What's Going With Houston and the NHL?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's not the same market though. The potential of making so much more money via Houston could offset the price.
Houston is larger market than SLC and has the arena ready. If the nhl was going to cut Fertitia a deal they’d be better off doing that now with the coyotes.

Every market is different. But sales would factor in the market. Charlotte hornets sold for $3 bill vs the Suns at $4 bill and bucks at $3.5 bill within a span of around 2 years or so. Logically the prices make sense due to their respective markets with phx being the largest of the 3.

Reactions: carjackmalone

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
To get a team you need two things, 1) ownership with an arena or the ability to build one, and 2) the willingness to spend what the NHL owners consider market value for a franchise.

It really helps if an NBA owner that already has a building also wants to own an NHL team. You can really justify adding a second major tenant to the building you already own, and to the building you are likely to build in the near/mid-term future. That's 82 nights a year covered. For years, the answer to why isn't the NHL in SLC was that the Jazz owner didn't want to own an NHL team. A city that size has no need for two arenas, and it's hard to make money playing in someone else's barn (assuming its owner will let you use it). Today, the Jazz owner does also want to own an NHL team, and the building they play in, and that makes a huge difference.

Houston has been plagued for years by an NBA owner that didn't want an NHL team or to share the building with a separate NHL team owned by someone else in Houston.

Houston now has an NBA owner who IS interested in having an NHL team. Yet he's currently unwilling to spend what others are willing to spend ($1B+) to acquire a relocated or expansion franchise, and that is the current holdup. Smith in SLC was willing to spend that coin (after Ottawa sold for that coin too). The Rockets owner may have to shift off of that hill, because there are other cities that do value NHL franchises accordingly.

...or what is most likely, the NHL remains patient and Houston expansion sits on the back burner, which is also fine. I don't expect them to go to Houston for less than market value, though. Devaluing franchises is the one thing that will drive the owners to fire a commissioner. (I mean, they can just veto the sale/expansion itself, so they won't actually allow him to devalue franchises, but the point remains).

In a lot of ways, you can distill the entire job of the commissioner of a sports league down to driving up franchise values for his constituency, which are the owners. That's who the commissioner works for, and that is what they prize most. If a Houston billionaire sports mogul wants a team but doesn't want to pay what the owners consider the going rate, then they won't give him a team until that changes.

The commissioner doesn't have a vote, incidentally. He has the power to set the agenda, and that is real power because you don't call any votes until you know you are going to win them. Yet he can't make them agree to green-light a team in Houston for peanuts because that is squarely against their interests. One day, they will probably want to sell their teams too.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Houston’s only problem is Houston. If they have an owner and an arena, the NHL will be there.

yeah no reason they can't or won't get a team if there's interest on their end

but the NHL can't force there to be interest, there has to be someone willing to pay what it costs to get Houston a team, and they need to have the Arena sorted out as well

Reactions: tucker3434

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I recall that when four (Nsh, Atl, Min, CBJ) teams were added at the turn of the century, three applicants would bring a team to Houston but none of them was selected.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I recall that when four (Nsh, Atl, Min, CBJ) teams were added at the turn of the century, three applicants would bring a team to Houston but none of them was selected.
Odd situation in that they needed an arena plan but one bid by rockets owner, one by Aeros owner and other bid. The other 2 if successful would need to work with Les Alexander the rockets owner and the city to work out an arena deal.

Think it ended up being that the city wanted the nhl to pick a bid from the city while the nhl wanted the city to work out an arena with one of the applicants or something like that.

Reactions: DaveG

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
If the Leafs don't win this year, that could be a good place to put them.

Leafs --> Houston Jets
Jets --> Pittsburgh Penguins
Penguins --> Toronto Maple Leafs

Now all the Leafs fans can brag about the cups they've won recently.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I heard a reporter suggest that the NHL really doesn't expect to go back to Arizona with that guy as owner, so I expect other cities will come back first.
If I were you I would listen to what Gary Bettman said instead of what some random reporter has suggested.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I could be wrong here, I am only going off my uninformed opinion but I think Austin may be a better market than Houston. Austin has an NHL city size plus it would be the only game in town.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I could be wrong here, I am only going off my uninformed opinion but I think Austin may be a better market than Houston. Austin has an NHL city size plus it would be the only game in town.
New arena is "basketball only" so would have obstructed view seats and really low capacity doing that as it barely seats 15k for basketball.

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It’s not about the price. Fertitta didn’t get back into the game for a new team until late February. At that point, Smith had been cultivating a strong relationship with the NHL for months and months.

A good relationship with the NHL is a big factor in everything relating to relocation and expansion. I personally think that if Jim Balsille had done it the way Ryan Smith did, or Bill Foley, then there would be an NHL team in Hamilton today.

Fertitta is working to create that relationship now, but he was behind Smith when the league decided the Coyotes situation needed to be addressed in early March.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

With how Austin is growing and why (tech), I expect they'll be on the list down the road. In the short run, I expect the NHL wants to finish out any cities that have the other top 3/4 sports but lack hockey. They're the low hanging fruit. After that, Austin, Portland, QC, Hamilton, KC, etc. will get their shots. Houston's entry might push Austin down the list a bit though.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The long and short of it is that Fertitta has always thought that he could cheat the system and get an NHL franchise for far less than the expansion sticker price, via buying up a failing team and moving them. He'd been eyeing the Coyotes for a while. But the NHL has a number of interested owners *at* the sticker price, and when the Coyotes had to move, was able to arrange a deal with an owner that was actually willing to pay up at full value.

Fertitta will only get his team if he admits to himself that he's been substantially undervaluing NHL franchises and isn't going to get one in the bargain bin. He's probably kicking himself for not buying in with Vegas at $500m- but the ultrawealthy are quite often stubborn assholes, so he might also dig in and pout about being entitled to a team on the terms he wants and thus never get one.

Reactions: Summer Rose

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The long and short of it is that Fertitta has always thought that he could cheat the system and get an NHL franchise for far less than the expansion sticker price, via buying up a failing team and moving them. He'd been eyeing the Coyotes for a while. But the NHL has a number of interested owners *at* the sticker price, and when the Coyotes had to move, was able to arrange a deal with an owner that was actually willing to pay up at full value.

Fertitta will only get his team if he admits to himself that he's been substantially undervaluing NHL franchises and isn't going to get one in the bargain bin. He's probably kicking himself for not buying in with Vegas at $500m- but the ultrawealthy are quite often stubborn assholes, so he might also dig in and pout about being entitled to a team on the terms he wants and thus never get one.
Per a google search, Fertitia purchased the Rockets in Sept 2017, thus he didn't have control of the Toyota Center until then. LV expansion draft was in 2017, so that process was back in 2015. So, he could not have purchased an NHL team. His price for the Rockets was $2.2 billion, so adding another $500 mill at the time was stretching it for him.

But, let's say he was interested when the NHL decided to award Seattle a team back in like 2019. Does the NHL bypass Seattle or do they move AZ out to Houston as the Coyotes were sold to AM in 2019?

Price tag for an expansion team that the NHL is eying for the large top 10 markets like ATL and Hou is more than the $1.4 billion TB sold at. So, talking $1.5 bill, plus. TF doesn't need an NHL team. Lease was for 30 years until 2033.

Right now, that's the standoff. TF owns the arena and basically region per the lease agreement. NHL grants the teams. They have to agree to a number, but that number takes into account the market and other expansion teams. NHL could have been in Houston in the late 90's, but it never happened for whatever reason.

Like I said before, I don't think owners in the top 10 markets have much leverage when it comes to a threat of moving the team. Clear difference in values between AZ to MIL to CHA who were all sold over the past 2-3 years. Can't leave the Houston market. More likely than not he agrees to something with the city.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I still expect Houston to get a team with the NHL ends up with 4 more expansion teams. Arizona, Houston, Atlanta, and a north eastern team.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Houston is the #6 TV market in the US and they have some history with hockey. They're going to get a team, the only question is when.

BTW, Atlanta is the #7 TV market, so no surprise they'll get another shot with a suburban arena this time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Houston is the #6 TV market in the US and they have some history with hockey. They're going to get a team, the only question is when.

BTW, Atlanta is the #7 TV market, so no surprise they'll get another shot with a suburban arena this time.
Been a quarter century since their 3 bids for expansion in Houston. Everything in the end depends on the desires of the owner.

Les Alexander could have had the thrashers in 2011 if he was interested. After he got the arena he decided he didn’t need an nhl team. Plus he ended up selling the rockets 6 years later. Fertitia got the rockets after the LV expansion process. He made comments after Seattle regarding the price that probably didn’t win him any support from other nhl owners.

NHL and houston seems like a fit but been waiting a long time for that to actually materialize.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad