What's wrong with Drai?

sbhnur

Dec 26, 2020
I'm not able to watch full games this season unfortunately, so I'm asking here. What's wrong with Drai - is something wrong with Drai this season?
His production is very low compared to past seasons and he seems to have trouble to score. I recognized he's playing with very poor wingers lately (Foegele and McLeod). What other factors are involved.

Thanks for your help, guys!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm not able to watch full games this season unfortunately, so I'm asking here. What's wrong with Drai - is something wrong with Drai this season?
His production is very low compared to past seasons and he seems to have trouble to score. I recognized he's playing with very poor wingers lately (Foegele and McLeod). What other factors are involved.

Thanks for your help, guys!
He is the third best forward on his line. Foegele and McLeod are far from poor lately.
Draisaitl's shot is off a bit but he is doing fine otherwise.

McDavid was struggling more than Drai last night.

sbhnur

Dec 26, 2020
Nothing. He plays with 4th liners and is still over a PPG.
Yeah, this is what I suppose just from watching the stat sheets. Doesn't seem to be that productive in the pp as well though.

He is the third best forward on his line. Foegele and McLeod are far from poor lately.
Draisaitl's shot is off a bit but he is doing fine otherwise.

McDavid was struggling more than Drai last night.
Foegele and McLeod shouldn't be anywhere near the top 6 tbh. They both lack skill big time to play in that role.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, this is what I suppose just from watching the stat sheets. Doesn't seem to be that productive in the pp as well though.
What on Earth? he leads the Oilers in PP goals and is one off the league lead in PP goals which is still impressive as the Oilers don't get near as many PP's as they should be seeing.

Additionally any comparison to other players in scoring race needs to consider that the Oilers have played about 5 less games, and that Drai is historically a slower starter.

Drai is tied for 18th in P/GP league wide with Barkov and Marner. nobody asking whats wrong with those players. If Drai had been credited the couple assists he's sitting in topten in P/GP. Fluctuation in scoring race is normal with such limited amount of season played. He's not far off where he should be.

Drai is also getting a lot of ownzone starts due to his D ability and faceoff ability. Whether its EV or pk he's seeing a lot of these own zone starts and this factors as well. harder to get pts or Ozone play when you're starting in your end most of the shifts.

Drai was playing large stints with the most useless sod on the team, Connor Brown and is now with Foegele again, this time with McLeod. Drai has also been shorted a couple assists he should have been credited with. No big deal but I don't think normal decline that starts at around age 27-28 is enough to elicit another thread on whats wrong with drai. Around 30 teams in the league would want this version of Draisaitl.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Foegele and McLeod shouldn't be anywhere near the top 6 tbh. They both lack skill big time to play in that role.
The two have 10pts combined this road trip (4GP) with minimal PP time

Hard work and tenacity is sometimes better than skill.

One can argue Kane/Brown line is 2b line .

Reactions: SK13

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Draisaitl is a streaky even-strength player in any regular season and often struggles in the winter months as the Oilers do. The good news is we're approaching the New Year and Draisaitl always plays his best hockey in the back half.

@LTIR had the other points I was going to make covered.

sbhnur

Dec 26, 2020
What on Earth? he leads the Oilers in PP goals and is one off the league lead in PP goals which is still impressive as the Oilers don't get near as many PP's as they should be seeing.

Additionally any comparison to other players in scoring race needs to consider that the Oilers have played about 5 less games, and that Drai is historically a slower starter.

Drai is tied for 18th in P/Pg league wide with Barkov and Marner. nobody asking whats wrong with those players. If Drai had been credited the couple assists he's sitting in topten in P/PG. Fluctuation in scoring race is normal with such limited amount of season played. He's not far off where he should be.

Drai is also getting a lot of ownzone starts due to his D ability and faceoff ability. Whether its EV or pk he's seeing a lot of these own zone starts and this factors as well. harder to get pts or Ozone play when you're starting in your end most of the shifts.

Drai was playing large stints with the most useless sod on the team, Connor Brown and is now with Foegele again, this time with McLeod. Drai has also been shorted a couple assists he should have been credited with. No big deal but I don't think normal decline that starts at around age 27-28 is enough to elicit another thread on whats wrong with drai. Around 30 teams in the league would want this version of Draisaitl.
Don't get me wrong here. This is not meant as criticism concerning Drai. I was able to watch plenty Oilers games the last couple years but none so far this year, so I'm just curious why his production is less than usual. And I'm rating him really much higher than Marner and Barkov which means on the other hand he is kinda underachieving or at least it seems like. But on the other hand play Marner or Barkov with guys like Foegele/Brown/McLeod would have its negative effects as well. They surely are not used to have this kind of subpar linemates.

Didn't know the Oilers get less PP's btw.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't get me wrong here. This is not meant as criticism concerning Drai. I was able to watch plenty Oilers games the last couple years but none so far this year, so I'm just curious why his production is less than usual. And I'm rating him really much higher than Marner and Barkov which means on the other hand he is kinda underachieving or at least it seems like. But on the other hand play Marner or Barkov with guys like Foegele/Brown/McLeod would have its negative effects as well. They surely are not used to have this kind of subpar linemates.

Didn't know the Oilers get less PP's btw.
Drai might also be showing some wear and tear due to how much he's played through various injuries in his career, how he's had to drag along subpar players so often. For years he had Yamamoto on his line. The Moment the Oilers get rid of Yamamoto they get Connor Brown who of course ends up being Drais problem. lol

Oilers are 30th place in NHL in PPtoi. Try to make sense of that considering how their superstars get dragged down, interfered with, hooked etc. The NHL basically decides with officiating which clubs it wants to favor.

For instance the Sharks, devoid of talent somehow draw more penalties. The Detroit Red Wings somehow lead the league in PP time.

Reactions: Keggatron

sbhnur

Dec 26, 2020
Some crazy stats, thanks!

It's the fate of McDrai in general to carry that whole franchise for years. Not a recipe for success for sure, not individually and not in terms of team success.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Draisaitl is a streaky even-strength player in any regular season and often struggles in the winter months as the Oilers do. The good news is we're approaching the New Year and Draisaitl always plays his best hockey in the back half.

@LTIR had the other points I was going to make covered.
Some players just wake up during the second half when the hockey really matters. Much like Draisaitl.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Some players just wake up during the second half when the hockey really matters. Much like Draisaitl.

I often wonder if he's one of the many, many people who have depressive personality issues at this time of the year. Half a world away from home, in a place that is dark 16 hours a day. His body language is always at it's worst at this time of the year. He's taking more penalties. He doesn't seem to have lots of energy.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Drai starts playing lazy and trying to backhand sauce through 5 players.

Foegele and McLeod arent holding him back.....

Reactions: InTheBox

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I thought he was better than his stat line yesterday. And he had a goal.

the guys vision is still elite and he was making some absolutely crazy passes yesterday.

It’ll come. But him being over PPG despite not looking the best, should be reassuring.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There's really no point in debating Draisaitl's merits as a player in December, c'mon we know how this goes already. It always has a lull around this time of the season.

Reactions: Duke74

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I thought last night was one of his best games of the season. He was working hard, keeping it simple, mostly eliminating his typical low percentage stuff. Did a good job working off his line mates. Was back checking hard, taking sticks and bodies in his own end and helping turn pucks over.

If this is bad Leon then I’m ok with it and I think the decision to play him with lesser offensive players is smart. It challenges him to work with less, be smarter and find ways to contribute beyond just on the scoresheet.

I’ve said it forever and will continue to say it, Leon can be far more effective and have more of an impact on team success by using his elite skills to elevate those around him and making contributions beyond just points. That player helps a team win more then being attached to Mcdavids hip, playing high risk globetrotter hockey trying to score as much as possible at any cost.

Reactions: Duke74 and subnet

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I thought he was better than his stat line yesterday. And he had a goal.

the guys vision is still elite and he was making some absolutely crazy passes yesterday.

It’ll come. But him being over PPG despite not looking the best, should be reassuring.
Not to mention the goal was brilliant. That doesn't happen by accident. With Drai its obvserving a scenario, a potential weakness, cycling puck and timing a perfect give and go to coincide with his power move to the crease, Then quickly finishing before any Shark on the ice knew what happened. With Drai he actually has to cloak himself, to kind of hide, like goal scorers do. This is the only way he can hit open spots around net without D converging on him. The goal is perfectly executed by whole line.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I often wonder if he's one of the many, many people who have depressive personality issues at this time of the year. Half a world away from home, in a place that is dark 16 hours a day. His body language is always at it's worst at this time of the year. He's taking more penalties. He doesn't seem to have lots of energy.
I wouldn't count that out. Edmonton can be pretty bleak in the Winter.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Drai starts playing lazy and trying to backhand sauce through 5 players.

Foegele and McLeod arent holding him back.....
Posts like this should be doomed to watching what Foegele and McLeod could manage with a mediocre Center.

Man, appreciate great players while they are here. There will be long spells where the greats will not be here, and hangers on like McLeod and Foegele will be.

Careful what you wish for in such shady posts.

I wouldn't count that out. Edmonton can be pretty bleak in the Winter.
This is sunshine. This is light, this is divinity, this would make most smile.

This is Celeste Desjardins who Leon gets to spend quality time with..

1703900334364.png

That and 8.5M/ can buy some smiles.

I think probably that Drai is ok. I mean theres a chance he is...;)

Last edited:

sbhnur

Dec 26, 2020
Drai might also be showing some wear and tear due to how much he's played through various injuries in his career, how he's had to drag along subpar players so often. For years he had Yamamoto on his line. The Moment the Oilers get rid of Yamamoto they get Connor Brown who of course ends up being Drais problem. lol

Oilers are 30th place in NHL in PPtoi. Try to make sense of that considering how their superstars get dragged down, interfered with, hooked etc. The NHL basically decides with officiating which clubs it wants to favor.

For instance the Sharks, devoid of talent somehow draw more penalties. The Detroit Red Wings somehow lead the league in PP time.
But don't forget not taking penalties is obviously every teams game plan against the Oilers. This also shows in this stats.
And no team in the NHL needs to take any penalty to defend the Oilers bottom 6 which is the main issue concerning this topic.

But yeah, there are a lot of no calls against McDrai.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad