When do the Blue Jackets start tuning Torts out?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
It seems that every week he is publicly calling out one or more of his players. I understand that the coaching staff wants the players to play better but doing it publicly in the media can't be good for team morale, esp if the team overall has a decent record. We are only a third through the season, these players are going to be drained by playoff time if he keeps doing this. Anyone else think he is starting to revert to the Tortorella of the old?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It seems that every week he is publicly calling out one or more of his players. I understand that the coaching staff wants the players to play better but doing it publicly in the media can't be good for team morale, esp if the team overall has a decent record. We are only a third through the season, these players are going to be drained by playoff time if he keeps doing this. Anyone else think he is starting to revert to the Tortorella of the old?
demanding effort is a bad thing? I say if players cant handle it then they should move on. This team had its chance with a players coach (Richards) and while they had 1 fun season to follow the overall result wasnt that good. Torts has his faults but he has helped the team he took over grow

Reactions: mikeyp24

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
So the team is mired in a scoring slump, their PP is worst in the league by a long shot and their expected top offensive players, minus Panarin are playing like doo doo. As coach of a team that was expected to continue to progress on last season, OMG Tort's, how dare you call out players for their suck so far this season. Same old Tort's. Must have lost the room already :shakehead

Reactions: mikeyp24

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
demanding effort is a bad thing? I say if players cant handle it then they should move on. This team had its chance with a players coach (Richards) and while they had 1 fun season to follow the overall result wasnt that good. Torts has his faults but he has helped the team he took over grow

So the team is mired in a scoring slump, their PP is worst in the league by a long shot and their expected top offensive players, minus Panarin are playing like doo doo. As coach of a team that was expected to continue to progress on last season, OMG Tort's, how dare you call out players for their suck so far this season. Same old Tort's. Must have lost the room already :shakehead

Did I say that the coach is not allowed to demand more from the players? :huh: I questioned the value of doing it publicly with the media as opposed to doing it privately during practices or in the coach's office. If you are a player it can't feel good to have your and your teammates' names be dragged in public esp when the overall record of the team is decent and it's not even 30 games into the season. Just doesn't sound like particularly smart season management to me.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Did I say that the coach is not allowed to demand more from the players? :huh: I questioned the value of doing it publicly with the media as opposed to doing it privately during practices or in the coach's office. If you are a player it can't feel good to have your and your teammates' names be dragged in public esp when the overall record of the team is decent and it's not even 30 games into the season. Just doesn't sound like particularly smart season management to me.

Fair enough. So I would like you to find a recent video or interview, not an old Tort's rant, but a recent video or interview where Tort's went off on a rant against a certain player(s) and dragged his name in the public or in front of the media where the player or his teammates would not feel good about what he said. Find a video or interview of a CBJ player that said they were offended by what was said or disagreed with what he said.

Does Tort's call out players by name? Yes. But mostly it comes after a question posed by a media person. For example, media person asks what's wrong with XPlayer? The most I've heard from him, and I've seen almost every post game presser since he got here, is along the lines of XPlayer has been doing X and Y and he needs to be better. You're making it sound like Tort's is at his presser saying "XPlayer has been dogging it, he's terrible and he's been an embarrassment." It's not been like that at all.

I know a lot of people find it hard to believe that he has changed in the way he handles himself in front of the media. But he has. People will be very disappointed if they expect to see Tort's blowing up at players, the media, etc. Will it last? Only Tort's knows.

He is still as intense as ever because he cares and he wants to win. And he cares about his players and wants them to be the best players they can be. There have been many interviews with former players who played for Tort's that will say they weren't happy at times while playing for him. But most will say he made them better players because of it.

He has a shelf life as all coaches have. But I hardly see that as any time soon unless the team goes completely south and management deems him to be the reason.

Reactions: Viqsi and Jackets16

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
A number of Veterans who have the bigger contracts are not pulling their weight...no need to name them, because it's basically all of them

I can't recall one CBJ fan who thinks Torts is out of line pushing them to start producing

The Title of this Thread should be changed to.... Torts Haters continue to be.....Torts Haters

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
What's up with Cam Atkinson this year? Really slow start.

I know not totally related to the topic, but it's not like there are a lot of Columbus threads.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The media is constantly asking him about x player or asking him leading questions to dump on guys and he says they have to be better BUT he's respectful about it and the players know how he is with the media and that stuff. He is actually a more hands off coach these days saying coaches just get in the way when players are struggling he can only put them in positions to succeed.

Example they asked him about the big players needing to step up because our kids are carrying us and he said a couple games back he was upset with Bread because bread said he would back check and go hard on defense and he had all year except a game or 2 and that didn't sit well with torts and he called him in and told him and Bread that next game onward went back to doing exactly that which was play like a beast off the puck and torts said that's how he wants it. He tells you what's wrong and you go and fix it don' just hope it fixes itself. That interview was pregame or yesterday. Tonight Bread took 2 pucks away and turned them directly into primary assists and had 5 primary assists in total while skating every where and causing chaos and turnovers all night.

Bottom line is they know that's how Torts is and they use that as a challenge to prove him wrong. The players seem to love playing for him. Similar thing has been going on with Wennberg and he has come out saying Torts is right about him and hes doing what he can to fix it. He said thats not torts fault or the teams fault it' his own fault.

Enough said.

Reactions: Viqsi

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
What's up with Cam Atkinson this year? Really slow start.

I know not totally related to the topic, but it's not like there are a lot of Columbus threads.

He has struggled right along with many of our veteran players. Tort's benched him tonight for the entire 3rd period and he only played a little over 6 minutes tonight. I think he will rebound but forget about the scoring. He has to be better in all phases of his game. He needs to get more engaged, with the puck and away from it. If he does that the scoring will take of itself. They need him and Tort's plays him in all situations. But Tort's doesn't mess around. If you ain't going, you ain't playing. Doesn't matter who you are or how much money you make.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Since Vancouver paid most of his salary and the CBJ had 108 points last season, I'd say it was fair compensation. Of course I wish they would have changed that rule a year earlier but...

What? Why would Vancouver pay it? He was fired and got a new deal with a new team

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Get out of here with this. You’re talking about the coach who has coached his team to the top of their division and as of 10:43 EST currently sit tied for the 6th most points in the league. This thread is a joke. Mods please /thread.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
What? Why would Vancouver pay it? He was fired and got a new deal with a new team

No he didn't. He coached the CBJ under the contract he signed with Vancouver. He signed a one year contract before this season after his original Vancouver contract expired.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
A team getting compensated for personnel they fired was about the stupidest rule ever thought up. In what way possible did that ever make sense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad