• 2020s

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ralph

Stevehead.
Jan 11, 2004
Riverside, CA
www.letsgokings.com
I was a Flyers fan and my brother was a big Kings fan. It was great for my dad because he would always get us Flyers against the Kings tickets which always seemed to be around my birthday. I became a actual Kings fan in 2002 because it was just easier to watch games than the Flyers. It wasn't much harder for my dad, he would just buy us both the same Kings related things and give us tickets together.

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
My earliest memory is a call from a kings game. "Sandstrom has it behind the net. Sandstrom sends it to Robitaille. Robitaille across to Gretzky! HE SCORES!" iirc. It is just an auditory memory though

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
This will give us an idea of how old some of us are here.

I can see it clearly now: very, very old!

(Might turn out very differently for the Reddit crowd who don't seem to mind that no organized discussion using that atrocious software is possible. They've only known chaos in their lives, so they consider chaos the norm and the only option.)

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: mysterman2

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Maybe slight tangent for me:

Late 1987: Family moved to Santa Clarita.

1988: I'm old enough to get the basic concept of sports. The Broncos/Redskins Super Bowl was the first sporting event that I recall watching. I didn't know any of the players, but could grasp that the team with the blue helmets was trying to score more than the team with the burgundy ones.

Meanwhile the Lakers and Dodgers conveniently win championships. The Kings acquire that Gretzky fella but it'd be a couple years before hockey would get on my radar. Even the Clippers won the draft lottery which sparked my interest in the draft. I've forever associated the NBA Draft with the beginning of summer vacation. Even though I don't really follow basketball nowadays, the NBA Draft still makes me smile.

1990: The first hockey game I can remember was the Kings knocking off the defending champion Flames in double OT. If my memory serves me correctly, my family had done a day trip to Orange County and we were listening to the game to the radio. We got home just in time to Mike Krushelnyski score.

1991: I distinctly recall an older kid at my school wearing a Bulls jackets as they were playing the Lakers in the NBA Finals. To that point not cheering for the home team was a foreign concept. My favorite baseball player was former Angel Chili Davis (switch hitter with power fascinated me as a kid) and he had signed with Minnesota earlier that year. So I decided to cheer on the Twins that postseason and they conveniently won the World Series.

(I just got back from a pleasant weekend in Minneapolis to watch Angels/Twins and Chargers/Vikings. I'm unofficially racing a buddy to get to every MLB park and I hadn't seen Target Field.)

1993: Kings make the SCF. Hockey is the new hotness in the school yard.

1994: I had switched schools and all the cool kids were into hockey. To that point I really only knew the Kings roster. They were talking up Pavel Bure guy and I needed to get up to speed. I learned about the other teams thanks to NHLPA '93 on SNES.

I met Gretzky in Vegas once and I thanked him for getting me into hockey. He pointed to my Devils shirt and asked how that happened. I explained that when the Kings missed the playoffs in 1994, everybody at my school picked temporary teams to cheer for. Most of the cool kids jumped on the Sharks bandwagon and I wanted to be different.

I vaguely recall watching this Sabres/Devils 4OT 0-0 marathon. This had been Hasek's breakout season. In NHLPA '93, Hasek was Ed Belfour's backup in Chicago. The Blackhawks were the most fun team to play thanks to Jeremy Roenick (that Swingers scene would blow my mind years later) and I'd often swap in Hasek in net.

But I was fascinated by that Brodeur guy who wasn't in the video game. This was the tail end of my baseball card collecting days so I definitely overvalued rookies. The Devils had an entertaining run but were knocked off by the Messier Rangers; The Messier Oilers had knocked out the Kings in 1990+1991 so I already didn't like him.

The Kings missed the playoffs in 1995, so I decided to jump on the Devils bandwagon one more time. They conveniently won the Cup. The other kids started to accuse me of being a frontrunner as they remembered my temporary allegiance to the Twins a few years earlier. So in an effort to show them up, I've overcompensated as a Devils fan for 25+ years.

Meanwhile Sam McMaster traded away most of the Kings core. I looked it up a few years back and I think Rob Blake was the only guy on the 1993 playoff and 1996 Opening Night rosters.

But I kept the Kings as my 'local' team even though the Ducks were geographically closer after I moved to San Diego. Kings were fun to follow post-lockout since building up a roster from the ground up appealed to the prospect nerd in me.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
My dad and my uncle were and are big Kings fans. When I was a kid around 7-8 they’d take me to Staples to watch them play. What really sealed the deal for me was Palffy. The finesse and style he played with was second to none for me on the Kings and he got me hooked along with my Uncle and Dad constantly exposing me to the Kings.

My dad used to own a shop so it’d pretty much be me a little kid by myself enduring some of the worst Kings teams with my sister who posts on this board asking me the same question “why do you always watch them? They never win”

And now my wife has taken that mantle, “why do you get upset watching the Kings, aren’t they usually losing anyways”.

LB

Jun 4, 2014
Los Angeles
1989 for me. I was just a kid and my family moved to LA that year. I already liked hockey in general so probably would've rooted for the Kings anyway, but once I found out that Gretzky played for them now, I was sold. When someone gave free tickets to my dad that fall, we went to my first Kings game and they beat Winnipeg 9:5! It was about as exciting as a first game could be and I became obsessed after that.

About the poll on this thread - I'm surprised to see so few fans that started during the 2010s during/after the Cup runs. I guess those runs didn't bring on as many new fans as everyone thought would happen.

LB

Jun 4, 2014
Los Angeles
Maybe slight tangent for me:

Late 1987: Family moved to Santa Clarita.

1988: I'm old enough to get the basic concept of sports. The Broncos/Redskins Super Bowl was the first sporting event that I recall watching. I didn't know any of the players, but could grasp that the team with the blue helmets was trying to score more than the team with the burgundy ones.

Meanwhile the Lakers and Dodgers conveniently win championships. The Kings acquire that Gretzky fella but it'd be a couple years before hockey would get on my radar. Even the Clippers won the draft lottery which sparked my interest in the draft. I've forever associated the NBA Draft with the beginning of summer vacation. Even though I don't really follow basketball nowadays, the NBA Draft still makes me smile.

1990: The first hockey game I can remember was the Kings knocking off the defending champion Flames in double OT. If my memory serves me correctly, my family had done a day trip to Orange County and we were listening to the game to the radio. We got home just in time to Mike Krushelnyski score.

1991: I distinctly recall an older kid at my school wearing a Bulls jackets as they were playing the Lakers in the NBA Finals. To that point not cheering for the home team was a foreign concept. My favorite baseball player was former Angel Chili Davis (switch hitter with power fascinated me as a kid) and he had signed with Minnesota earlier that year. So I decided to cheer on the Twins that postseason and they conveniently won the World Series.

(I just got back from a pleasant weekend in Minneapolis to watch Angels/Twins and Chargers/Vikings. I'm unofficially racing a buddy to get to every MLB park and I hadn't seen Target Field.)

1993: Kings make the SCF. Hockey is the new hotness in the school yard.

1994: I had switched schools and all the cool kids were into hockey. To that point I really only knew the Kings roster. They were talking up Pavel Bure guy and I needed to get up to speed. I learned about the other teams thanks to NHLPA '93 on SNES.

I met Gretzky in Vegas once and I thanked him for getting me into hockey. He pointed to my Devils shirt and asked how that happened. I explained that when the Kings missed the playoffs in 1994, everybody at my school picked temporary teams to cheer for. Most of the cool kids jumped on the Sharks bandwagon and I wanted to be different.

I vaguely recall watching this Sabres/Devils 4OT 0-0 marathon. This had been Hasek's breakout season. In NHLPA '93, Hasek was Ed Belfour's backup in Chicago. The Blackhawks were the most fun team to play thanks to Jeremy Roenick (that Swingers scene would blow my mind years later) and I'd often swap in Hasek in net.

But I was fascinated by that Brodeur guy who wasn't in the video game. This was the tail end of my baseball card collecting days so I definitely overvalued rookies. The Devils had an entertaining run but were knocked off by the Messier Rangers; The Messier Oilers had knocked out the Kings in 1990+1991 so I already didn't like him.

The Kings missed the playoffs in 1995, so I decided to jump on the Devils bandwagon one more time. They conveniently won the Cup. The other kids started to accuse me of being a frontrunner as they remembered my temporary allegiance to the Twins a few years earlier. So in an effort to show them up, I've overcompensated as a Devils fan for 25+ years.

Meanwhile Sam McMaster traded away most of the Kings core. I looked it up a few years back and I think Rob Blake was the only guy on the 1993 playoff and 1996 Opening Night rosters.

But I kept the Kings as my 'local' team even though the Ducks were geographically closer after I moved to San Diego. Kings were fun to follow post-lockout since building up a roster from the ground up appealed to the prospect nerd in me.

but who did you root for in 2012? I'm assuming New Jersey, but were you happy for the Kings at least a little?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
but who did you root for in 2012? I'm assuming New Jersey, but were you happy for the Kings at least a little?

Was rooting for the Devils, but a good chunk of my friends are Kings fans so I was happy to see them happy. I went to Game 4 of Kings/Blues. If anything I'm just glad the SCF games in LA were on weeknights which prevented me from driving up. Although I almost convinced a buddy to take a last second flight to New Jersey for Game 5 since the flight+game ticket was about the same price for a ticket for Game 6.

predator-handshake.gif

Usually I can cool down any heckling when I see a Devils@Kings game by saying New Jersey kept the Mighty Ducks off the Cup in 2003 and the Kings kept the Rangers off in 2014 so we can be happy with those results.

Reactions: King'sPawn

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
1993. I was aware of hockey but wasn't that interested in it. That year they were in the playoffs so a couple of guys at work had a small TV by today's standards playing the games. Working IT I was sitting at my desk a lot so I started watching and got hooked. Both of them had season tickets to The Forum so I was able to get free or very cheap tickets to games they didn't go to. I have been to many games there and the Staples Center since.

Back then the Kings also practiced in a small rink called the Iceoplex in Van Nuys that you could go watch them for free. The most memorable part was when one player broke the glass behind the goal. It completely shattered. The coach waved his logbook or whatever it was to signal that the glass was broken. A player must have missread his waving and shot the puck right at the book and paper went flying everywhere. A guy two seats away from me caught the fluttering puck.

Damn that sounds like a Mighty Ducks movie but it's true. I have been a fan since.

In 2012 I had a job to do downtown the same day as the parade. I brought my brother with me who is a casual fan. We were at the Corner of Chick Hearn and Figuera so of course we were captured on the news and busted big time at work with everyone there watching it on TV.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Very late 80's as I was born in '85. My dad was just pro LA sports all the way and would take me to Kings games regularly from a very young age onward, Hockey was always my favorite sport early on as all the kids on my street played hockey. I remember being able to recite every player's name and number in kindergarten and first grade. Robitaille was my favorite player, but everything was amplified x100 during the early 90's and onward obviously after the Gretzky trade and the '93 run. I've been an obsessed fanatic since before I could remember.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think it’s pretty wild how much of you left the state of California altogether. I’ve noticed many of you guys don’t even live in this state anymore.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
1993. I was aware of hockey but wasn't that interested in it. That year they were in the playoffs so a couple of guys at work had a small TV by today's standards playing the games. Working IT I was sitting at my desk a lot so I started watching and got hooked. Both of them had season tickets to The Forum so I was able to get free or very cheap tickets to games they didn't go to. I have been to many games there and the Staples Center since.

Back then the Kings also practiced in a small rink called the Iceoplex in Van Nuys that you could go watch them for free. The most memorable part was when one player broke the glass behind the goal. It completely shattered. The coach waved his logbook or whatever it was to signal that the glass was broken. A player must have missread his waving and shot the puck right at the book and paper went flying everywhere. A guy two seats away from me caught the fluttering puck.

Damn that sounds like a Mighty Ducks movie but it's true. I have been a fan since.

In 2012 I had a job to do downtown the same day as the parade. I brought my brother with me who is a casual fan. We were at the Corner of Chick Hearn and Figuera so of course we were captured on the news and busted big time at work with everyone there watching it on TV.

I remember when that rink opened.....such hoopla, ribbon cutting, everything....when it opened, it was the cleanest rink in the Valley.....I remember playing pickup there in the mornings, mid mornings etc, left through the back door and had a kid ask me for my autograph, I was 20-22 at the time something like that, confused the f*** out of me.....then realized it was because I left through the back door.....and when LA practiced there, they would do that etc... remember playing a few college games there......one time was playing, kid scored on me from the corner.....on purpose, banked it off the back of my head with a snap shot.....I was so pissed at the time.....

Reactions: KingsCrunch

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
My dad had been a Kings fan since the early 70's. But for me, the first hockey game I ever saw was the Frenzy on Figueroa (2001). That single game sealed it for me. Hockey immediately became my favorite sport. I miss Ziggy and Adam Deadmarsh. Would love to see them playing in todays game. Adam Deadmarsh would be the most hated player in the league in todays game.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I think it’s pretty wild how much of you left the state of California altogether. I’ve noticed many of you guys don’t even live in this state anymore.
Not enough money or opportunity in the world could have kept me there, and it’s a god damn shame.

The state that I grew up in, is nowhere to be found anymore. I loved my time growing up, but it’s an unrecognizable dump by comparison now.

I got to play a lot of youth hockey at the Iceoplex. That’s a name I have not heard in many years.

Christ, I’m getting old.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Work required me to move. And my fiancee is very close to her family up here, so I've never tried to force a move back close to where I used to live.

Reactions: Sol

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
My friend's got a good look at a bunch of Edmonton Oilers wieners at the Iceoplex in 1997. Bunch of naked players rushed to the locker room entrance when one of their trainers walked in with a bag of McDonald's, and my friends happened to be standing right by the door.

That same day I ran into Boris Mironov, wearing a lime green coat, standing in line at the McDonald's at Iceoplex. I swear that rink had a McD's built to appease Wayne Gretzky.
453C49ovNYXFnj1wbdetKBxOSZNUzno9YhZsxAUHMr0.jpg

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Not enough money or opportunity in the world could have kept me there, and it’s a god damn shame.

The state that I grew up in, is nowhere to be found anymore. I loved my time growing up, but it’s an unrecognizable dump by comparison now.

I got to play a lot of youth hockey at the Iceoplex. That’s a name I have not heard in many years.

Christ, I’m getting old.
It’s definitely not the same anymore as cost of living and just economic policies are just rife with taxation. Just kinda depressing that so many people are gone even though it’s for justifiable reasons.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I was a Flyers fan and my brother was a big Kings fan. It was great for my dad because he would always get us Flyers against the Kings tickets which always seemed to be around my birthday. I became a actual Kings fan in 2002 because it was just easier to watch games than the Flyers. It wasn't much harder for my dad, he would just buy us both the same Kings related things and give us tickets together.
Its weird how the NHL schedule back in the day had games falling on almost the same date every year. The Kings at least for three or four years played on Presidents Day at home. I remember that specifically because my dad would have the day off work, I had it off school, and it was a 1 PM start. We went to at least three of those games. It also seems to me those games were against the Capitals could be wrong on that detail though.

Reactions: Ralph

Hendrydoso

Apr 30, 2007
Sacramento
My dad brought me and my brothers to a Kings/Bruins game in 1976, I was eight. He claims he chose hockey for us as a family sport because the tickets were cheaper than the alternative sports back then. My Mom went to games at the Long Beach Sports Arena, the first-ever game at The Forum, and the first-ever game at The Staples Center(with me!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad