What's the potential of Hansen

Steve Bennett*

Hi all, after watching another good game from Jannik Hansen it leaves me wondering what the guy's potential is. The 2011-2012 season was his best season by quite a margin and was almost at a point/2games (39 in 82). It seems he has been steadily increasing his production and quality of play every year. This year he looks even better through only 10 games. The Dane hits, has lightning speed, and a rocket of a shot, good defensive skills and has some offensive awareness. His major setback as is noted by John Garrett often is his hands - he doesn't have the finishing ability.

So what do you think - could he be a top 6 forward or is his career role best played on the third line like he is doing now. He's only 26 keep in mind. I don't know if working on his finishing is something he can do in the offseason, but if he had the hands of Kassian, look out.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I see him as being a very good 3rd liner.
He doesn't have the offensive skills to be a 2nd liner.

Pseudonymous*

he definitely hasn't reached his peak. and whether you claim he can be a 2nd or 3rd liner depends on the team really. even right now, he could be a 2nd liner on quite a few times. 16 goals playing third line minutes will get you on a 2nd line on certain teams. remember, we're the back to back presidents trophy winners, we're deeper than most teams

the guy will put up 20 goals within the next season or two, without a doubt

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Career third liner, but a hell of a third liner at that. I'm more then comfortable with him filling in the top six here and there too. I'm comfortable with Hansen all around, really.

Honey badger don't care.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
If his game progresses anymore, I'd say he's a top six forward on most teams. Given power play opportunity, I think he'd be productive enough to call himself one. I prefer we use him as a top 9 tweener, though.

Regardless, pretty great 7th round pick, huh?

StringerBell

2nd/3rd line tweener. I don't see him ever becoming a top 6 scorer, which leaves very good 3rd liner.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I think he could be a 50 point player with pp time. I think he can produce 2nd line type numbers at even strength but the team is better off with him producing 40points on our third line and giving us an advantage there.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
Hi all, after watching another good game from Jannik Hansen it leaves me wondering what the guy's potential is. The 2011-2012 season was his best season by quite a margin and was almost at a point/2games (39 in 82). It seems he has been steadily increasing his production and quality of play every year. This year he looks even better through only 10 games. The Dane hits, has lightning speed, and a rocket of a shot, good defensive skills and has some offensive awareness. His major setback as is noted by John Garrett often is his hands - he doesn't have the finishing ability.

So what do you think - could he be a top 6 forward or is his career role best played on the third line like he is doing now. He's only 26 keep in mind. I don't know if working on his finishing is something he can do in the offseason, but if he had the hands of Kassian, look out.

Stop making polls, or at least make polls that only have one possible response.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Easily yes.

But I think he might end up being able to play a complementary role in the top-6 occasionally, but will never be a solid top-6 player.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Amazing 3rd liner. Just doesn't have the handles to promote him to the 2nd line. I mean, on this team he could make the 2nd line, but I hope we can bring back a more offensively skilled player in a trade to fill out the top 6. It's one of the reason why we end up making so many goalies look like future hall of famers in the playoffs. Just not enough raw offensive talent (snipers, danglers). The sedins are incredible playmakers, but sometimes you need to be able to create chances by yourself and just completely make a player look silly with dangling, but no one on this team can do it. It's painful when your two art ross trophy winners are horrendous in a shootout. There are no shootouts in the playoffs but it still shows that there are certain offensive abilities that they lack. There's a reason why the lightning were able to put a bunch of goals by thomas repeatedly but the canucks couldn't. A lot of our players exceed expectations and I would not expect them to play this well on other teams.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I think we're seeing Hansen at pretty close to his best. He's an elite third liner at a mil and a half, which is a piece this team needs as badly as a top six upgrade.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
His hands have improved a lot. I'd still say good-to-great third-liner though.

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver
If we're really talking "potential," then Jannik Hansen certainly the tools to become a legitimate top-six forward. The knock against him has always been his hands and his ability to finish the chances he generates. However, almost to a man, the Canucks' players count Hansen as one of the teams most impressive "practice" players. Apparently, he regularly leaves his teammates shaking their heads with the skill plays and scoring touch he displays during practice (Luongo once talked about Hansen beating him more than anyone else on the team). He just can't seem to bring the same finishing ability to game situations. Maybe that will always be the case or maybe the previous sentence should have ended with "yet." We'll find out eventually. But, talking strictly "potential," Hansen is nothing short of top-six. That said, like many others, I view his most likely career path to be one of an excellent third liner who can be depended on for occasional replacement duties (injury relief, etc) in the top-six.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I still remember that stretch in the 10-11 season where kesler with tambellini and hansen were killing it. They were so fun to watch.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
He's a really, really good 3rd liner with flashes of top-six upside.

Isn't a really good 3rd liner someone who has flashes of top-six upside? At least that's my definition. Hansen is basically topped out IMO but is someone who is a key cog in the support staff of a contending team. I wish we had 4 Hansens in our bottom 6.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
haven't we been asking this question since he got hit by Rob Niedermayer almost 6 years ago now

because he was looking down at the puck and not having that sixth sense needed

Jannik Hansen might have that one breakout season, then he'll fall back into his comfortable shell. he relies all too much on his feet rather than the anticipation of the play

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
haven't we been asking this question since he got hit by Rob Niedermayer almost 6 years ago now

because he was looking down at the puck and not having that sixth sense needed

Jannik Hansen might have that one breakout season, then he'll fall back into his comfortable shell. he relies all too much on his feet rather than the anticipation of the play

Should have been an elbowing call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad