What's makes Tampa's Powerplay the best in the NHL?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's part of it and holds the puck the most but he wouldn't be nearly as effective without the multiple great shooting options around him. Without Stamkos or Point, or if either were left handed, other teams could rush Kucherov more often, but as is, they're afraid that breaking their PK setup could allow a one-timer.

No this is completely wrong, it's all Kucherov. Neither Stamkos or Point would get their shot off without Kucherov finding them and they are terrible passers on their own.

I would easily take the 2nd unit + Kucherov than Stamkos, Point, Hedman and Paul plus anyone else on the team.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't understand Paul on the first PP unit, should be Hagel.

I kinda alluded to that in my earlier post, sometimes it's about filling a niche rather than necessarily putting out the five most skilled players. Paul was 54.3% in the faceoff dot this year and a big body who can be a screen while not needing to touch the puck (ie, Tampa lets the other skilled guys do that).

The Devils had the #1 PP in 2000-01 and used Bobby Holik on the top unit over say Alexander Mogilny or Scott Gomez. Similar to Paul, Holik was great at faceoffs and could park himself in front of the goalie and occupy a defender. This opened up some additional room for the four skilled guys to do their thing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad