Speculation: when do canucks hit bottom?

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
curious what the consensus here is ..... just speculating about the rebuild arc

thinking about the low point in season points

do the Sedins stick around after next year, and if so does that help or hurt?

meant to say 4+ seasons from now in the last one, meaning 2020 and beyond

im thinking this coming year, but what rationale is there for thinking they'll be better in '18-'19?
could be no Sedins, or just worse Sedins ... and who among the prospects will be ready to rock a top 6 spot enough to make a diff by then?

Last edited:

vt89*

May 6, 2010
Last year.

Theoretically we could be just as bad or worse this year- but the light is at the end of the tunnel thanks to Benning's savvy trades and drafting

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Next year is going to be ugly, I promise you that. Could be rock bottom, but they can sink further than that if the Sedins retire early.

there isn't really light at the end of the tunnel until we kick our management team of Nonis 2.0 and Kevin Lowe 2.0.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Last year.

Theoretically we could be just as bad or worse this year- but the light is at the end of the tunnel thanks to Benning's savvy trades and drafting

This light won't be here this coming season.

This should be the worst... barring complete and total mis-management.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's either last season or this season and it doesn't matter as long as the team's future is looking better.. Horvat should be better and I think Boeser is the real deal and Juolevi is going to be good. I also have hope that Stecher would take the next step in his development. Basically, I think we'll have more young players in place.

westvandal

Sep 18, 2008
I'm going to say the trade deadline last year was probably rock bottom morale wise...and the Gudbranson trade signalling management's inability to face the fact the team needed to rebuild rivals that. This season was frustrating obviously but went as expected so wasn't as painful as the year before for me.

The firing of Willie combined with positive results from this past deadline and draft has shown me there is a cohesive direction now... so it can only be trending up from here you'd think?

I think the team will be bad again, maybe even worse but because they seem to finally be committed to rebuilding it won't feel as low.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm saying this year because the Sedins looked terribly old last season and I think this year will be the true "The game has past them by" season. I fully expect us to have an even worse season this year than we did the last two because we won't even have the Sedins chipping in. Seriously, I am not looking forward to how this season treats them. Some people around here are in for a rude awakening. Or not.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I think this year. Miller actually played well and kept us in some games we shouldn't have been in. Our goaltending could be worse this year and our defense will be as well. We'll be better at forward but not enough to mitigate the lack of depth elsewhere

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Seriously, I am not looking forward to how this season treats them. Some people around here are in for a rude awakening. Or not.
Are they really going to be surprised? I mean, the Sedin era being over seems to be a forgone conclusion to me. It'd be a pleasant surprise if they still had gas in the tank, and contributed to the next era in a couple years some how.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Are they really going to be surprised? I mean, the Sedin era being over seems to be a forgone conclusion to me. It'd be a pleasant surprise if they still had gas in the tank, and contributed to the next era in a couple years some how.

True, but I still see posters here living in denial.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm going to say the trade deadline last year was probably rock bottom morale wise...and the Gudbranson trade signalling management's inability to face the fact the team needed to rebuild rivals that. This season was frustrating obviously but went as expected so wasn't as painful as the year before for me.

The firing of Willie combined with positive results from this past deadline and draft has shown me there is a cohesive direction now... so it can only be trending up from here you'd think?

I think the team will be bad again, maybe even worse but because they seem to finally be committed to rebuilding it won't feel as low.

i agree as far as team strategy goes, but thinking mostly about points in the standings ... not clear on when i expect an upswing driven by the young talent ... can we even expect Juvolevi to make an impact before '18-'19 or later? same w Petterson & co? Hopefully Boeser breaks out and Virtanen shows something. But i think our best bet is to try and get 1OA next draft, plus maximize picks at TDL from UFAs, though at this point that's only Sedins & Guddy (so good luck) We need more franchise picks next summer, and the draft seems pretty good (?) https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-draft-should-have-plenty-of-talent/c-290140082

but even then, it might be years after that for them to mature

not trying to be a downer, but trying to be realistic about when we can expect that early-2000s upswing we enjoyed last time (before taking a decade to bloom to full proportion of disappointment..)

the bummer lat time was that it took the Sedins SO long to get it going ...they pretty much burned their whole early-20s

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
In terms of on ice performance? Could be last year, could be two years from now. It's difficult to project.

In terms of team outlook? Probably last year. We've had a solid injection of prospects and the team appears (very laboriously) to be drifting towards some kind of rebuild. Are things awesome now? Definitely not. Still lots of problems. But it'll be hard to top last year for general organizational misery.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The bottom will be U shaped, not V shaped.

westvandal

Sep 18, 2008
i agree as far as team strategy goes, but thinking mostly about points in the standings ... not clear on when i expect an upswing driven by the young talent ... can we even expect Juvolevi to make an impact before '18-'19 or later? same w Petterson & co? Hopefully Boeser breaks out and Virtanen shows something. But i think our best bet is to try and get 1OA next draft, plus maximize picks at TDL from UFAs, though at this point that's only Sedins & Guddy (so good luck) We need more franchise picks next summer, and the draft seems pretty good (?) https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-draft-should-have-plenty-of-talent/c-290140082

but even then, it might be years after that for them to mature

not trying to be a downer, but trying to be realistic about when we can expect that early-2000s upswing we enjoyed last time (before taking a decade to bloom to full proportion of disappointment..)

the bummer lat time was that it took the Sedins SO long to get it going ...they pretty much burned their whole early-20s

Make no mistake about it, we are headed for dark times. Our blown drafts from 2005-2011 are hurting us big time now. Sedins should be playing a tweener 2nd/3rd line role next season but have to once again play major roles.

I still think philosophically speaking, I can handle the pain knowing there is finally a plan in place which should have happened the moment we fired Tortorella. The last 2 seasons were the most angry I have ever been at the Canucks and i've been a fan of the since the late 80s.

What I AM concerned with is what the impending losing will do to the culture of the team having Horvat and Boeser etc. bearing the brunt.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Tough to say, though I do think this team can continue to get worse. We're still on that down swing under this Lindenning regime. Rock bottom would probably be if they're re-signed.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I think that there will be a slight 10 point improvement this year. but no playoffs for a 3rd year in a row.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think that there will be a slight 10 point improvement this year. but no playoffs for a 3rd year in a row.

A 10 point improvement is not slight. That's fairly significant.

I don't see how this team gets close to .500. The defense is worse. Goaltending with Miller (likely) gone will be worse than what we saw last season. Our forward group isn't very good. I think dropping another 10 points is more likely than gaining 10 points.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
We already hit rock bottom... now we just keep slamming into it hoping to push the bar down lower...

Really it all depends when we get good management.

vt89*

May 6, 2010
We already have it

We got exactly what we wanted- the tank. And now we are stockpiling talent for the coming years.

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
The bottom will be U shaped, not V shaped.

Or even L shaped. This team needs a lot to go right this year to hit .500. To me that would be a successful season with the talent level being what it is. I still see a lack of high end talent in the pipeline. Sure they've added a few nice pieces but they need two or three more elite kids to add to the nice group of complimentary youngsters they have. If all goes well I can see a return to playoffs in 2020-21. Maybe a season sooner if a few players defy odds and improve more than they are projected to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad