What's your opinion with the Jackets moving to the East Conference

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm going along with the general lin of thinking that it's good from a time-zone/travel perspexctive for both the players and the fans (especially those watching on TV).

Just too hard to say and too much in flux to discuss the competitiveness issue vis-a-vis the teams in the new division.

Personally, for my fan-dom, it's a little difficult. Having grown up in Pittsburgh I've been a Pens fan my whole life (I was born a year before that team). Flipping to a CBJ-first fan wasn't that difficult - Columbus had been my home for more than 10 years when the CBJ began play, and besides, the Pens were in the East, meaning there wasn't a significant amount of internal conflict. That'll obviously change - which is not to say there's a chance in hell I will ever revert to a Pens-first fan.

That said, I've got a built-in hatred for the Flyers, Rangers and Capitals that gives me a distinct advantage on some of you.;)

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'm of the opinion that the East will have a hard time adjusting to the tight checking, relentless forechecking play of the Jackets. We easily match the speed of the East, they don't match our intensity, except for maybe the Bruins. It will be interesting to watch.

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
I'm going along with the general lin of thinking that it's good from a time-zone/travel perspexctive for both the players and the fans (especially those watching on TV).

Just too hard to say and too much in flux to discuss the competitiveness issue vis-a-vis the teams in the new division.

Personally, for my fan-dom, it's a little difficult. Having grown up in Pittsburgh I've been a Pens fan my whole life (I was born a year before that team). Flipping to a CBJ-first fan wasn't that difficult - Columbus had been my home for more than 10 years when the CBJ began play, and besides, the Pens were in the East, meaning there wasn't a significant amount of internal conflict. That'll obviously change - which is not to say there's a chance in hell I will ever revert to a Pens-first fan.

That said, I've got a built-in hatred for the Flyers, Rangers and Capitals that gives me a distinct advantage on some of you.;)

I was a Pens fan for almost 20 years until I switched to CBJ first, so like you, I hate almost every team in this division.

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
I was a Pens fan for almost 20 years until I switched to CBJ first, so like you, I hate almost every team in this division.

I'm the opposite. Always been a fan of predominately western teams(Avs & Blackhawks. The Foote fiasco was a weird one for me) so now I don't have to root against them as much. I've always kind of followed the 'Canes though, but that was just because they were the whale & any team that played in a mall was my kind of team, but alas that is long gone.

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
I dont like the move. Don't like the inbalanced conferences. Don't like the idea that nearly every team in our new conference is further away than it takes to drive to Chicago, Detroit or Nashville. Don't like the idea of losing regional rivalries that were established over the last 10 years with teams that have existing rivalries that have been established over decades. And I can't wait till the NHL gives up on Phoenix and moves them to Quebec City and then we are all back in the same place we were before realignment.

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
I think having a conference with 16 and a conference with 14 is indefensibly stupid. So while it helps the Jackets in some tangible ways I can't say I support it.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think having a conference with 16 and a conference with 14 is indefensibly stupid. So while it helps the Jackets in some tangible ways I can't say I support it.

I must be the only person the planet that doesn't bother in the slightest.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I dont like the move. Don't like the inbalanced conferences. Don't like the idea that nearly every team in our new conference is further away than it takes to drive to Chicago, Detroit or Nashville. Don't like the idea of losing regional rivalries that were established over the last 10 years with teams that have existing rivalries that have been established over decades. And I can't wait till the NHL gives up on Phoenix and moves them to Quebec City and then we are all back in the same place we were before realignment.

I'm not sure if I buy that part. Buffalo and the Pens are certainly close, I used to live in Pittsburgh and I did a ton of work in Buffalo. I've driven to Washington in 6.5 hours.

As far as the rivalries go, we'll still in the same conference as Detroit and outside of Nashville and Detroit, I really didn't feel much in the way of rivalries with other teams. In most cases I felt more like a bug that needed to be squashed.

To be honest, I'm already far more interested in playing the Bruins, Flyers, Devils, and Rangers far more than Detroit, Nashville, Hawks, and Blues. I don't care what the fans think of potential rivalries, we face that in every conference.

I will say that I am thrilled beyond belief to no longer be in the same conference and division as Nashville. I was bored with the whole Darth Vader thing and their fan celebration(s).

I would much rather play Ottawa and Montreal over the Nucks, Oilers, and Flames. I roll my eyes at the Jets, mostly, to be honest. Oh Toronto has a team?

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
From a personal standpoint, living in NY, I've thrilled that I'll be able to see Jackets games in MSG and soon the Barclays regularly.

I also think it's better for the team, travel-wise.

On a philosophical level, I'll miss the old division, I was really starting to hate the other teams in our division :sarcasm: Also, I just identify more with the cities represented in our old division. I like living where I live, but the Northeastern thing will always feel foreign to this Midwesterner. Imagine, they don't grow corn on Long Island, they harvest grapes for wine! I miss cornfields. At least Pittsburgh still feels familiar.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm of the opinion that the East will have a hard time adjusting to the tight checking, relentless forechecking play of the Jackets. We easily match the speed of the East, they don't match our intensity, except for maybe the Bruins. It will be interesting to watch.

While watching the SC games in the East, I am impressed by the speed most, if not all, teams show on offense. Much more so imo than West teams.

It will be interesting to see if the Jackets, should they continue their excellent checking all over the ice style, can slow them down or if Bob will be like a duck in a shooting gallery?

I worry about this. Thoughts?

yave1964

22 and counting
Mar 22, 2013
Lexington ohio
As a Wings fan, the same thing applies, We opened with a seven game series in Anaheim, if we beat Chicago then we will have another west coast series against either the Kings or Sharks.
Meanwhile, Boston played Toronto, New York, and likely Boston. The Wings in one series will put more miles than the Pens in three. This seems inheriting wrong. Columbus is close to a playoff team, they scared the heck out of me and frankly I was rooting for you to beat out the Wild.
So now, the Wings and Jackets are in the east where they belong.
The negative as I see it, we are both in a division with eight clubs, we have a fifty per cent chance to make the playoffs. The west has seven in a division with four making it, you they have a 57 percent chance to make it.
But I am sooo sick of four west coast trips a year, two to California and one to western Canada. One trip per city is going to be so much better.

And look at the natural rivalries. Columbus has not really developed a rivalry, in the new division with the Pens and other geographically close teams, the Jackets are developing a solid club and this move should be a blessing.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
The playoffs are not a lottery, they are a competition. Win and you're in. Everyone plays the same number of games. It's base on records not number of teams.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The playoffs are not a lottery, they are a competition. Win and you're in. Everyone plays the same number of games. It's base on records not number of teams.

Correction: It's based on records relative to the other teams, so the number of teams does matter.

yave1964

22 and counting
Mar 22, 2013
Lexington ohio
Correction: It's based on records relative to the other teams, so the number of teams does matter.

Thanks, like I said EASTERN CONFERENCE eight teams fighting for four spots
WESTERN CONFERENCE seven teams fighting for four spots.

All things being equal you have a slightly better chance at making the playoffs in the west.

FlaggerX

Mar 21, 2008
Columbus
I like that I'll be a be able to watch a bunch more games. And I think we'll do well so long as Bob resigns for his actual value

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The realignment is setting up for league expansion. Seattle is primed for a NHL team(big hockey following) especially with the NBA turning them down, why not try to snag an NHL franchise. I dont know where else on the west you could put a team though.
As for the jackets i love it, it only makes sense. Being in the west always confused me and it will only make our team tougher playing in a tighter race for a playoff spot against high output offenses. We do need to acquire the RIGHT player to help out offensively this season to keep up though. Just like last season I feel there may be a slight adjustment period, it just wont be near as long.

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
The realignment is setting up for league expansion. Seattle is primed for a NHL team(big hockey following) especially with the NBA turning them down, why not try to snag an NHL franchise. I dont know where else on the west you could put a team though.

I don't think they'll put another team in the West, but rather have four 8 team divisions. Play every team outside your division twice(48 games) play every team in your division 5 times(35, so play one only 4 times, 34) and you have a 82 game schedule with everybody having to travel. Then the only time a team has "extensive" travel is in the playoffs in which I don't think they'd complain to much. Something like:

EASTERN:

Lemieux Division
Pitt
Philly
Clb
Buf
Fla
TB
Wsh
Car

Orr Division
Bos
Mtl
Tor
NYR
NYI
NJ
Ott
Quebec

WESTERN

Gretzky Division
Edm.
Cgy
Van.
Seattle
L.A.
Ana
SJ
Pho

Howe Division
Det
Col
Chi
Nsh
Min
Win
StL
Dal

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't think they'll put another team in the West, but rather have four 8 team divisions. Play every team outside your division twice(48 games) play every team in your division 5 times(35, so play one only 4 times, 34) and you have a 82 game schedule with everybody having to travel. Then the only time a team has "extensive" travel is in the playoffs in which I don't think they'd complain to much. Something like:

EASTERN:

Lemieux Division
Pitt
Philly
Clb
Buf
Fla
TB
Wsh
Car

Orr Division
Bos
Mtl
Tor
NYR
NYI
NJ
Ott
Quebec

WESTERN

Gretzky Division
Edm.
Cgy
Van.
Seattle
L.A.
Ana
SJ
Pho

Howe Division
Det
Col
Chi
Nsh
Min
Win
StL
Dal

This is almost the same as my proposal! Right down to the number of matchups and division names.
A couple things I'd do differently:

1) The biggest potential revenue/fanbase source is adding another team in Toronto. It's an order of magnitude bigger than the hockey following in Seattle, although Seattle's would grow in time. (I currently live in the Seattle area, and it has more in common with Phoenix than it does with Toronto when it comes to hockey culture.) Adding teams in Toronto and Seattle and not in Quebec, would be the best possibility in terms of revenue, but a Toronto-Quebec expansion would be the cleanest because of point#2:

2) Make sure that there are no more than two time zones in a division. So Colorado would go to the Pacific-Mountain "Gretzky" division, and Toronto 2 or Columbus would join Detroit in the Central-Eastern "Howe" division.

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
1) The biggest potential revenue/fanbase source is adding another team in Toronto. It's an order of magnitude bigger than the hockey following in Seattle, although Seattle's would grow in time. (I currently live in the Seattle area, and it has more in common with Phoenix than it does with Toronto when it comes to hockey culture.) Adding teams in Toronto and Seattle and not in Quebec, would be the best possibility in terms of revenue, but a Toronto-Quebec expansion would be the cleanest because of point#2:

2) Make sure that there are no more than two time zones in a division. So Colorado would go to the Pacific-Mountain "Gretzky" division, and Toronto 2 or Columbus would join Detroit in the Central-Eastern "Howe" division.

-I don't see the NHL allowing 2 teams in the east, thus causing the 2 teams you just moved there to have to go back to the west. Although the NHL could always go to an 4 team, 8 division route ala the NFL

-Although I'm not "privy" to the going-ons in Seattle, I think they'd do good when it comes to hockey. They are desperate for some winter sports(since the NBA keeps bending them over) and I think people would show up just to spite David Stern, plus it'd be a natural rivalry for Vancouver. They are also already building a sports arena aren't they? If they are then they already have a place to play.

-Adding onto your "other potential places" to expand:
Whatever happened to K.C.? Although I'm skeptical about the validity of hockey there, they were serious about the penguins and already have a facility built.

Las Vegas, Although I think it would fail horribly(reasons Forbes said all pro sports teams would) I wouldn't be shocked to see the NHL try it.

Hartford, Bring back the Whale!!!!

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

EASTERN:

Lemieux Division
Pitt
Philly
Clb
Buf
Fla
TB
Wsh
Car

Orr Division
Bos
Mtl
Tor
NYR
NYI
NJ
Ott
Quebec

WESTERN

Gretzky Division
Edm.
Cgy
Van.
Seattle
L.A.
Ana
SJ
Pho

Howe Division
Det
Col
Chi
Nsh
Min
Win
StL
Dal

I do like this... the division names too... As for the playoffs, how about having the top three in each division seeded for the top 12 with the remaining four based on the best point count not seeded... this dilutes a weak division..

The only problem, Detroit will insist on being in whatever is called the East... therefore do away East and West and just have four North American conferences..

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The only problem, Detroit will insist on being in whatever is called the East... therefore do away East and West and just have four North American conferences..

The real reason Detroit wants to be in the East is that they don't want to be going through multiple time zones on their road trips, which is exhausting for the players and the fans who have to stay up so late. Sound familiar, Jacket fans?

The solution is to have all teams in divisions that don't include more than two time-zones, and keep extra-divisional play down to one away game per team.

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia

That's why you play everybody outside your division home & away. That way no one is traveling excessive amounts. Detroit couldn't complain about a west coast trip when everyone has to do it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad