What's Wrong With Hockey Night In Canada?

DyerMaker66*

"I don't like that people aren't watching my team play" is essentially how I read that post :laugh:

Besides, it was moot anyways considering that even before the Rogers deal, if any other Canadian team had a game on Saturday night, they would typically have access to a separate regional broadcast.

I had access to other Canadian games but that stopped under Rogers. Now I get the Leafs forced on me twice as much. Lucky me.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
I had access to other Canadian games but that stopped under Rogers. Now I get the Leafs forced on me twice as much. Lucky me.

Glad I don't have cable and just stream everything. I would hate for the Rogers Goons to show up and force me to watch something.

DyerMaker66*

Marek is one of the best in the industry.

He's not even one of the best on Sportsnet, in any sport. I guess if we ignore baseball, soccer -two sports in which he's outclassed by his Sportsnet peers alone, hockey on CBC and TSN, CFL, etc. Then sure, he's one of the best.

EDDIE20*

If anything, they did something right when they canned Glenn Healy's useless ass. The show still needs plenty of fixing though.

DyerMaker66*

Glad I don't have cable and just stream everything. I would hate for the Rogers Goons to show up and force me to watch something.
:laugh: :laugh:

You'll really start to hate it when they start blocking channels for 3 hours.

"Force me to watch something" - Priceless

Last edited by a moderator:

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Bringing back Ron to host will right alot of wrongs. I love the commercial montage they are doing to promote it right now, his voice just fits so well...

I know I am in the minority here, but I think PJ was great in the round table. Him and Kelly Hrudy had a great conversation chemistry that I always enjoyed.

Kyprios is growing on me and I can tolerate, but sure am glad that Healey is gone!

Obviously Elliotte is the headliner. He is knowledgable and great at what he does. Probably the 1B (to Bobby Mac) in the World of Hockey Journalists

Deleted member 27798

Marek is one of the best in the industry.
Drives me crazy with his obscure historical references and even more obscure name dropping. Always gives me the impression of "I'm smarter than you are. Look how much I know about hockey.".

Last edited by a moderator:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Drives me crazy with his obscure historical references and even more obscure name dropping. Always gives me the impression of "I'm smarter than you are. Look how much I know about hockey.".

I don't get that impression at all. He comes off as humble, imo. They historical references and stories are interesting, and stem from his hockey geekiness. His podcast is very enjoyable to listen to, I wish he had some kind of history of hockey podcast available.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
He's not even one of the best on Sportsnet, in any sport. I guess if we ignore baseball, soccer -two sports in which he's outclassed by his Sportsnet peers alone, hockey on CBC and TSN, CFL, etc. Then sure, he's one of the best.

It all comes to a matter of opinion. When it comes to hockey knowledge, and intelligent conversation I find him amongst the most entertaining and interesting. Everytime I listen to Marek I learn something new about the sport, there are very few hockey personalities that I can say that about. His podcast is excellent, and I think he's bring wasted as a host. He should have more input in conversations, it would make the quality of the programming much higher IMO.

EDDIE20*

I haven't kept on the news. Have they gotten rid of Dumb and Dumber (Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson)? Those two (along with Healy) are bottom of the barrel.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Personally I enjoy Strombo as a host, but I would still like to have more Ron Maclean on broadcasts as well, he was a great host. I know people say Strombo isn't a "hockey" guy but most of the hockey guys on sports shows are a bunch of former journey men who we are usually also complaining about (Healey, Stock, Milbury, etc.) so why does it matter if Strombo hasn't played professional hockey to be the host of a tv show? Duthie and some other members of the TSN panel weren't NHLers, and they do a fantastic job.

*looks at username*

Yep.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
"I don't like that people aren't watching my team play" is essentially how I read that post :laugh:

Besides, it was moot anyways considering that even before the Rogers deal, if any other Canadian team had a game on Saturday night, they would typically have access to a separate regional broadcast.

Not quite true. I am an Oilers fan. There has always typically only been one late night game. I am talking about the early game. I hardly ever watch it anymore. When the whole country was watching the Leafs, I would watch as well.

I understand that Sens/Jets fans want to be able to watch their team but from an outsider's perspective, getting to choose between 3-4 games makes them all feel less special/important. I hate the Leafs but when they were the only game in town, I found myself watching more. I bet there are plenty of others, particularly the non-hardcore fans, who feel the same. It is very similar to me with football. I wouldn't even consider myself a fan. I have never watched one of the early games on CBS/FOX. I have however watched some national games on Thursday/Sunday/Monday.

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
The intermission panels with ron mclean like weve had the last few days are a huge part of what HNIC has missed the last couple years. Strombo was unbearable imo. So glad Healys gone too.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
It's great to have Ron MacLean back. I don't agree with everything he says but he's an actual hockey guy that adds insight to the conversation.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I miss the 2nd intermission hotstove discussions; sometimes they went a bit fast and covered topics with an attitude that the viewer should know what they were talking about, but in general there was a lot of good content there. Also, I think it would be interesting if Bob Mcgowan and Bob McKenzie could be added to the panel, but I realize that's can't happen.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
The intermission panels with ron mclean like weve had the last few days are a huge part of what HNIC has missed the last couple years. Strombo was unbearable imo. So glad Healys gone too.

Entirely agree. I'll never understand why MacLean got banished to backwater exile. Keep him in the studio and at the arenas. If they want to pretend anyone still cares about Hometown Hockey, let a newbie cut his teeth on the road.

DyerMaker66*

Not quite true. I am an Oilers fan. There has always typically only been one late night game. I am talking about the early game. I hardly ever watch it anymore. When the whole country was watching the Leafs, I would watch as well.

I understand that Sens/Jets fans want to be able to watch their team but from an outsider's perspective, getting to choose between 3-4 games makes them all feel less special/important. I hate the Leafs but when they were the only game in town, I found myself watching more. I bet there are plenty of others, particularly the non-hardcore fans, who feel the same. It is very similar to me with football. I wouldn't even consider myself a fan. I have never watched one of the early games on CBS/FOX. I have however watched some national games on Thursday/Sunday/Monday.

It's not just "Sens/ Jets fans", it's the entire rest of the country that doesn't need another full-blown Leafs broadcast.

Of course more people will watch the 1 football game in prime time on a specific night. It's a once a week event, like HNiC was until Rogers made Saturdays just like Sundays and every other night of the week. I don't blame that on the increase in choices available, I blame it on Rogers crappy broadcasting. If it was worth their time people would watch.

DyerMaker66*

Entirely agree. I'll never understand why MacLean got banished to backwater exile. Keep him in the studio and at the arenas. If they want to pretend anyone still cares about Hometown Hockey, let a newbie cut his teeth on the road.

Because Gary's feelings get hurt when reporters do their jobs.

DyerMaker66*

I miss the 2nd intermission hotstove discussions; sometimes they went a bit fast and covered topics with an attitude that the viewer should know what they were talking about, but in general there was a lot of good content there. Also, I think it would be interesting if Bob Mcgowan and Bob McKenzie could be added to the panel, but I realize that's can't happen.

Why couldn't McCown join the broadcast ( in theory)?

DyerMaker66*

I haven't kept on the news. Have they gotten rid of Dumb and Dumber (Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson)? Those two (along with Healy) are bottom of the barrel.

They're not getting rid of Hughson and if they do it shouldn't be before they rid themselves of Cole and Neale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad