What's going to happen with Barry Trotz?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Just an outsider who's curious in which direction Trotz and the Capitals decide to go in once the offseason arrives.

I've been reading rather consistently that Trotz is done with an underwhelming regular season this year. But now the team is finally beat the Penguins and is made it passed the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Regardless of how the team finishes the playoffs, does Trotz earn a new contract? Does he want to stay or go somewhere else?

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Just an outsider who's curious in which direction Trotz and the Capitals decide to go in once the offseason arrives.

I've been reading rather consistently that Trotz is done with an underwhelming regular season this year. But now the team is finally beat the Penguins and is made it passed the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Regardless of how the team finishes the playoffs, does Trotz earn a new contract? Does he want to stay or go somewhere else?
I think he deserves one. This team lost quite a few players in the offseason and are now looking to go up 2-0 on the road in the ECF.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004

I am not quite sure how you consider a 105 point season and winning the division title to be an underwhelming season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's going to be interesting. It was clear they weren't fully happy with him and didn't have him extended going into the playoffs. Round 1 lots of talk he's done.

Now that's all changed.

Here's my question, are they willing to give him the 4-5 year contract at big money that he could get if he left? Sure 1-2 years the team has to do, but is that enough for him to stick around?

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
If you were to look at the "which teams change coaches" Trotz and the Caps were mentioned quite frequently

That's because everyone assumed they would lose in the 2nd round again as usual.

Unless he completely shits the bed from here, he's likely to be offered an extension.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm going to start calling him Barry Tortz if he wins the cup. That's what's going to happen to him.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
That's because everyone assumed they would lose in the 2nd round again as usual.

Unless he completely ****s the bed from here, he's likely to be offered an extension.

I agree he's earned an extension, I just wonder what Trotz decides to do. Does stay, does he test the market, does he retire?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
He's a historically great coach having another great season so I expect he'll stay.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Going in to the playoffs a 1/2 round exit probably meant not even an offer of an extension. Now that he's gotten the team to the 3rd round and playing well I'd have to guess they'll offer him an extension. The amount depends on what the team does from here. The only thing that would change this is if they decided to retool the entire team and lower expectations for next year. However that makes no sense if you have a finals level team.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Retirement, I think it's possible that the "wait and see" has been on his end.

If it's a Cup, he goes out on top. If they lose the Finals I think the next week or two after that will be where he learns if he's okay with it, or if it still burns at him and he wants another kick or two at winning.

Mr. Met

Nov 8, 2017
Remain with the team next season
ConsciousActiveEarwig.gif

Reactions: Guerzy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm not sure he wants to stay as Washington's coach. There are rumours that he could be retiring after this season, but with his first great playoff run as a coach, that could maybe change his mind, I don't know.

What I know is that the Caps will likely offer him an extension.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The regular season wasn't a disappointment. The Caps finished at the top of a very tough division. They didn't have the Sabres and Coyotes to beat up on 5 times a season. Playing miserable teams 5 vs 3 or 2 games, makes a huge difference to point standings.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Humpty Dumbty should be offered an extension in a league where Don Waddell is named GM in 2018.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad