What's the history of intermissions?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
A question no one asks. It's the bits of the 'game' that spaces apart the actual playing parts. Y'know, what people are actually there to see.

Does anyone here know the story behind intermissions? Where they got 15 minutes from, and why it's usually now more like 18? (code for 20 min)

In my opinion, if god had intended for intermissions to be 18 minutes he would have made them that.

How long does it take to resurface the ice, especially with two Zambonis? Just a few minutes. So why stretch it out? Concession sales, and to let players rest I guess, but I think a lot of tv viewers have given up because 15-18 minutes is quite a while to go without any action. I could also make an argument for benefit of the product over the long term for not giving players as much time to rest.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Originally it was likely for players health. Teams only had like 2 sub players, so most players played 50+ minutes. resurfacing the ice then became a factor, early methods were not as quick. Nowadays, likely a combination of making sure everyone can get to the washroom, concession sales and TV interests.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Anyone who doesn't watch hockey on TV because the intermissions are too long isn't a hockey fan.

And someone who thinks the intermission aren't welcome by players have likely never played too much either. Those 15-18 minutes are a true godsend to some players, especially top line guys who also play PP and PK. Only change for the 4th line guys is that they get to sit in the heated room vs the cold bench. :p

Besides, ice resurfacing takes 5-6 minutes (if not more) and you need to let the ice freeze a bit after the zambonis have done their job, otherwise the puck will just stick everywhere.

member 51464

Anyone who doesn't watch hockey on TV because the intermissions are too long isn't a hockey fan.

And someone who thinks the intermission aren't welcome by players have likely never played too much either. Those 15-18 minutes are a true godsend to some players, especially top line guys who also play PP and PK. Only change for the 4th line guys is that they get to sit in the heated room vs the cold bench. :p

Besides, ice resurfacing takes 5-6 minutes (if not more) and you need to let the ice freeze a bit after the zambonis have done their job, otherwise the puck will just stick everywhere.

Isn't that an issue then?

I have friends over fairly frequently to watch games to try to do my little part to "grow the game", and without fail, they always mention how long the intermissions are.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Other Sports

I have friends over fairly frequently to watch games to try to do my little part to "grow the game", and without fail, they always mention how long the intermissions are.

Halftime at NFL,CFL,NCAA football plus in basketball NBA, NCAA halftime is just as long if not longer for sports that are played in spurts, without continuous action like hockey nor do the fields or floors require any significant cleaning or re-surfacing.. Baseball does not have an intermission but the actual action is a very small part of the real time taken.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
The standard intermission now is 17:00. The clock starts when the last official leaves the ice. However - CBC (and other national networks) get an extra minute and often ask for more. Yes, they have that ability - or should I say - when Ron Mclean can't take a count - they beg for more time.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

That's why the Good Lord invented Tivo.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Way back in the days before player substitutions, they would take a short rest after each goal (after each game, in the parlance of the time), maybe 3-4 minutes. They would also have a 10-minute rest at half time. Obviously this was entirely for the players, if you play every minute of the game you need a rest now and then.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

And yet they send out 10 minutes of "entertainment" before finally using 2 zambonis to quickly do the ice, let it freeze for 3 minutes, send out the players to start chewing up the not fully hardened ice, and start the period with a few wet spots for the puck to stick to.

Go figure.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Some reasons I learned while playing hockey(had a coach who was a studant of the game)

When the games were played in doors there was a lot of steam off the ice--ask any bruins fan about the old BB gardens and they needed to clear the the air

lack of replacements

to see stuff in the stands---it has always been part of the game.

Back in the 20's--players who were not playing had to sign autographs in between periods and to get the autograph you had to buy a pop or something from the stands

member 51464

Halftime at NFL,CFL,NCAA football plus in basketball NBA, NCAA halftime is just as long if not longer for sports that are played in spurts, without continuous action like hockey nor do the fields or floors require any significant cleaning or re-surfacing.. Baseball does not have an intermission but the actual action is a very small part of the real time taken.
Preaching to the choir. Also, I think if it was just one break, it wouldn't be an issue, but two breaks totaling 34 minutes does seem like a lot.
That's why the Good Lord invented Tivo.
Not as fun as watching it live with people so they can get excited.
Not to mention, the lost art of conversation.
I enjoy it, others don't.

thegreatfatman

Nov 23, 2009
Preaching to the choir. Also, I think if it was just one break, it wouldn't be an issue, but two breaks totaling 34 minutes does seem like a lot.

Not as fun as watching it live with people so they can get excited.

Well, what you could do then is start watching the game about 45 minutes in on tivo, say by starting at 815 for a 730 start. Then, you could skip the first intermission and most of the early commercial breaks, and still be caught up so that you have a little break during the 2nd intermission (or maybe even be able to zoom through it), and watch the whole 3rd period live, which is typically what matters most anyways.

Though I only suggest this for the non-critical regular season games.

member 51464

Well, what you could do then is start watching the game about 45 minutes in on tivo, say by starting at 815 for a 730 start. Then, you could skip the first intermission and most of the early commercial breaks, and still be caught up so that you have a little break during the 2nd intermission (or maybe even be able to zoom through it), and watch the whole 3rd period live, which is typically what matters most anyways.

Though I only suggest this for the non-critical regular season games.

Not a terrible idea. But I'm trying to grow them as purist's :laugh:

And more importantly, Penguins fans! :sarcasm:

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
That's exactly it. Want to make someone a hockey fan. Get them to watch the playoffs.

Yes or take them to a game. The speed of the game blows first timers away. Unless you have been there, its hard to really know how fast they are going while watching on tv.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad