When Doan goes, does OEL get the C?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Doan's going....either in 45 days or retiring at season's end.

I believe the C is a really big deal to OEL and he's earned it IMO, despite a subpar season. Any chance Tipp doesn't give it him?

If he doesn't get it, we might as well trade him, because he won't be re-signing.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Previously I was in favor of doing the whole 3 A's thing for a while but I've changed my mind and now think they should turn the page right away. This is actually in large part due to OEL's contract status. I'd give him the role right away and see what happens while he still has term.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
DT_zpsbfaaufby.png

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
If Doan ia traded, 3x A's until the end of the year. OEL is captain next season unless we get really loopy and give it to Max.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm not sure I've seen anything captain-worthy that OEL has done. I'm not in the room, though, so who knows. :help:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm not sure I've seen anything captain-worthy that OEL has done. I'm not in the room, though, so who knows. :help:

Who's the other option though? Hanzal if they resign him maybe. Brad Richardson as a temporary placeholder? Outside of that everyone else is too young,not established, or obvious stop-gaps.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Who's the other option though? Hanzal if they resign him maybe. Brad Richardson as a temporary placeholder? Outside of that everyone else is too young,not established, or obvious stop-gaps.

Why not pick one of the young guys? They're obviously the future of the team, and several of them have been captains before. Domi? Crouse, maybe?

I just don't get OEL and Hanzal as leaders, even though they have the A right now. I can't imagine either one of them leading this team - particularly not Hanzal, who seems indifferent on many nights when he's even healthy.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm not convinced most of the young players currently on the roster are actually the future of this organization. Domi sure, but I'll get back to that in a second. Chychrun and Dvorak most likely. Murphy has the contract but he's a damn healthy scratch :laugh:. But either way I think all these guys even including Domi, are not actually that critical to the long term success of this team. It's on Strome/Keller and probably whoever we draft this season.

For the Domi issue and young non-generational player types in general being captain, I think it's a very risky proposition. I don't think it was a good thing Tkachuk was named captain so early and don't want to see that mistake repeated. He fit the on ice profile but off ice he was a massive pain in the ass both holding out and the questionable circumstances surrounding the hotel room at the Olympics was not a good look.

So I think OEL makes the most sense. They obviously thought enough of him to give him an A, he's got 2 years left so if for some reason the team moves on it can be moved to Domi or one of the others then, and if he gets healthy rounds into form and signs an 8x8 here he can keep the thing. Almost no downside. Where as I see potential downside going the young route.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Domi should get the C. He plays with passion and would bring a lot of the same qualities as Doan with less size but more skill.
Would have to be Domi or OEL....or triple A's until season end, then we acquire Tavares or Toews :laugh:

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
It's a no-brainer. He's been a perfect from a conduct standpoint, actually is an elite player in the league unlike other players on our roster, and leads by example. Never has complained with garbage teams and doesn't chirp or mouth off to much in-game so he has a good rapport with refs. Well-respected around the league.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Is OEL a leader? Some great players aren't great leaders and most of them will readily admit that. I'd give it a shot, and give it to Domi in a couple of years if OEL doesn't work out. I like how Domi will protect other players on the ice. He is surely captain material.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's a no-brainer. He's been a perfect from a conduct standpoint, actually is an elite player in the league unlike other players on our roster, and leads by example. Never has complained with garbage teams and doesn't chirp or mouth off to much in-game so he has a good rapport with refs. Well-respected around the league.

Is this... is this sarcasm? Apart from the elite player part, none of that is true. OEL hasn't publicly complained but he takes a lot of nights off. He runs his mouth constantly. He gets dumped into the boards just about every game so there isn't much respect for him around the league.

He may some day morph into a more stoic figure but he's not ready, IMO. Guys that lead by example have to be model citizens/perfect human beings, like Lidstrom in Detroit.

My old school 2 cents is that a captain should be a player that is always willing and at least somewhat able to fight.

I can see Domi getting it over OEL, but not yet. I think they'll run with 3 As or get an interim well respected guy in here.

Is OEL a leader? Some great players aren't great leaders and most of them will readily admit that. I'd give it a shot, and give it to Domi in a couple of years if OEL doesn't work out. I like how Domi will protect other players on the ice. He is surely captain material.

He is a vocal leader but the rest leaves much to be desired.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I think it should be OEL. I think Domi's too young for it right now. Landeskog being C in Colorado doesn't seem to have worked...

But I do think next season that this team will be OEL and Domi's. This year they've looked like they've cared the most. They got into a little scrap near the start of the year at practice. Both have passion which I think is missing. Hanzal seems quiet, Doan doesn't seem to care that much anymore.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it should be OEL. I think Domi's too young for it right now. Landeskog being C in Colorado doesn't seem to have worked...

But I do think next season that this team will be OEL and Domi's. This year they've looked like they've cared the most. They got into a little scrap near the start of the year at practice. Both have passion which I think is missing. Hanzal seems quiet, Doan doesn't seem to care that much anymore.

Of course it should be OEL. If Hanzal is still here, he gets a A, and probably Domi with a A also. It is hard to pick someone without being in the room every day though.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Giving OEL the C would be a mistake. I totally understand that he's pissed the way it went so far and I'm not gonna blame him for that..but if you're a leader, you cannot show it the way he does. Lots of lackluster performances and terrible giveaways this season. Too many if you ask me. Domi will probably be Captain sooner or later but I'd give it to a Vet for now. Richardson would be the obvious choice. Depending on whether he's gonna stay here or not I think Luke Schenn would be a great Captain. He had an "A" in Toronto. Also, Goligoski just signed a big contract...he had an "A" back in Dallas and worked really hard to raise his game to another level while others like OEL already started to lose interest.

OEL also doesn't strike me as a leader anyways. Hard to believe this guy would actually speak up. He's more like your typical quiet and ice cold swede.

That said, giving him the C might get him to change his attitude. Who knows. I wouldn't do it anyway.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Agreed it's a no brainer. Kinda surprised by some of the negative responses.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't know. I remember a time when the captain was frequently not the best or most important player on the team. I'm not real thrilled with giving Domi a C based on the fact that he's fiery and arguably the best player. Without being in the room it's difficult to say who has the qualities I'd look for in a captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad