What's wrong with Sasha Barkov?

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Seriously, what has happened to Barky? The guy has vanished into obscurity with abysmal numbers. Pointwise only fourth best centre in the Cats etc. Awful.

And all this sad funk while Patrick Hattrick Laine has taken the league by storm. Coincidence? Too much for Barky to witness Laine's superiority as a former almost team mate in Tappara, FEL??

It pains me to say this but the surge of frigging Laine kid has only emphasized what Barky lacks in his game and mindset: the drive, hunger, intensity, swagger, confidence, flamboyance, scoring and clutch (which exists not lol). Barkov has regressed and got stuck in his shell of withdrawn shelf obviously. Or then the sweet life under the Florida sun and hot chicks have taken the best of him. Who would have though! But not the first time a choir boy finds the ***** and the rest is downfall and history. Lol.

I mean, even Granny has a better PPG ratio than Barky at the moment. And the "rocking chair Koivu" is the best comparable to Barky I can come up as of now. Crazy!

Any insights by the ones who've been watching the kid to play? What is the bottom line in all this mess? Barkov's rise and dominance were short-lived for sure. And the decline only too fast and plain. Damn!

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Trade him now. I will give you a fifth rounder to take his disappointment of a season off your hands.

In all seriousness he is a great two way player. He is still a kid, keep that in mind. He contributes in more than just offence.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I think the loss of Huberdeau is largely responsible, but the season is still too young.

Just by glancing at his past game logs, he seems to be a bit of a slow starter with significant breaks in between pockets of scoring in the early goings of the season. I see no reason to believe that he won't pick it back up as the season progresses.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He had very good puck luck all of last year and this year he is below average (I'm using OISH% at 5V5 to judge this). It also doesn't help he tends to play his best with Huberdeau, and Jagr is looking his age.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He was good in his last game as he has been on the last few.
He's still been making the defensive plays.

But there was this same thread here a week ago or so.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
He was good in his last game as he has been on the last few.
He's still been making the defensive plays.

But there was this same thread here a week ago or so.

Oh I missed it. So, it must have been another thread with a certain set of similarities... :laugh:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
It pains me to say this but the surge of frigging Laine kid has only emphasized what Barky lacks in his game and mindset: the drive, hunger, intensity, swagger, confidence, flamboyance, scoring and clutch (which exists not lol). Barkov has regressed and got stuck in his shell of withdrawn shelf obviously. Or then the sweet life under the Florida sun and hot chicks have taken the best of him. Who would have though! But not the first time a choir boy finds the ***** and the rest is downfall and history. Lol.

Well said

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Oh I missed it. So, it must have been another thread with a certain set of similarities... :laugh:

I'd say he had about 5 weak games but those seem to be gone and before those he had 5 points in 4 games.
So I doubt there's too much to worry.

Jagrs decline definitely isn't helping him.

Reading the 1st post again I can only assume this is another lets hype Laine thread :shakehead

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Hes fine still a defensive beast pretty much every game so far. Does not help that he is playing with a 44 year old and is without a very underrated playmaker in Huberdeau.

You know i still feel like this thread was made to bring up Laine even more tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad