What's the best place to buy retro consoles/games/accessories online?

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Hi everyone!

To make a long story short, I'm planning on buying an original Wii (the one compatible with GC games) and some games I haven't had the chance to play (Super Mario Galaxy 1 &2, Zelda Twilight Princess, Zelda Skyward Sword, etc.). I'd also like to find myself a GC controller and memory card, since I lent these accessories to a friend I had 7-8 years ago and never got them back.

I was thinking about ordering these items online from Lukie Games (online retrogaming shop) but I've read pretty bad stuff about them (broken/damaged games and controllers upon delivery, etc.) so I don't know anymore. They're also based in Florida so with the shipping/exchange rate (I live in Canada), I'm looking at a ~ CA$240 bill for the Wii, two games (Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2), a wired GC controller and a memory card. The GC controller is almost 40 dollars US by itself which I find a bit pricey. Are these standard prices for what I'm looking for?

Do you guys have better options for me? What are the best (product quality/bang for your buck) places to buy used consoles/games/accessories online?

Thank you in advance for your time everyone and have a nice day! :)

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I have a pretty large retro game collection.

For price, eBay is usually the best. If you do an online or in person retro game store, their prices are typically higher but they also test and clean the games before sale.

I would definitely try Shop Goodwill, Goodwill's auction site. They usually have the consoles bundled with large game lots.

I've also had luck with JJGames.

Stay far away from GameStop online.

I just checked Shop Goodwill. 7 hours left on this one:
Nintendo 2006 Wii Sports System with 12 Games

$33 for the Wii, box, a controller and 12 games. Their auctions typically don't move much at the end like eBay because it's not a hugely popular site yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: PKCowboysOwn

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I bought my Wii (the older model model with GC ports), with a couple games off ebay ($40), but my Dreamcast ($73) and Saturn ($130) I bought from Lukie games. All consoles looked very clean, and were packed well. The Saturn and DC I bought in January 2018.

The prices on Saturns ATM though...:confused: (almost $190) I really need to add more Saturn games though, just really want Panzer Dragoon.

I've bought some games from JJgames, some PS2 and 360. Those were mostly fine, but one of the PS2 GTA discs is scratched up, and doesn't read well. One of those two stores, I bought a handful of 3DS games too.

Reactions: PKCowboysOwn

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Doesn’t eBay have a lot of fake/pirated/bootleg game cartridges though??

There are. The bootlegs are usually of the more expensive games, so if you're getting like a Clay Fighters Sculptures Cut for $40, it's a bootleg.

The more knowledgeable dealers will show the boards in the images.

For N64 it's usually pretty easy to spot a potential bootleg. The i on the back of the cartidige should be square. Most of the knock offs have rounded dots over the i due to how they make the cartridge. Still can never be 100 percent unless you open the cart.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Thanks for the help everyone! It's been a month already and since I'm not used to starting threads, I thought I'd receive a notification (red dot on the bell in the upper right corner) everytime someone would post in the thread. Clearly it's not the case since I just discovered that I had multiple replies right now, at least I know for next time. :laugh:

I've been quite busy too so I put my project on hold for the moment but I'll definitely give a try to ebay, shopgoodwill, JJgames, etc.

Again thanks for the input, very much appreciated!

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Hi everyone!

To make a long story short, I'm planning on buying an original Wii (the one compatible with GC games) and some games I haven't had the chance to play (Super Mario Galaxy 1 &2, Zelda Twilight Princess, Zelda Skyward Sword, etc.). I'd also like to find myself a GC controller and memory card, since I lent these accessories to a friend I had 7-8 years ago and never got them back.

I was thinking about ordering these items online from Lukie Games (online retrogaming shop) but I've read pretty bad stuff about them (broken/damaged games and controllers upon delivery, etc.) so I don't know anymore. They're also based in Florida so with the shipping/exchange rate (I live in Canada), I'm looking at a ~ CA$240 bill for the Wii, two games (Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2), a wired GC controller and a memory card. The GC controller is almost 40 dollars US by itself which I find a bit pricey. Are these standard prices for what I'm looking for?

Do you guys have better options for me? What are the best (product quality/bang for your buck) places to buy used consoles/games/accessories online?

Thank you in advance for your time everyone and have a nice day! :)

In Ontario if I want to shop around/ ask questions/ etc. I go to Microplay, which in Montreal I believe is called something like Videotron Superclub

Maybe use that as a good starting point and then take the info to ebay/ kijiji

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Thanks for the help everyone! It's been a month already and since I'm not used to starting threads, I thought I'd receive a notification (red dot on the bell in the upper right corner) everytime someone would post in the thread. Clearly it's not the case since I just discovered that I had multiple replies right now, at least I know for next time. :laugh:

I've been quite busy too so I put my project on hold for the moment but I'll definitely give a try to ebay, shopgoodwill, JJgames, etc.

Again thanks for the input, very much appreciated!

You get the red dot when someone replies to you like this lol. Let us know what your haul is when you do get everything, I'd be interested.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Microplay??? :amazed:

Jesus Christ, I haven’t been in of those in over 20 years. I had no idea they were still around. :laugh:

The one in Newmarket (Aurora? Right on the border so hard to say) is excellent. The ownership are friendly and the staff are knowledgeable

All the EB Games stores nearby are miserable to walk into

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Probably - I have had good experiences with some in the not so distant past in different parts of the province, but the ones in around Aurora/ Newmarket are pitiful IMO

Yeah. As I said in another thread, EB/GameStop stores are so cramped, generally disorganized, and small. This is amplified x1000000 when you’re in there when it’s busy and you gotta fight through a sea of people (whom more often then not...are just standing around and/or not buying anything). Meanwhile you’re trying to get to the checkout line so you can pay and get the **** out of that overcrowded closet of a store.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
6YgPNW4
VJbroTY.jpg

My N64 collection. 234 out of 296.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad