What's this strange feeling I have? Is it... nausea?!? The Pessimism Thread 2013

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don't blame the roster, I blame Feaster. He knew we lacked centre depth and he knew faceoffs were an issue. He did nothing about it.

He brought in a coach who needed the puck to have a successful system, but didn't bring him the centremen to win the puck.
We got pushed around pretty good tonight, with no push back. Some grit in the lineup would be nice.

The ****** PK also a major issue.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Who was he suppose to get, guys like that don't fall out of the sky?

He should have drafted them, he was one spot away from Grigorenko, but instead of trading up 1 to get him he traded down 13 to take a project, side note he thought he was bringing in a 1-2 center in Cervenka.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Being dominated =/= lack of effort. I saw lots of guys trying tonight, possibly trying too hard. The team is just not as good as most teams in the league so they will look outmatched, its what happens.

You seriously think 90% of the team gave over 90%? Most looked bored and didn't care, no one stood up for our goalie got run they just sat there and watched it. No one outside of a couple forwards for checked worth a dam. Most players over passed and didn't back check. If you think that was a good effort then you haven't seen many good games.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Who was he suppose to get, guys like that don't fall out of the sky?

Roy was up for grabs last year. Riberio too. We saw Staal and Carter get moved. We let Jokinen walk after his best season as a Flame. Arnott is good in the circle.

I'm sure there's more examples.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You seriously think 90% of the team gave over 90%? Most looked bored and didn't care, no one stood up for our goalie got run they just sat there and watched it. No one outside of a couple forwards for checked worth a dam. Most players over passed and didn't back check. If you think that was a good effort then you haven't seen many good games.
I think you don't have much of a clue about professional athletes if you think they go into a game and don't try.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Roy was up for grabs last year. Riberio too. We saw Staal and Carter get moved. We let Jokinen walk after his best season as a Flame. Arnott is good in the circle.

We don't have an Ott so no way we get Roy, Dallas wanted a defensive centerman no way they would want someone from us, Stall only wanted to go to Carolina so a trade would be pointless not to mention we didn't have the assets.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Maybe if enough fans voiced their displeasure with what's going on, ownership might clue in that what they're peddling isn't good enough. I'm not optimistic in that regard though.

As for Iginla, he's as good as gone. There's a reason why he hasn't signed an extension by this point and why Feaster and him had a pressure conference at the beginning of season saying they don't want to discuss this until the end of the season. I don't believe the team has the stones to ask him to waive his no trade clause so expect him to walk on July 1st. The reality, neither Iginla nor the ownership group want to be seen as the 'bad guy' in this soap opera - rather than risk angering a fan base by making the first move, both sides are just going to wait it out and let the pieces fall where they will.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

All three of those players were traded for significant young assets though (except Roy of course). Do you honestly believe Calgary is in a position to be trading Sven/Gaudreau/1st+ for these players?

Jokinen is proving exactly why we let him walk. He is not a very good hockey player anymore.
Arnott is extremely old and has previously failed a physical earlier this season.

We are in a lose-lose situation no matter what due to the incompetence of Darryl Sutter as a general manager.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't blame the roster, I blame Feaster. He knew we lacked centre depth and he knew faceoffs were an issue. He did nothing about it.

He brought in a coach who needed the puck to have a successful system, but didn't bring him the centremen to win the puck.

Not that I disagree with you general point but I have to give him credit for bringing in Cervenka, I think he was probably misled about what kind of player he was getting.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
We don't have an Ott so no way we get Roy, Dallas wanted a defensive centerman no way they would want someone from us, Stall only wanted to go to Carolina so a trade would be pointless not to mention we didn't have the assets.

I bet they would've taken Glencross for Roy instead of Ott.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
He should have drafted them, he was one spot away from Grigorenko, but instead of trading up 1 to get him he traded down 13 to take a project, side note he thought he was bringing in a 1-2 center in Cervenka.

Grigorenko would not be playing if we drafted him.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
All three of those players were traded for significant young assets though (except Roy of course). Do you honestly believe Calgary is in a position to be trading Sven/Gaudreau/1st+ for these players?

Jokinen is proving exactly why we let him walk. He is not a very good hockey player anymore.
Arnott is extremely old and has previously failed a physical earlier this season.

We are in a lose-lose situation no matter what due to the incompetence of Darryl Sutter as a general manager.

This 100%, its not Feasters fault this team still sucks, he was handed over a pile of garbage.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I bet they would've taken Glencross for Roy instead of Ott.

Does that really make us a better team though? A small center that struggles in the faceoff circle (47% this season) is not really what this team is looking for.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

I agree Sutter holds a lot of blame too. Especially in the draft department and filling the gaps within.

But Sutter isn't here, Feaster is. You don't try the same things over and expect different results. And we don't need a top centremen, we need someone to win the puck to have a fighting chance in an offensive system.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

At some point the management has to realize that you can't fit a square peg in a round hole. If the team doesn't have the horses to compete and can't find a way to get those horses, then the reality is competing isn't a viable option.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Does that really make us a better team though? A small center that struggles in the faceoff circle (47% this season) is not really what this team is looking for.

Our entire team is a group of small, soft forwards. What's one more?

At least 47% at 20+ mins of ice time means that you have nearly a 50% chance of obtaining the puck 1/3rds of the game. Especially considering that your top producers need that puck.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I agree Sutter holds a lot of blame too. Especially in the draft department and filling the gaps within.

But Sutter isn't here, Feaster is. You don't try the same this over and expect different results. And we don't need a top centremen, we need someone to win the puck to have a fighting chance in an offensive system.

I agree, but that player is not Derek Roy.

I am not saying Feaster is a great GM, or even a good one but he was pushed into an awful situation in a city that wants nothing more but to win. If he decides to rebuild/trade the core then he risks upsetting the ownership group and losing fans, and if he tries to remain competitive while icing an under performing and ageing core then he will continue to get shredded by the critics and test the patience of even the loyalist fans out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad