Sportsnet: When did the NHL admit Matthews goal against Colorado should have been allowed?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm surprised that it's not a strategy to push the boundaries of GI when you're down a goal these days. With the way the calls are decided, even if you "interfere" with the goalie, it seems you have a good chance to have it allowed.

Especially when we see Freddy getting knocked down so much, you'd think that we'd try to do the same to them.
I wonder if Freddy does not get the benefit of the doubt with these calls since he was fined for diving earlier this season.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
I wonder if Freddy does not get the benefit of the doubt with these calls since he was fined for diving earlier this season.

Forgot about that. I hope not, but it's an interesting thought. There are many refs; I guess it wouldn't be a shock if any of them were petty that way.

I do feel like there seems to be bit of a battle going on between the league and refs. I believe the refs fought for the right to keep GI reviews up to the referees; not the league. It almost appears that they are allowing more contact than before as a deliberate attempt to thumb their noses at the league after receiving heat at the beginning of the year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Forgot about that. I hope not, but it's an interesting thought. There are many refs; I guess it wouldn't be a shock if any of them were petty that way.
I wonder how many times Mike Smith has got the benefit of the doubt on goalie interference challenges, because compared to Freddy he is known as a much bigger diver and I can't remember if he's been fined for it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad