What's going to happen to Tokarski?

TeamTHG

Feb 5, 2014
7.jpg

Of all the questions answered over the summer and of the few questions that remain, the role of who will backup Carey Price is just as relevant now as it was back in May.Michelle Therrien’s decision to bypass his veteran backup, Peter Budaj, and handover the reins to 24 year-old Dustin Tokarski, seemed to symbolize a changing of the guard.

This, along with Tokarski’s ability to run with the opportunity and have a few outstanding performances, suggested that he might be the answer to the question of Montreal’s future backup.

Read the full story

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Not worth losing Tokarski on waivers for nothing.

Look to move Budaj. Great guy, but Price/Tokarski should be our tandem.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Any chance they delay the decision in case Price isn't 100% ready to start the season, and want to keep 3 goalies just in case?

callmek2

Go Habs Go!
Oct 5, 2011
I'd move Tokarski instead of Budaj.

I like Tokarski and loved the way he handled himself in the playoffs. Plus he's won at virtually every level. Budaj is viewed as a career back up at this point in his career. Tokarski has a chance to be a starting goalie. The return for a potential starting goalie is a lot higher than a back up. After Tokarski's playoff performance, I assume his value should be pretty high. Having a him play back up for a whole year, might drop his value.

Additionally, if we didn't have Price and Furcale, I'd keep Tokarski. With our goalie depth, we can afford to trade Tokarski.

Only downside of keeping Budaj, is how he reacts to being bypassed in the playoffs.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Trade whoever has the most value.. Tokarski won't have a lot of value.. He's still too small for an NHL starter

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Trade whoever has the most value.. Tokarski won't have a lot of value.. He's still too small for an NHL starter

And WAAAAAAY too green. He's not going to develop playing 12-18 games a season and you have fucale in the wings, if he touches the torch as it passes it will be extremely short lived.

If price is okay with Budaj, that's good enough for me.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
A really good indicator of what is going to happen here is the signing of Joey MacDonald. I can't see MacDonald accepting to sign here as a backup in the AHL. The management must have promised him that one between Budaj or Tokarski is going to get traded.

It would also be unfair to send once again Condon to the ECHL.

Who is better between Tokarski and Budaj is debatable. But, in terms of best quality/price backup, Tokarski is clearly ahead with a 2 years contract at minimal salary (550'000$ and 575'00$). Considering that next year Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi and Beaulieu are RFA, this price of our backup become increasingly important.

By that logic we can presume that Tokarski will be the backup of Price for at least the two upcoming seasons.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2009
éal
A really good indicator of what is going to happen here is the signing of Joey MacDonald. I can't see MacDonald accepting to sign here as a backup in the AHL. The management must have promise him that one between Budaj or Tokarski is going to get traded.

It would also be unfair to send once again Condon to the ECHL.

Who is better between Tokarski and Budaj is debatable. But, in terms of best quality/price backup, Tokarski is clearly ahead with a 2 years contract at minimal salary (550'000$ and 575'00$). Considering that next year Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi and Beaulieu are RFA, this price of our backup become increasingly important.

By that logic we can presume that Tokarski will be the backup of Price for at least the two upcoming seasons.

lol the hell we have signed joey macdonald completely missed that one

rotate budaj/tokarski/price to start season and deal tokarski once he get a bit of value

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

rotate budaj/tokarski/price to start season and deal tokarski once he get a bit of value

He will never have value, at least not more than a 3rd. Goalies can barely get value when they are proven stars, hence Luongo and Miller. Tokarski would need to pull a Schneider to get anything significant. I think we will end up putting Budaj on waivers, which will likely result in him claimed.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

yeah I dont see that. Neither Budaj/Tokarski are going get enough starts to showcase them. the only way they play more than 15 games is if Price gets hurt.
Even then, lets say something awful happens and Tokarski plays 40 games. What do you think the open market value is for a goalie ( who has troubles handling the puck) with less than 50 or so NHL games ?

This is one of the times you go with the devil you know, Budaj is fine with limited action playing a clear #2 to Price. In a backup role he does what he has to even if it appears that MT lost confidence in him last year.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Still just have to wait and see what the landscape is like when you make the final cuts. It's entirely possible both of Tokarski and Budaj would clear waivers with no other NHL team needing a backup. Or it's possible some team out there could develop at least a temporary need due to injury that would see them prefer to take a waiver claim option rather than sign any of the bigger name free agent goalies. At this point, it's impossible to guess.

So you just let the process play itself out. See how the players perform in camp, see how the landscape looks at the time you actually have to make a decision.

That said, of course I'd take a trade for Budaj in the meantime, if one came up - I think we can presume there isn't, and hasn't been, any available opportunity there. And in the back of my mind, I'd be preferring to retain Tokarski for the longer haul. But it's pointless to try to force an immediate decision right now. There's a month and a more information to come in, so just let it play out.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think they'll try to sneak Tokarski through waivers during training camp cuts when every team more or less has a guy or 2 that they're also trying to sneak through waivers. Remember, there was a time when we were all certain Mathieu Carle would get snatched. You never know.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I think Budaj is as good as gone unless Tokarski is in a trade package that improves the team.

so what do you think Tokarski's value on the opn market is right now ? Ive seen people say trade him for a third which is, IMO, completely unrealistic. He's completely unproven in the NHL and if someone claims him its likely to be a plan B backup kind of situation.

If you think that he has the skills to actually garner interest as a 1b, where do you think he gets this expereince ? in montreal ? highly unlikely.

I'm not anti-tokarski, he might end up as something but I dont see that being in montreal.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
so what do you think Tokarski's value on the opn market is right now ? Ive seen people say trade him for a third which is, IMO, completely unrealistic. He's completely unproven in the NHL and if someone claims him its likely to be a plan B backup kind of situation.

Why is it unrealistic? Seems like he is a good enough prospect to be drafted in the 3rd or so round and you don't have to wait years for him to age since 18-20 year old goalies never make the NHL.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Why is it unrealistic? Seems like he is a good enough prospect to be drafted in the 3rd or so round and you don't have to wait years for him to age since 18-20 year old goalies never make the NHL.

you think you get a third round pick for a guy with 10 nhl games ? I was pleased with his play largely because I didnt have any expectations.

Prior to Price getting hurt, Tokarksi was a guy most figured just didnt fit the plans of the team , a scrappy goalie who would likely be ahl bound for good. I'm not sure he clears waivers and if he doesnt the team that claims him does so laikely for depth only.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
The NHL could learn some things from MLB - recallable waivers being one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad