What's the most prestigious individual award

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The problem with the voting awards are that the people judging probably don't watch nearly enough games. The Smythe is more condensed so that's probably more accurate (or should be).

What about a system where the refs give a "3,2,1" (best player 3 votes, 2nd best 2 votes, 3rd best 1 vote). That way all the games are accounted for and the refs should be watching the game closely and from a good vantage point.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Lindsay > Hart

Hart votes come from members of the media, some of them extremely biased.

Lindsay votes come from the players themselves, and they're in a much better position to judge.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
Nobody on this site or the planet Earth cares that McDavid won the Lindsay, but people are rightfully up in arms about Hall winning the Hart.

Try to deny it all you want, but it's true.

Hart > Lindsay

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Lindsay > Hart

Hart votes come from members of the media, some of them extremely biased.

Lindsay votes come from the players themselves, and they're in a much better position to judge.

Well, considering Bobby Orr won three Hart and one Lindsay (Pearson), I'd say the latter has probably seen more bias over time. Toward forwards that is.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Harts are held in the highest regard and therefore have the most prestige. Whether it is worthy of that type of attachment is debatable.

Reactions: Sam Spade

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The Hart and Lindsay measure two separate things so you can't say one's more accurate than the other. The Hart is awarded to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team. The Lindsay is awarded to the most outstanding player as voted on by his peers.

It is entirely possible for Taylor Hall to be the most valuable player to his team, and McDavid to be the most outstanding player.

Now, if I was a player, I think I'd feel much more accomplished winning the Smythe, then Lindsay, then Hart. Smythe 99% means my team won the cup, Lindsay means regardless of what happened I was the best in the league, Hart means that I committed more to my teams success than any other player in the regular season, however, that could mean dragging a team who doesn't belong in the playoffs to a first round exit.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Hart.

You rarely see anyone mention the Lindsay while talking about players and their legacies. Whether that's right or wrong is a different story.

Reactions: Sam Spade

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Art Ross/Rocket.

Lots of idiots around that get to vote for other awards, as evidenced by a lot of joke wins.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Lindsay is "better" than Hart. Unless you value the opinions of pundits over the players in judging their own peers
The problem there is players in the other conference rarely see 15 teams. And I doubt NHLers watch much hockey on TV. There will almost certainly be a bias to your own conference because of this.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think access to information has the Lindsey overtaking the Hart.

If you go back 20/30 years as a player, I doubt you had the time to follow the entire league, outside of seeing the box score in the newspaper or maybe reading something like the Hockey News on a flight. Thus, you really only knew your team or your division rivals. However it was the media's job (at least in part) to follow the league somewhat. Plus they (the media) didn't really need to be sensationalist, as they were the only source of news.

Fast forward to today, and the players can spend their travel time watching endless highlights, but in the media there's become a fight to get noticed, thus the need to add a narrative and/or hot take to everything.

The players now are basically as informed as the media, but they can just vote and not worry bout having to find a story to build.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Hart is the more media driven award and popularized. Fans are not really voting for it unfortunately, it is the PHWA that make up there own rules in judging the award. They can literally change on how they pick it every year.

Ted Lindsay is the League players voting for the best of the best in the NHL. I think any player would want to strive for this award over the Hart. Respect from your peers seems to have more validation of your ability over the judgement of hockey writers.

Lindsay
Conn Smythe
Hart

Regarding the bolder part, how is the Smythe any different?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad