OT: Whatcha Eatin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
For lunch today: trofie zucchine e gamberi.

ristorante-del-sud.jpg

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Cookout needs to go far far away. The tray is so good and tempting. And the milkshakes. Don't get me started on the milkshakes. So close to campus. Ugh.

Or you could just have enough willpower to not go there. Despite my desire for ALL the Cookout, I really don't go over to the one on Western at all.

For that matter, I really don't go on Western to begin with usually.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
On the way to Detroit this weekend, my girlfriend and I stopped in Columbus for a three way.

That is the real name for this dish.

ways.jpg

I tend to keep cheddar away from my pastas unless making mac & cheese with elbows or ziti. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's not just plain ground beef? Technically your dinner was a 5-way, impressive.

EDIT: After seeing the name of the photo in the img tags I'm guessing that's chili. If there was ever a dish that was crafted by an inebriated individual that has to be one.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I tend to keep cheddar away from my pastas unless making mac & cheese with elbows or ziti. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's not just plain ground beef? Technically your dinner was a 5-way, impressive.

EDIT: After seeing the name of the photo in the img tags I'm guessing that's chili. If there was ever a dish that was crafted by an inebriated individual that has to be one.

Actually, a five way would have had kidney beans and onions in it. :sarcasm:

It's Cincinnati chili, which is a little different than what we usually think of as chili. It has a lot of spices in it, but not the kind that sets your mouth on fire. It also has tomato paste and unsweetened chocolate, which sounds weird, but it works. They usually put it on either spaghetti noodles or a hot dog, then top it with a mound of cheddar, along with the aforementioned onions and beans, if that's what you want.

I think this is the recipe I use when I make it at home. It's pretty close to the real deal, but takes forever and a day to make, so it doesn't happen often.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cincin...h&event10=1&e7=Home Page&soid=sr_results_p1i5

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Actually, a five way would have had kidney beans and onions in it. :sarcasm:

It's Cincinnati chili, which is a little different than what we usually think of as chili. It has a lot of spices in it, but not the kind that sets your mouth on fire. It also has tomato paste and unsweetened chocolate, which sounds weird, but it works. They usually put it on either spaghetti noodles or a hot dog, then top it with a mound of cheddar, along with the aforementioned onions and beans, if that's what you want.

I think this is the recipe I use when I make it at home. It's pretty close to the real deal, but takes forever and a day to make, so it doesn't happen often.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cincin...h&event10=1&e7=Home Page&soid=sr_results_p1i5

FWIW, from what I understand the closest to Cincinnati Chili you can get now in Raleigh is the chili at Roast Grill. Once upon a time, when we had a Hard Times location they had Cincinnati. And Terlingua. How I miss their Terlingua. And their cornbread.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
FWIW, from what I understand the closest to Cincinnati Chili you can get now in Raleigh is the chili at Roast Grill. Once upon a time, when we had a Hard Times location they had Cincinnati. And Terlingua. How I miss their Terlingua. And their cornbread.

I remember reading about them, but wasn't living in Raleigh at the time so I never got to check them out. I just had a brilliant food truck idea...

Gotta get a four way with onions.

I like Skyline and there are quite a few of them close to my house but it's really easy to make at home so I find myself doing that more often.

I actually had a four way with beans, which made me feel better about my girlfriend having a three way. No, I never grew up. :sarcasm: I'm having too much fun with these names. Anyway, apparently the one in Westerville gives you your meal for free if it's your first time. Wonder if they all do that.

Do you buy the canned stuff or use a recipe? The problem I'm having, at least with the recipe I'm using, is that there's a considerable amount of prep time, then it has to stew for hours, then it has to sit in the fridge overnight, then be reheated before it's really right. And I'm a lazy cook.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
...I actually had a four way with beans, which made me feel better about my girlfriend having a three way. No, I never grew up. :sarcasm: I'm having too much fun with these names. Anyway, apparently the one in Westerville gives you your meal for free if it's your first time. Wonder if they all do that...

Well a three way for your first time is rather impressive after all.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I remember reading about them, but wasn't living in Raleigh at the time so I never got to check them out. I just had a brilliant food truck idea...

I actually had a four way with beans, which made me feel better about my girlfriend having a three way. No, I never grew up. :sarcasm: I'm having too much fun with these names. Anyway, apparently the one in Westerville gives you your meal for free if it's your first time. Wonder if they all do that.

Do you buy the canned stuff or use a recipe? The problem I'm having, at least with the recipe I'm using, is that there's a considerable amount of prep time, then it has to stew for hours, then it has to sit in the fridge overnight, then be reheated before it's really right. And I'm a lazy cook.

If you go, just remember, they're cash only, and for God's sake, whatever you do, do NOT ask for ketchup on your hot dog. Oh and remember the only toppings available are mustard, slaw, chili, and onions. I'm personally a fan of extra burnt with lots of mustard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad