OT: Whatcha Eatin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Have any of you guys tried full moon oyster bar and grill in Morrisville? If you like Oysters this is a go to spot!

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I just made short ribs for the first time.

All I did was sear them, then put them in a crock pot on high for a few hours with a buttload of barbecue sauce.

They were really good.

Last time I did that, they were way too tender. So much so that it resembled pulled pork more than an actual rib. Tasted very good though. Next time I'll try the 6 hour setting instead of 8.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I just got back from a Disney vacation and went to Victoria and Albert's my first night there. The single most amazing meal I've had in my entire life.

10-course meal, not a single one was a dud. Haven't really treated myself too much since graduating, so an absurd meal of luxury was the ticket.

Specifically, the A5 Miyazaki beef with 4-day ox tail reduction was the finest piece of meat I've ever eaten. The wild turbot was caught off the coast of Portugal the day before, and the langoustine was flown in live from New Zealand that day.

Honestly all other food has been ruined for me.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Any Char-Griller Akorn owners around here? Wife surprised me with one for Christmas. I've been talking about getting that or something like it for a while, but didn't want to spend the money on a Green Egg, or Kamado Joe. Can't wait to try it out.

I’ve been looking to get a kamado cooker for awhile. Figured I go with either a Joe or a Primo oval. I’m curious about how you like the Akorn when you get it up and running.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I’ve been looking to get a kamado cooker for awhile. Figured I go with either a Joe or a Primo oval. I’m curious about how you like the Akorn when you get it up and running.

My thought with the Akorn is if I really get into smoking, and using charcoal more (I'm mainly a gas griller) then I might upgrade at some point but the Akorn seems to be a great value. I have a friend with one, and he raves about it. He's had it for a year or so. I just couldn't stomach 1200+ on a grill I would probably only use a few weekends out of a month. I'll definitely keep you posted.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
In honour of the canes taking down the habs last night, I took down this monstrous poutine for lunch. Excuse me while I go have a nap now I may not wake up from.

3EkNXT.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ya I’m not feeling too great but it was worth it.

I don’t eat junk like that very often but I’m home alone all weekend so I figured I’d take advantage of that.

Yeah, I've had my fair share of Poutine when I lived about an hour from MTL. For 7 straight years, I'd spend a week in MTL when the F1 race was there because my brother in law was a huge F1 fan, and it was a great weekend to be there and the weather was usually good then. We'd always stay in a hotel somewhere near Peel and St. Catherine and take the Metro out to the track. I also used to go to some Habs games (only time I've seen Gretzky live was in the Forum), some Expos games and my wife and I would go for a weekend every now and then. I really like the city and the culture there...in the summer. Not so much November through April.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So I tried cooking some NY Strip steaks with a Sous Vide last night. Came out surprisingly very good, although if I do this again, I think I'd do the finishing sear on the grill instead of in a cast iron skillet. Pretty simple in that you put the steaks in a plastic bag with some salt and pepper and remove air, drop them into the water set at 130 (medium rare) for an hour, then take them out and sear them in butter on a cast iron pan. The Sous Vide made for the steak being perfectly cooked all the way through and kept the juices in. Takes longer, but easy way to cook a steak perfectly without having to be there as it just sits in the water. Allowed me to make other things while it cooked (as my wife doesn't eat beef).

rrrqms.jpg

2mjzbs.jpg

o768vd.jpg

nwzcy0.jpg

Reactions: vorbis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3