Confirmed with Link: Wheeling Nailers Sign Alex Velischek

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Velischek_PIT_1_2011.jpg

The Wheeling Nailers, ECHL affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Montreal Canadiens, have signed defenseman Alex Velischek to a contract for the 2013-14 season.

Prior to turning pro, the Kinnelon, N.J. native spent four years at Providence College. During his time with the Friars, Velischek appeared in 113 games, totaling 27 points (2g-25a) and 102 penalty minutes, while also earning Hockey East Rookie of the Week honors during his freshman season, being named to the 2012 Hockey East All-Academic Team as a junior and leading the team with a +17 rating as a senior. In the midst of his sophomore season, he also suited up with the USHL's Sioux City Musketeers, where he notched 10 points (2g-8a) in 33 games.
http://www.echl.com/nailers-sign-defenseman-velischek-p185593

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
if not for the Crosby-DMV thread, this could have been the most off-seasony story of the off-season.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If he does well he might earn himself an AHL contrac next year.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
The Penguins' draft rights to Velischek expire this week and it didn't look like anyone else was going to offer him something better. At least he can consider himself still on the fringes of the organization.

And Wheeling is becoming the place to watch sons of former NHL players: Samuelsson, Hotham and now Velischek. The first two dads were even Pens. Maybe the Nailers get to add Archibald in a couple of years.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not sure what to think about this prospect, besides his NHL bloodlines, didn't he leave his NCAA team because of an issue with a coach who then was fired or left and then he returned?

What's the story behind that, only other thing I know about him is that he is a pretty swift skater.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Penguins' draft rights to Velischek expire this week and it didn't look like anyone else was going to offer him something better. At least he can consider himself still on the fringes of the organization.

And Wheeling is becoming the place to watch sons of former NHL players: Samuelsson, Hotham and now Velischek. The first two dads were even Pens. Maybe the Nailers get to add Archibald in a couple of years.

Why on earth would Philip be in Wheeling? He made big enough strides last year to earn a spot as a regular in WBS all year last year and should, going forward. He should be considered a veteran at this point.

The others you mentioned, sure, they belong there, Philip...no.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Why on earth would Philip be in Wheeling? He made big enough strides last year to earn a spot as a regular in WBS all year last year and should, going forward. He should be considered a veteran at this point.

The others you mentioned, sure, they belong there, Philip...no.

I think Burgs was just mentioning Samuelsson did play in Wheeling for a brief period of time. Not that he's going to be playing there next season.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Not sure what to think about this prospect, besides his NHL bloodlines, didn't he leave his NCAA team because of an issue with a coach who then was fired or left and then he returned?

What's the story behind that, only other thing I know about him is that he is a pretty swift skater.

Velischek left Providence during his sophomore year because of ice time disputes with the head coach. He played out the season in the USHL, and the following summer Providence changed coaches so he returned to college. Funny thing is he was drafted as a puck-moving defensemen with a productive high school career but in college his offense dried up nearly completely.

I think Burgs was just mentioning Samuelsson did play in Wheeling for a brief period of time. Not that he's going to be playing there next season.

Yes, that's what I meant. Once he gets leapfrogged on the depth chart (it's a question of when, not if IMO) I believe the Pens are more likely to trade him than send him to the ECHL.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Once he gets leapfrogged on the depth chart (it's a question of when, not if IMO) I believe the Pens are more likely to trade him than send him to the ECHL.

Could the Pens have a trading partner in the Rangers now that Ulf is there? Prospect swap? It would probably be the best case for everyone in this situation.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Based on those college and minor league numbers, he'll never get a whif of the big team. There are too many better options talent and upside-wise. That said he could make a living for himself in the AHL potentially if he has a couple big years in the ECHL.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Could the Pens have a trading partner in the Rangers now that Ulf is there? Prospect swap? It would probably be the best case for everyone in this situation.

Maybe Phoenix as well since they have his brother as one of their top prospects. The bloodlines should increase his trade chances but then again not every franchise is hellbent on collecting names like Carolina is with the Staals.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I must be missing something...Samuelsson went from a calming force in WBS and a guy that has improved a lot to a guy that the team should trade because of depth chart issues...why don't we just wait until camp starts.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I must be missing something...Samuelsson went from a calming force in WBS and a guy that has improved a lot to a guy that the team should trade because of depth chart issues...why don't we just wait until camp starts.

Yeah I don't think anyone is suggesting we trade him right now but he makes the most sense of the D prospects to move as he's older than most of the other D prospects and doesn't have a particular standout skill. We've already got Bortuzzo at the NHL level who has a similar skill set but further along. Unfortunately I don't think Samuelsson is worth much but he could be a nice addition to a package at the deadline or maybe we can swap him for a bottom 6 prospect.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005

Samuelsson improving last season doesn't mean much to me because he was so bad previously. He did nothing at Boston College (unless we're counting that collision with a streetcar), turned pro too early for whatever reason, then did nothing again as a rookie in WBS. He admitted that he is a slow starter every time he steps up to the next level but for a late 2nd round pick he's been very meh so far. And with Harrington, D'Agostino and Ruopp coming in this fall, and Määttä and Pouliot due next year Samuelsson will soon find himself in a tight spot on the WBS depth chart.

Of course he's still young and could take a big step this coming season. Defensive defensemen are sometimes slow to develop (extreme example: Scuderi who also wasn't great at anything in particular and only broke out in his late 20s). But my guess is the Pens will rather trade him than wait for that to happen. There's just too much of a logjam on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad