Wheeling averaging 2,040 in attendance

AlanMSaunders

Aug 25, 2005
Pittsburgh
No NHL team has control over what system an ECHL team plays. That is up to the coach of the ECHL team.

The outside ownership interest I was referring to is the Wheeling ownership. Why would Pittsburgh or Montreal, who have no ownership in the teams, pay money to support that outside ownership?

I could see the Pens stepping in and helping out IF they saw a way to return the franchise to viability. The Nailers do play the Penguins' system, and mostly rely on Wilkes-Barre for players. The Penguins have used the Nailers proximity to bend the cap rules in the past. There's a reason the teams have been affiliated for 15 years. That's longer than most AA teams survive, let alone affiliate with one team.

lennysundahl

Dec 21, 2006
Huntington, WV
I could see the Pens stepping in and helping out IF they saw a way to return the franchise to viability. The Nailers do play the Penguins' system, and mostly rely on Wilkes-Barre for players. The Penguins have used the Nailers proximity to bend the cap rules in the past. There's a reason the teams have been affiliated for 15 years. That's longer than most AA teams survive, let alone affiliate with one team.
I thought that was one factor that came into play when the Brooks Brothers announced they were selling--I seem to recall the Pens publicly stated their preference that the Nailers stay in Wheeling, which is a lot more than, for example, the Sharks have been saying about the Bulls moving from the Cow Palace.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Control over the system played and a close by ECHL Operation where player movement throughout the organizations is simple AHL WBS Penguins and AHL Hamilton Bulldogs.

agreed. If you lose the Nailers, then you're looking at the Penguins having to share a franchise with another team.

And as you mentioned, you might have a few players getting ice time with a different ECHL team, but they wouldn't be playing the same system if the Nailers fold/move.

That said, you have to wonder how long this team will remain in Wheeling.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
I'd watch for more NHL teams buying into AA franchises like edmonton with bakersfield that could be a hope for wheeling that the pens could purchase the team . due to the fact that Reading was just bought buy a local bussiness man And the caps Rumored to move a AA franchise into Baltimore . Its a good possibilty that philly alines with Reading . and the pens purchase wheeling. unless philly replaces trenton with another franchise. then you might see wheeling move there

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
agreed. If you lose the Nailers, then you're looking at the Penguins having to share a franchise with another team.

And as you mentioned, you might have a few players getting ice time with a different ECHL team, but they wouldn't be playing the same system if the Nailers fold/move.

Montreal uses Wheeling as their AA affiliate too.

bhigo59

Oct 8, 2007
I'd watch for more NHL teams buying into AA franchises like edmonton with bakersfield that could be a hope for wheeling that the pens could purchase the team . due to the fact that Reading was just bought buy a local bussiness man And the caps Rumored to move a AA franchise into Baltimore . Its a good possibilty that philly alines with Reading . and the pens purchase wheeling. unless philly replaces trenton with another franchise. then you might see wheeling move there

I live in the Reading metro area and it is highly unlikely that Reading would affiliate with Flyers/Phantoms due to managing company of the arena. Comcast runs the Wells Fargo in Philly and will do the same with the new arena in Allentown (Phantoms new home next season). SMG runs the building in Reading and just signed a new contract to continue to do that. No way Comcast gets involved in that. Now if Reading would sign a deal down the road with Comcast that would happen, but not for the next few years.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

you're forgetting one thing, Royals:

The ECHL Has the rule where they have final say once a market suspends ops, just as Trenton did twice, 1st when the Devils couldn't find a buyer for the original Titans/Devils franchise, and they still hold Trenton once the 2nd Titans franchise was created.

as for Baltimore, now that Reading has been settled ownership-wise, why would Reading want to be searching for a new parent club, much as they did when both Toronto and Boston left, and should Baltimore return, where would that leave the Royals, as an independent?

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

The ECHL Has the rule where they have final say once a market suspends ops, just as Trenton did twice, 1st when the Devils couldn't find a buyer for the original Titans/Devils franchise, and they still hold Trenton once the 2nd Titans franchise was created.

What?

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
I live in the Reading metro area and it is highly unlikely that Reading would affiliate with Flyers/Phantoms due to managing company of the arena. Comcast runs the Wells Fargo in Philly and will do the same with the new arena in Allentown (Phantoms new home next season). SMG runs the building in Reading and just signed a new contract to continue to do that. No way Comcast gets involved in that. Now if Reading would sign a deal down the road with Comcast that would happen, but not for the next few years.

True But you also have to remeber the SMG AND BCCA Both sold their stock in the Royals overall it wouldn't be SMG's decision whether or not to affiliate with Philly. At least i dont think it would I could be wrong because at this point would SMG still have a governing factor in the team.

Last edited:

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA

I think i get what your saying but you have t remember before when philly had a ownership stock in trenton thew team was makeing money and winning .

Gibbie42

Aug 5, 2011
Evansville, IN

Whut? Why would the Flyers give a damn about who runs the arena that the Royals play in?

bhigo59

Oct 8, 2007
Whut? Why would the Flyers give a damn about who runs the arena that the Royals play in?

It's about business, Comcast would never get in bed with SMG. Competition does not make a good business partner. It is well known around here this would never happen unless Comcast would manage the arena...

Gibbie42

Aug 5, 2011
Evansville, IN
It's about business, Comcast would never get in bed with SMG. Competition does not make a good business partner. It is well known around here this would never happen unless Comcast would manage the arena...

Ahh Google gave me the missing piece of the puzzle. Comcast owns the Flyers. This I did not realize. However, the reasoning that they would not do business with SMG is likely because SMG was part owner of the Royals, not that they managed the arena. Since the Royals were sold to a local owner, that may change. Not that I think the Royals are actually looking for a new affiliate, things seem to be working pretty well with their set up now.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

I just cant see how or why the NHL would want to do that. Outside of goaltending most of these guys are going nowhere but the AHL. Not sure the NHL really needs the ECHL that much. I guess as a place to stash bodies but not in a serious manner.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I just cant see how or why the NHL would want to do that. Outside of goaltending most of these guys are going nowhere but the AHL. Not sure the NHL really needs the ECHL that much. I guess as a place to stash bodies but not in a serious manner.

The ECHL serves as a development arm for players, coaches and officials. It also serves a developmental arm/overflow valve for the AHL.

For the small amount of cost that the NHL actually incurs-mainly player salaries of drafted players and contracted officials-the league gets quite amount of benefit from the ECHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad