or someone we trade for and want to re-sign).

Other possibilities for an A this season: Martinook (hard worker), Schenn (hard work and "sticktuitiveness"), White (players seem to like him from the interviews I've seen), Perlini (kind of a reach, but it would only be for the rest of this season--maybe).

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
We pay McGinn 3,33 millions per year...for what exactly? What is he good for? I told you from the beginning how bad he is...but I thought he'd at least be physical but in fact he's about as tough as Anthony Duclair. No hits, no fights, useless on PK, PP...all he does is floating around and giving away pucks. I could repeat everything I wrote about him but I'm not going to because that's not what it's about here. I'm just telling you that McGinn is the worst player on this roster. Even Holland is better and that's saying quite something. In fact, he's even the worst player I've seen in coyotes uniform in years. Can we please get Moss, Chipchura or Tikhonov back to replace him? McGinn just ruins any line he's on. No way he should be captain of this team.
I can't and won't argue salary or stats. My perspective on McGinn is observational only. He strikes me as a "locker room guy", like Scott was.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I can't and won't argue salary or stats. My perspective on McGinn is observational only. He strikes me as a "locker room guy", like Scott was.

Well, even if that would be true...I still think that exactly like the best player, the worst player also isn't the ideal player. You need to be good at something to be respected. It's also not gonna work if a Captain is scratched every other game.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
It would be a big slap in the face for OEL to not get it. Full Disclaimer: I'm biased against fighting. I don't think it's necessary for a captain to do that. It's going away anyway, grandfathering in visors was probably the smartest thing the NHL has done in regards to getting rid of fighting.

As for OEL's slumps, well—for the past twenty years our current captain has been the league's best slow-starter.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It would be a big slap in the face for OEL to not get it. Full Disclaimer: I'm biased against fighting. I don't think it's necessary for a captain to do that. It's going away anyway, grandfathering in visors was probably the smartest thing the NHL has done in regards to getting rid of fighting.

As for OEL's slumps, well—for the past twenty years our current captain has been the league's best slow-starter.

No, it's not necessary for a captain to fight. It would certainly help to be well respected and get your team fired up at times. But I agree. It's not necessary. But what you have to do is to give it your all. Always, on and off the ice. OEL often looked casual this season. Some sloppy giveaways you'd never see coming from any captain in this league. If you're not fighting, you also still have to play with an edge and be a real vocal leader in the locker room. Zetterberg would be a good example. I don't see OEL as a similar type of leader. He's more of the quiet nice guy. Not sure he even wants to be captain.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Probably the best idea you've ever had.
As a side note, interesting that none of the guys in the Yandle/Duke deal are currently playing for the NHL team they were traded to.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad