What's wrong with OEL?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that he has been playing with an injured wrist all season. It may be just me, but it seems that his wrist shot is softer and he is more hesitant to take it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think that he has been playing with an injured wrist all season. It may be just me, but it seems that his wrist shot is softer and he is more hesitant to take it.

He didn't seem himself at the World Cup.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
He gave up on this season pretty early on. He gives zero *****. He was also hurt multiple times this year.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Management have to be very concerned he has grown sick of the losing and the uncertainties around where the team will be located in a year or two. He has to be thinking about his UFA status in 2 years and how nice it would be to be with a stable, contending team.

And the wrist injury.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Combination of playing through some sort of nagging injury, playing with subpar defensive partners(if we're being honest the whole team is pretty devoid of talent), and probably having a hard time showing up every night with the team being this crappy yet again.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I'm used to see him dominant shift after shift, but this season he's been underwhelming from the first game.

Same with the world cup. A lot of lesser players outperformed him.

I guess you lose your competitiveness when you play on bad teams year after year..

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
But you still have to be a pro and earn da bux. Yeah, we're dog sh@*, but ya gotta show up. Why didn't Ryan White mail it in? He's half the star Oliver is.

If he's hurt, shut him down until he's better.

I don't know what's up, but I have not enjoyed his work this season and thought more than once he should be a healthy scratch. Ditto Golli. Huge disappointment there.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Watching him night after night, it seems that he just has quit.
There is no fire in his belly and he looks almost bored.
He did do some good things last night.
It makes me mad that Hanzal and Verby have done so well lately to enhance their trade value.
I know its a business
I know these players have no real ties to the community.
You'd think though that these players would feel a sense of duty about giving it there all every time out.
It docent look like they do except when it is directly affecting their personal gain.
OEL looks like he is not motivated.
I hope he dosnt get the "C" when the time arrives or, I hope he gets an epiphany about how great it is to make money doing things like playing the game.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
He was very close to Boeds. They have been friends since before the NHL along with Boedker's brother and Runblad. I wonder if the Boedker trade started it.

Maybe, but Boedker bolted for UFA as soon as he got the chance.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
He might also learn from Boedker's experience that the grass isn't always greener. Boedker is having a terrible year and his future with the Sharks is not a given.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
OEL on what's wrong with OEL.

His whole game/attitude has seemed "off" in most games.

He has the most amount of PP in the entire NHL but is he even top-30 in pounts among defencemen?

Something more than a thumb has affected him this season. Started out really underwhelmingly in the World Cup and then never managed to turn it around.

Has something else happened, loss of a parent or something like that?

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
It dosnt look like he cares out there.
I am not sure about his ability to be a Captain of this team.
On the opening face off last game I was impressed as he skated around and tapped the back of the pads of each of his mates, but then theres the Kaarlson thing, where he missed the puck, Kaarlson grabbed it and skated all the way down on the breakaway and scored.
OEL didn't seem to care.
If it had been Deangelo, he would have gone after him and if need be whacked Kaarlson and brought him down.
Im not sure he has the ability to do unreasonable things that leaders should be able to do at times to leave an impression.
Slam the locker room door throw the coaches out and take charge.
I would like to see something like what Montreal did and why their GM will be voted the best in the league.
Ott, Shaw, Weber, Benn
What I like about Deangelo.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Leadership is definitely a concern going forward. Then again, guys like Domi and Fischer could step up.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
His whole game/attitude has seemed "off" in most games.

He has the most amount of PP in the entire NHL but is he even top-30 in pounts among defencemen?

Something more than a thumb has affected him this season. Started out really underwhelmingly in the World Cup and then never managed to turn it around.

Has something else happened, loss of a parent or something like that?

I think you are underestimating how difficult it is to play with a broken thumb.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
It dosnt look like he cares out there.
I am not sure about his ability to be a Captain of this team.
On the opening face off last game I was impressed as he skated around and tapped the back of the pads of each of his mates, but then theres the Kaarlson thing, where he missed the puck, Kaarlson grabbed it and skated all the way down on the breakaway and scored.
OEL didn't seem to care.
If it had been Deangelo, he would have gone after him and if need be whacked Kaarlson and brought him down.
Im not sure he has the ability to do unreasonable things that leaders should be able to do at times to leave an impression.
Slam the locker room door throw the coaches out and take charge.
I would like to see something like what Montreal did and why their GM will be voted the best in the league.
Ott, Shaw, Weber, Benn
What I like about Deangelo.

Meh. He got a pretty good slash on him. If he pulls him down from the angle he was at then that's a penalty shot. OEL made the decision to not pull Karlsson down in that situation which is right 90% of the time.

It's usually better to be able to put some pressure on a guy skating in then let him take a penalty shot. Unfortunately, it just happened to be Karlsson whose one of the game's smoothest skaters and left OEL in the dust. It was a 2-0 rush, which is not usually the case. It's near impossible to identify both those things quickly and have the presence of mind to act. Also, there's the broken thumb, which complicates trying to tackle him. Noticed that OEL has avoided most physical contact this year?

All the guys try. All the guys care. It's their livelihood. OEL would be a great captain for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad