When did the excited-sounding "It's A Power Play!" PA announcements start?

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
When did the rousing PA announcements introducing the home team's power plays begin? Does every U.S. team do it or just some? Has any Canadian team ever done it? It sounds a little silly to me, as though a power play is like getting a multi-ball in pinball or something, but I guess it's kind of fun. As a Jets fan who watched no NHL games between 1996 and 2011, it was one of the changes that I noticed right away.

I would even extend the query to when the modern-style loud/obnoxious home-team goal announcements started ... did that require a change in NHL policy or did some teams just start doing it and it caught on? It used to be that the public address announcer announced both teams' goals in essentially the same dispassionate way.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it started with the Mighty Ducks in the 90s to get their crowd pumped up. Then they started to attach the announcements with a sponsor, and it took off.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
gotta be only certain markets?

I know the Bruins dont do this. All you get is the player/infraction/time of infraction announcement from the PA

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The absolute worst is the Flyers PA guy.
Five to ten years ago, I felt bad for the Philly play-by-play guy (I don't know his name), because he always had to say, "So-and-so scores for a taste of Tasty Cakes!", as an ad.

That was pathetic. I can only imagine the broadcast crew's reaction when they were told they were going to have to do that for years to come...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it started with the Mighty Ducks in the 90s to get their crowd pumped up. Then they started to attach the announcements with a sponsor, and it took off.

My recollection is similar. It was either Anaheim or Florida after the 1993 expansion.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Some junior teams sell sponsoring for the man advantage. I always think of the 'Booster Juice Powerplay', which I guess means that it worked (although I can only count on one hand the number of times I've actually purchased something there).

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
agreed....the Rangers don't do this either.

The absolute worst is the Flyers PA guy.

Lou Nolan is the Flyers PA announcer. Been with the Flyers since 1972 and really doesn't do much today except announce penalties, goals and shots on goal. Mostly everything else is prerecorded, namely last minute of play announcements and the grating, "The Flyers are going on the Pecoooo Powerplay."

Five to ten years ago, I felt bad for the Philly play-by-play guy (I don't know his name), because he always had to say, "So-and-so scores for a taste of Tasty Cakes!", as an ad.

That was pathetic. I can only imagine the broadcast crew's reaction when they were told they were going to have to do that for years to come...

That TastyKake contest was around when I started watching hockey in 1984. TastyKake (how the company spells their name) held a promotion where fans would mail in their names and address for a chance to win a case of cupcakes or other TastyKake products if the Flyers scored on the PP. The late Gene Hart would announce a name of a fan on air before every PP. If the Flyers scored, Hart would say, "Score! Sinisalo scores for a case of TastyKakes! Congratulations to The Panther!"

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
That TastyKake contest was around when I started watching hockey in 1984. TastyKake (how the company spells their name) held a promotion where fans would mail in their names and address for a chance to win a case of cupcakes or other TastyKake products if the Flyers scored on the PP. The late Gene Hart would announce a name of a fan on air before every PP. If the Flyers scored, Hart would say, "Score! Sinisalo scores for a case of TastyKakes! Congratulations to The Panther!"
Wow, didn't realize it had been around that long. Thanks!

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Lou Nolan is the Flyers PA announcer. Been with the Flyers since 1972 and really doesn't do much today except announce penalties, goals and shots on goal. Mostly everything else is prerecorded, namely last minute of play announcements and the grating, "The Flyers are going on the Pecoooo Powerplay."

On the other side of the state, we get the equally grating "Your Paaaaaaaanguins are on.... THHHHHE POWWWWWWERBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL POWWWWWWWERPLAAAAAAAAAY!"

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In Ottawa, we have the Big Ben chimes followed by "Pppppppooooowweeerrrpllaaaayyy....." which I think is used in a bunch of rinks.

Reactions: Tarantula

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I'd be curious regarding the timeline of all of these celebratory traditions. First time a hat was thrown on the ice after 3 goals? First team to play a song over the loudspeakers following a goal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad