Speculation: What's going to happen?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
There's a lot of talk in the last few days about what to do in the offseason, who to let go and who to try and move forward with. Interesting though that is I kinda wanna get into what's going on here in the next 2 months :P

The Coyotes overall points % is: .574 which is tied for 3rd. We would win the tie breaker with regulation wins at this time.

Vancouver is very close though at .568. They are making a big push right now, whether it's sustainable is the question.

My big concern is this:
October Pts% - .625
November Pts% - .562
Dec/Jan Pts% - .526

It would be pretty easy to point at Kuemper, and it's a definite factor, but obviously not all of it. It's moot anyway since Kuemper won't be back till the break, and we don't' know what kinda condition he'll be in.

Right now the team has 54 points, if we take the possible points remaining and add it via total pts % we come out to 94 points. It's possible that's enough depending on what the rest of the Pacific does, but it will be CLOSE.

If we keep rocking this .520 to .560 range though, we'll fall short.

What's missing? Close games. The Coyotes in October and November grabbed a lot of valuable points in losses by playing tough. The Coyotes haven't had a salvage a point game since November 29th.

In October-November the Coyotes in wins, won by an average of 1.93 goals. Since then they have won by 2.3 on average. A nice improvement.

But in losses it's a different story. Through November when the Coyotes lost, they only lost by an average of 1.33 goals. Since, they are losing by an average of 2.4. A massive decline and it predates losing Kuemper.

IMO the team has lost its identity. Through patchwork and adding Taylor Hall they've managed to stay afloat by increasing scoring. But they have lost the ability to stay in games they had no business getting points out of, which was a key advantage of the team earlier in the year. Thus far the scoring increase has helped but only to stop the bleeding, not completely fix things. Also it has seemed to come in bunches due to general streakiness so they run up the score in games and then get whacked in others.

My bottom line is this, without one of those insane months the Coyotes have traditionally put together in January or February, we're gonna fall short. Can we get one of those in a season that wasn't over by October 31st? without Kuemper for around half of that?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Well, we need to get Kuemper back, we need to get Hjalmarsson back and we need to get Hayton into the lineup.

Second, I know people like Hinostroza, but he's at the bottom of the same cookie cutter forwards we have on the team, he doesn't hit, doesn't score, rarely sets up good plays

Hall/Dvorak/Garland
Keller/Soderberg/Schmaltz
Crouse/Hayton/Kessel (hoping for improvement)
Grabner/Stepan/Fischer

Hinostroza doesn't play big, Fischer actually plays big, less consistently than we'd like, but he does hit and play big and he's much better on the cycle than many of our forwards

Coyote Hit Leaders:
Crouse - 133
Fischer - 103
Lyubushkin - 98
OEL - 86
Goligoski - 62
Demers - 59
Soderberg - 53
Chychrun - 51

I think it balances the lines out, and Fischer actually has 5 goals in less games played and fewer minutes

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The only team worse at creating chances 5v5 is Detroit. The Coyotes must have one of the lowest offensive possession times in the league as a result. If it's not off the rush, they likely aren't scoring, and teams know this. Tampa had their assistant on their broadcast and he talked openly about it. The book on how to beat this team is out there.

I don't like the coaching at the moment and I don't like the leadership mix at all. A Vezina caliber goalie can take a team kicking and screaming into the playoffs, though. And maybe they find another gear there. Maybe a certain few players rediscover their love of hockey.

Tocchet should really go back to Crouse - Soderberg - Fischer as a speed bump line because they need to put some kind of pressure on the other team consistently.

I'd go:
Hall - Schmaltz - Keller
Garland - Dvorak - Hinostroza
Crouse - Soderberg - Fischer
Grabner - Stepan - Kessel

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
I think we just need more puck luck. Where can we get lots of that stuff?

I've got to say, I'm so sick of hearing about Hammer or the break. Every team has injuries. Look at the freaking penguins. We've just got this golden ticket excuse that once Hammer or Kemps are back, then... Then everything is going to be OK.

It will be a great day when they both return, but until then... Rants, quit getting hurt and win some games. Defense, enough mental mistakes and awful zone exits. Oesterele, just take some days off.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think we just need more puck luck. Where can we get lots of that stuff?

Another thing I was thinking about looking at is how we're doing in one goal games. Maybe tomorrow :P
Chayka has previously said he thinks 1 goal game outcomes are largely luck related. Various numbers aficionados mean very different things when it comes to talking about luck though :laugh:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I don't like the offense...we've been a low scoring team since Tocchet arrived. We've got much better players now and we're still bottom 3rd in the league. There is a reason for that. I think the team actually looks much better when we're going up and down the ice.

As we've said, we're an "off the rush" team, then let's play to that strategy and open it up and make it a track meet. I'm just tired of watching other teams cycle for days and actually set up good quality shots off the cycle, while our cycle is basically cycle, cycle, pass to the point for a muffin shot or we lose it on the cycle and it goes the other way.

I'd really like to see shots scored...I'm certain we're dead last on Cycle Goals and dead last on Rebound Goals.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
IMO the team has lost its identity.

Wonder how much letting go of our defensive coach at the end of last year contributed to this -- apparently Tocchet didn't think he was vocal enough in the room and Phil Housley became available so for some reason we thought it was an upgrade to fire the guy who coached us to be the stingiest team in the league (and was apparently very well liked by the team / staff).

Scott Allen (ice hockey) - Wikipedia
(paywall) Scott Allen will not return as Coyotes assistant coach

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Wonder how much letting go of our defensive coach at the end of last year contributed to this -- apparently Tocchet didn't think he was vocal enough in the room and Phil Housley became available so for some reason we thought it was an upgrade to fire the guy who coached us to be the stingiest team in the league (and was apparently very well liked by the team / staff).

The wrong assistant was let go and I'd wager very few (on this forum) would disagree.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

That was a puzzling move.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
We've been able to keep pace while missing our best defensive defenseman. I think we've tried to cover for our shoddy third pair for far too long and it's resulted in too many goals against.

Reactions: cobra427

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
25-18-5 - to date
3-1-1 - balance of January (SJ, @Van, @EDM, @Ana, LAK)
6-6-2 - February (tough month)
8-5-0 - March
2-0-0 - April
44-30-8 - TOTAL

96 Points, 2nd in the Pacific

First WHITE OUT scheduled for Thursday, April 9

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad