What's your Goaltending for next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
If we did that then I can't imagine retaining a dime on Darling

Keep in mind that Hossa is cap-only. No actual money. And as long as they can stash him on LTIR, I'm not sure why they'd need to deal that contract. The Blackhawks bigger issue is huge contracts for their aging stars, like Seabrook, who may actually help us add some veteran leadership on the back end, especially if Faulk goes.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I get it, but I think a lot of people are underestimating how painful it's going to be to move Darling.

Don't. Just bury the contract in the minors. Goalies are voodoo...he may bounce back. We need to get another goalie (or two if we move on from Ward as the backup), but cap-wise and asset-wise, we may be better off just eating his salary next year and hope he bounces back in the minors and is our deep backup. Look what happened to Vegas early this year.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Don't. Just bury the contract in the minors. Goalies are voodoo...he may bounce back. We need to get another goalie (or two if we move on from Ward as the backup), but cap-wise and asset-wise, we may be better off just eating his salary next year and hope he bounces back in the minors and is our deep backup. Look what happened to Vegas early this year.

I think this is the right plan, actually. Goalies *are* voodoo, and a kick back to the minors might be the thing that jumpstarts Darling. It worked once.

Unless we can get something for him. And then we should get something for him.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Stash Darling's ass in Charlotte. We retain the "asset" without having to take the cap hit on a retention or buyout. I don't care if getting sent down to the minors is embarrassing. It can't be much worse than getting shredded 75% of the time he touches NHL ice.

Maybe he can get his act together in Charlotte. Maybe not. At this point, he's clearly not NHL caliber. We would have to do something painful in order to get another team to trade for him. Why not at least give him the ice time he clearly needs to potentially get his game going.

Or if Dundon doesn't give a shit about retaining salary or a buyout, disregard everything I just said.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I think if they don't buy him out this offseason, he starts next season in the NHL, possibly as the starter depending on who we bring in to compete with him. Perhaps it's Cam and Darling again :cry::cry: with just the roles reversed starting the season (Cam starting out as the starter). I think only if Darling is complete shit again do we actually send him down in the middle of the season, then buy him out in 2019. I just don't see them planning on sending him to the AHL immediately to start the season.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
How is rooting for this team any different/better than stabbing yourself in the eye. Don't read this if you think the Canes may actually be aware that we can't go into next season with Darling as our goalie. All signs point not only to no buyout, not only to no burying him in Charlotte, but to another full season to "settle in."

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
How is rooting for this team any different/better than stabbing yourself in the eye. Don't read this if you think the Canes may actually be aware that we can't go into next season with Darling as our goalie. All signs point not only to no buyout, not only to no burying him in Charlotte, but to another full season to "settle in."

giphy.gif

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

I may have missed something, but are you basing it on the many Darling quotes, like he'd say much different, or the stuff Peters said, who may not even be here next year? Of course there is a possibility they'll keep him. I think we've always known that and there have been plenty of statements to that effect, even if many of us advocate differently.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Would anybody want Khudobin back?

He's actually had a bounce back year for Boston.

I remember him being way better than Darling. :)

This made me remember how we traded him for Wisniewski and he played 46 seconds. LOL

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-16_20-25-18.png
    upload_2018-3-16_20-25-18.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 3

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I think khudobin is the only backup Ward has ever had that actually challenged for the starting job. He's at least the only one I can think of that Ward wasn't obviously unquestionably better than. If not for that weird injury who knows what he might have become here

Ward had his MCL sprain in the spring of 2013. In the 2013-14 season, Dobby did outplay Ward, but the circumstances were very poor for Ward. He was coming off the knee injury, and Dobby got injured in Oct of 2013 and did not return to the ice until Jan of 14. Ward was forced to ice too soon and played like crap.

2014-15, Ward was unquestionably better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad