When Alfie Retires

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
His performance alone doesn't warrant a jersey retirement, but that he played a considerable amount of games, was captain, was important to the city, and was a good enough player means I'd accept the jersey retirement easily.

I will accept it too. :)

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Yes, because if you don't think his jersey should be retired you hate him! You're either with us or with the terrorists!!

It's funny watching how threatened and angry the rabble gets when someone doesn't agree with them.

Come now-rabble?terrorists?

What happened to the pathetic jilted girlfriends?

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
If karlsson can't captain a team because he's elite and people "can't keep up", then what about players like Tavares, Stamkos, Giroux, Toews, Sedin, and Ovechkin who are all arguably elite and are captains of their respective teams. (I didn't list Crosby because it would be ridiculous if he wasn't captain, although you could include him too).

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
What the hell? What kind of logic is this? It's kind of what people achieve that makes them great, you can't just take them away. Take away Roys cup runs with Montreal and he was just a goalie who demanded a trade.

No, he was consistently the best. Alfie was never the best. In Roys time with Montreal he led them to 2 cups, was a 1st team all star multiple times, won the Jenning multiple times, won the Vezina multiple times, and won the Conn Smythe trophy multiple times.

Thats a very far cry from Alfies time in Ottawa, where one good playoff run turned him from eternal whipping boy to god literally overnight...a playoff run where he tied for the team lead in scoring with his two linemates. Comparing Roy winning the cup twice, being named the best in the league twice, and winning the Conn Smythe twice to a single failed Cup run is laughable.

John Holmes*

Add on that neither of the last two Habs teams that won the Cup had any business being there.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
No, he was consistently the best. Alfie was never the best. In Roys time with Montreal he led them to 2 cups, was a 1st team all star multiple times, won the Jenning multiple times, won the Vezina multiple times, and won the Conn Smythe trophy multiple times.

Thats a very far cry from Alfies time in Ottawa, where one good playoff run turned him from eternal whipping boy to god literally overnight...a playoff run where he tied for the team lead in scoring with his two linemates. Comparing Roy winning the cup twice, being named the best in the league twice, and winning the Conn Smythe twice to a single failed Cup run is laughable.

Ottawa fans in general are desperate to hang a hero hat on someone and need that fan feeling of hoping for dynasty and greater successful continuity which is exacerbated due to the organizations extremely young recent existence still bereft of any Stanley Cups. What senator legends can we praise and revel in? One? Alfie? ... I do and hope for many more.

Montreal has so many hockey heroes and cups. Ottawa hasn't really had the dilemma of retiring a players jersey yet.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

How is this Alfies fault? I'd blame this awful bi-polar fanbase before Alfie.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Yah the senators fan base will praise you when you do well, but them slit your throat with one bad season.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Yah the senators fan base will praise you when you do well, but them slit your throat with one bad season.

Haha no, the Senator fan base consists of weak lamo's that are more concerned with former players than current.

It's so pathetic with the "Is there a chance Alfie comes back", or the "When will Alfie's # be retired" threads...I cringe everytime I'm on this board now. Can we move the **** on already.

If his jersey is retired then the Sens will be cursed for eternity. Most of you guys on here are young, can't we just wait until we have some real sport heros to honor. You know like a champion or something.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
20 years is nothing to what some fan bases have suffered through and they can keep from acting like sens fans

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Haha no, the Senator fan base consists of weak lamo's that are more concerned with former players than current.

It's so pathetic with the "Is there a chance Alfie comes back", or the "When will Alfie's # be retired" threads...I cringe everytime I'm on this board now. Can we move the **** on already.

If his jersey is retired then the Sens will be cursed for eternity. Most of you guys on here are young, can't we just wait until we have some real sport heros to honor. You know like a champion or something.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that these boards weren't meant for discussion. I was interested in what some people thought on this matter, and these 6 pages show some people do have some good opinions to be shared. If you don't like a topic that's fine, but don't come strolling in here on your high horse telling people their opinions aren't valid and that it makes you cringe when you see threads like these.

Just did a quick search about how many threads were devoted to alfredsson retiring and whether or not his jersey will be retired, yah the only thread bearing some resemblance was the 2013 alfredsson thread, these don't appear that often

John Holmes*

I never understand why people always point to someone else that sucks worse as a way to make themselves feel better.

20 years of suckitude? Well the Leafs have 50! The Cubs have 100!

You know what...I don't care about other teams.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that these boards weren't meant for discussion. I was interested in what some people thought on this matter, and these 6 pages show some people do have some good opinions to be shared. If you don't like a topic that's fine, but don't come strolling in here on your high horse telling people their opinions aren't valid and that it makes you cringe when you see threads like these.

Just did a quick search about how many threads were devoted to alfredsson retiring and whether or not his jersey will be retired, yah the only thread bearing some resemblance was the 2013 alfredsson thread, these don't appear that often

Haha where the hell have you been...there was a freaking thread the day he head headed to Detroit about his legacy and retirement..then there was the thread about the first game against Ottawa....then the thread about when he comes back to Ottawa...then the thread about how the video tribute wasn't good enough...a couple of fantasy threads about getting him back for one more year and him getting the "C" ...and probably 5 others that were merged together...it's ******* cringing. I've never been so embarrassed to be a Sens fan.

Screw the search button and click through the Sens board threads....there will be a thread on every page, where you can fantasize about the great Daniel Alfredsson.

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
Personally, the more I think I about this, I more I realise that I always held Alfie in such high regard because he was so loyal to this city. It wasn't necessarily the statistics he was putting up. When seeing how high he was on the all-time list for points, I was always checking to see how high among players who did it with one team. The fact that he left and stated that what was important to me, didn't matter to him, kinda sucked. Just disappointing.

If his jersey is retired, I'll be happy for him anyway. However, I almost hope it isn't and that we save the first modern-era jersey retirement for a true hero to Ottawa. Either someone who brought a championship to Ottawa, or someone who retired doing his best to do so.

Alfie does fit other qualifications, so like I said, I'd be happy for him anyway.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Haha where the hell have you been...there was a freaking thread the day he head headed to Detroit about his legacy and retirement..then there was the thread about the first game against Ottawa....then the thread about when he comes back to Ottawa...then the thread about how the video tribute wasn't good enough...a couple of fantasy threads about getting him back for one more year and him getting the "C" ...and probably 5 others that were merged together...it's ******* cringing. I've never been so embarrassed to be a Sens fan.

Screw the search button and click through the Sens board threads....there will be a thread on every page, where you can fantasize about the great Daniel Alfredsson.

How am I fantasizing about alfredsson? Please enlighten me. I'm not even a sens fan, I just grew up around Ottawa and all of my family cheer for the sens. And what's with you and trying to put people down. Does it make you feel better about yourself? You need to shove others down so you can raise yourself higher on your pedestal? You're embarrassed to be a sens fan because people are discussing what will happen with a player who served as this teams captain for more than a decade? Grow up. People leave, you're probably one of the people who take it to heart. Hockey is a business and it's about the money. This is a board meant for discussion and people will discuss what they want to. Quit being so judgmental about what people have an interest in and want to discuss with others. Get over yourself. If you're embarrassed by being a fan I wouldn't consider you a fan.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
It's kind of nice that this off season we're not debating whether Alfie stays another year or retires, for a change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad