Whats the deal with this team going into 2014 season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
They had chances to win cups the last couple seasons and blew it. Now they are above the cap and are likely going have to deal some players. Are they still going to be a top contender or what? Does the core, excluding Bergeron, even care anymore about winning another cup heading into the season?

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
what's the deal....

Season-3-Episode-8-The-Tape.jpg

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
They had chances to win cups the last couple seasons and blew it. Now they are above the cap and are likely going have to deal some players. Are they still going to be a top contender or what? Does the core, excluding Bergeron, even care anymore about winning another cup heading into the season?

No, they're all hanging out on the beach and drinking mai tais.

77bestever*

The whole organization top to bottom care....A lot. Problem is the GM has just not been able to get that perfect mix of players at the right places in time.

Chiarelli knows what he has to do.....I am sure of it.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I don't know how you would assume Bergeron is the only one who cares about winning.

Yes, they will be less heading into this year, they sort of gambled last year by cheating the cap with the Iginla bonus overage but now have to pay the piper this year so we're a bit Clarkson'd.

Some insinuate that Chiarelli is stupid for having done this, I don't think so. Chiarelli is fully aware of how the salary cap works, it was a gamble, they had a great team last year but didn't get it done in the playoffs. My chief criticism in hindsight was Chiarelli was not being more aggressive at the trade deadline since he was going for it anyway.

This year they won't be as good on paper and are going to have to ice some younger players. They are still good and in a weak conference. No doubt they will be lower in the standings but they may peak at the right time and put it together in the playoffs, who knows.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I don't know how you would assume Bergeron is the only one who cares about winning.

Yes, they will be less heading into this year, they sort of gambled last year by cheating the cap with the Iginla bonus overage but now have to pay the piper this year so we're a bit Clarkson'd.

Some insinuate that Chiarelli is stupid for having done this, I don't think so. Chiarelli is fully aware of how the salary cap works, it was a gamble, they had a great team last year but didn't get it done in the playoffs. My chief criticism in hindsight was Chiarelli was not being more aggressive at the trade deadline since he was going for it anyway.

This year they won't be as good on paper and are going to have to ice some younger players. They are still good and in a weak conference. No doubt they will be lower in the standings but they may peak at the right time and put it together in the playoffs, who knows.

This, essentially. Seidenberg was the key loss, which, unfortunately, was not addressed adequately at the deadline. Combine that with too much youth on D (and, paradoxically, an "aging" Merlot line haha), plus an inexplicable power outage upfront, and... well, we all know what happened.

They won't be as "on paper formidable" as was seemingly the case the last few years. Developments both negative & positive will force an injection of youth & less BBB '09-'12 style. And, that's okay. I harp on it & understand it's a cliche, but the league *is* changing, and what worked in years previous relative to "the Boston Model" at this point presents diminishing returns. Gotta keep moving on.

Believe Kirk recently revealed he was Van Halen fan #1. I'm not, though I remember that first album (beautifully produced, with plenty of welcome attitude).

Tune of the day: *"Change."* ;)

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Who are these people in the black and gold? do they even care?

This sounds like the conversation over the summer here

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia

Not sure if username is serious :sarcasm:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Think I`m going to wait til they put more than 0 games together as a body of work before I judge/predict how good or bad this team will be nor will I accept that Bergeron is the only core player who cares about winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad