What's up with Hischier?

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
He’s driving play to a ridiculous degree and is not getting luck. He’s a perfect 2C
Only if he improves his defensive game, I think he's on track for that. If he can be a player the coach can trust against the other team's best players then he'll be well worth the 1st overall pick, regardless of his "offense". Especially with Hughes on the team anyway. He is nowhere near that yet, but still young.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I was told he was better than mat barzal. Is that no longer the case?

No you weren't ever told that.

Nico is playing well overall to start the year and is getting no puck luck. He is driving play and playing better defensively than he has in the past. If he continues this, the points will likely start to come. Hes sitting at 59% CF%, 63% xGF%, and 71% HDCF%

the Devils have been hampered with the injury bug so far this year, namely Jack Hughes who only played a little more than 1 game. Nico and 19 year old Dawson Mercer are currently the only competent centers on the team without Hughes.

Nico will never be a Matthews or MacKinnon but he will still be a very solid 2C in this league

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
He looks like a solid top 9 center but doesn't seem to have elite offensive skills. He also has been dealing with injuries for two seasons and it's apparent in his play. The injuries are what i'm worried about more so than his long term ceiling, which most Devils fans have lowered expectations regarding.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
of 268 forwards with at least 100 minutes played at 5 on 5, Nico Hischier's ranks in the entire NHL:

CF%- 9th
shots for %- 4th
xGF%- 11th
high danger CF%- 3rd

Does CF% finally includes the dangerosity of the chance? I remember Danault having a monster CF% and analyst were raving about him.

But if you watched the game, it's just that MTL was shooting from anywhere even if the chances were horrible.

So, is Hischier actually setting up nice chances and participating in numerous dangerous plays, or is he just shooting anything from anywhere that has no real incidence on the game?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Does CF% finally includes the dangerosity of the chance? I remember Danault having a monster CF% and analyst were raving about him.

But if you watched the game, it's just that MTL was shooting from anywhere even if the chances were horrible.

So, is Hischier actually setting up nice chances and participating in numerous dangerous plays, or is he just shooting anything from anywhere that has no real incidence on the game?

did you miss the line about high danger CF%? or?

Nico is 15th among forwards in total high danger CF with 35.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz and abo9

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Guy was a first overall pick and had a decent rookie season. Now it seems like he's dropped off the face of the earth and isn't talked about. Is he just what he is at this point?
Isn’t he playing a heavy defensively responsible game now though?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
did you miss the line about high danger CF%? or?

Nico is 15th among forwards in total high danger CF with 35.

I actually did. Thanks. Looking forward to seeing him explode :D

I love nothing more than to see prospects develop into quality NHLers.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
15 points in his last 30 games over last 2 seasons not a good look for a first overall pick this far into his career.
30 games over 2 years, I think you can figure yourself...
In that timespan, he's never played a full month of hockey without a break because of injuries. Would he really be a better player if he had 10 more points in those odd games?
Let's give him a full season after what he's been through. His overall play and the many scoring chances say he'll start to produce sooner than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad