Wheat Kings get 1st Pick

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Saskatoon wins the draft lottery which in turn means Brandon Wheat Kings win the draft lottery because of a trade in 2012. The Wheat Kings traded Brenden Walker to the Blades for two draft picks but more importantly, they received the rights to swap 2014 (1st) round bantam picks.

Kelly McCrimmon continues to prove he is one of the best GM's in the WHL.

BaseHockey

Jan 8, 2013
So who will they pick?

Would they consider trading the pick?

This team won the draft last year hands down, with the players they selected.
Since this year is not a deep as the past two years, nowhere near the 97(2012) or 98(2013) year. I would think they would take their pick and then trade for next years group which is looking like a good group.

If they could grab Mattheos, or Leschyshyn and then trade away.
If they needed a goalie wait a few rounds(4th) and pick up Scott from Alberta. Not a deep year for goalies at all.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Since this year is not a deep as the past two years, nowhere near the 97(2012) or 98(2013) year. I would think they would take their pick and then trade for next years group which is looking like a good group.

If they needed a goalie wait a few rounds(4th) and pick up Scott from Alberta. Not a deep year for goalies at all.

They are solid in goal with Papirny over the next 2 to 3 years

I doubt that the Wheats Kings will trade there pick. The 1st pick even in a weak draft should still be a good player.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
They will take their first round pick, if a year considered weak it only means the depth is not there. The top ten every year are still strong.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
The Wheat Kings will add another strong player with 1st pick they are going to be a strong team for the next 2 to 3 years

They have a strong group of 17 year old players Hawryluk, Quenneville, and Pilon along with Pankewicz, Coulter and Kitt who all seen playing time and all looked good at times.

16 year olds Gabreille and Shmyr have a lot of promise

15 year olds Clague, Patrick and Kaspick

Kelly has a lot of talent to work with future looks bright for Wheat Kings

icnet

Aug 1, 2012

I keep hearing this statement and looking at the most informative site the AMBHL. The curve has minimally changed with first years in the league. If the 97 and 98s are so deep should this not justify a change in numbers. The numbers show a peak with the 98s and then the 99s rebound over the 96s and 97s.

96s 70 first years
97s 65 first years
98s 84 first years
99s 78 first years
00s 76 first years

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site

Why would they consider trading this pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad