OT: Whatcha Drinkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

sticknpuck

Mar 3, 2013
(Ice) Cap City
twitter.com
I'm a college student so money is tight, but I still manage to get out to the bar sometimes.
I don't necessarily have a favorite beer or brewer, but I like lager and stouts, something that makes me know I just took a gulp of some beer. I don't like pale ales or IPA's, the hoppy taste is overwhelming to me.

And no, yuengling is not a favorite of mine. It is the worst "decent" beer out there besides Sam Adams.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I'm a college student so money is tight, but I still manage to get out to the bar sometimes.
I don't necessarily have a favorite beer or brewer, but I like lager and stouts, something that makes me know I just took a gulp of some beer. I don't like pale ales or IPA's, the hoppy taste is overwhelming to me.

And no, yuengling is not a favorite of mine. It is the worst "decent" beer out there besides Sam Adams.

hops are delicious

and you hate yuengling and sam adams? are your taste buds broken???

edit - have you ever ate hops i have they taste great

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Not big on beer myself, I usually drink stuff made in the backwoods.

For commercial, uh, usually Jameson or a mixed drink made of vodka, or whiskey sours.

Kram170

Nov 14, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Green-Man-ESB-e1362497990963-200x200.png

sticknpuck

Mar 3, 2013
(Ice) Cap City
twitter.com
hops are delicious

I really don't like the taste of hops, yuengling is weak with a bad aftertaste, IMO.

Most IPA's taste earthy to me, if that makes sense.

Edit - Most of the time I end up drinking light beer or high life or something similar, just because they're cheaper, but not when I go out to bars. I don't drink bad beers in public :sarcasm:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I really don't like the taste of hops, yuengling is weak with a bad aftertaste, IMO.

Edit - Most of the time I end up drinking light beer or high life or something similar, just because they're cheaper, but not when I go out to bars. I don't drink bad beers in public :sarcasm:

You complain Yuengling is weak but espouse High Life? :shakehead Much to learn, you still have.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I cut my teeth on craft beer with Boston Lager, but I find it less and less satisfying as time goes on. I like some of their other brews better these days. Their Brick Red is very good, but you can only get it in Mass. Also loved Old Fezziwig, but they decided to leave it out of their winter pack this year, which made me very sad.

I am convinced New Belgium can do no wrong.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
You complain Yuengling is weak but espouse High Life? :shakehead Much to learn, you still have.

high life is the champagne of beers and is "okay"

yuengling is definitely better and is barely more expensive than high life

some ipas do taste "earthy" but not all, there is a broad range of hop flavor profiles from floral to citrusy to earthy and so forth

Reactions: Roboturner913

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
hops are delicious

I had a huge hops vine that grew up and around my deck and spread like wildfire. I don't know if their are different varieties but it certainly wasn't something I would enjoy munching on. the birds loved to nest in it though.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I cut my teeth on craft beer with Boston Lager, but I find it less and less satisfying as time goes on. I like some of their other brews better these days. Their Brick Red is very good, but you can only get it in Mass. Also loved Old Fezziwig, but they decided to leave it out of their winter pack this year, which made me very sad.

I am convinced New Belgium can do no wrong.

I'll be "that guy" when it comes to New Belgium. I LOVE their lips of faith series, for the most part. Some a big misses but their hits are out of this world and they have far more of those in that series then misses.

La Folie is one of the best sours you can get on the market IMO, considering we can't get Russian River, Hill Farmstead, and can only very rarely find Wicked Weed's sours in town it's probably the best you can basically always find a bottle of for the price point.

But their staple beers? I like the Ranger and 1554, but I honestly don't care much for their other standards (have yet to try Rampant). They're not bad, but they're not as good as many other offerings.

I mean for example, Fat Tire, it's fairly good, but if I'm going for an American Amber I'm leaning towards Bear Republic's Red Rocket or towards Bell's Amber. I'd even take Highland's Gaelic.

Even Ranger, which I like, I wouldn't have as one of my top 10 IPAs that are easy to get. Sculpin, Two Hearted, 60 minute, Jade, Torpedo, Racer 5, Founders Centennial, Green Flash, Stone, and Lagunitas off the top of my head. With the exception of Jade since it's local I can find those beers just about everywhere. And if you're an IPA fan and you haven't had Sculpin yet that's something you need to change STAT.

Of course, given their name, it's appropriate that I like their Belgian style and Belgian inspired stuff the most.

As for what I'm drinking right now:

Founder's Breakfast Stout

foundersbreakfast.jpg

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I won't bag on someone for High Life. For a cheap beer it's actually palatable. That said Yuengling definitely is the better beer IMO (although quite different), and the price point isn't too far off.

Makes sense, I can think of quite a few IPAs that would come across as "earthy" and they're some of the most common ones on the market. Maybe check out a Sierra Nevada Torpedo if something a little more citrusy.

Just don't like the taste of all these newfangled fancy beers I guess. I grew up drinking Molson Canadian and Alexander Keith's (not that you'd know what that is).

I literally gag on these hoppy beers. I have a beer vagina.

I've had some exposure to Keith's. I had the White, it's a bit like Blue Moon. I liked Rickard's White more of the two. Neither sniffs Allagash White though, but I wasn't about to find Allagash in Saskatchewan when I was up there a few years back.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Offhand (without looking anything up) I can think of

Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Crystal
Fuggle
Goldings
Hallertau
Mosaic
Saaz
Simcoe
Sorachi Ace
Willemette

And I know there are tons more that I haven't come across or had beers brewed with.

so is there a difference between the varieties used for brewing and 'ornamental' ones? mine was a perennial vine that's flower/hop looked the same as I've seen in beer ads. it was a beautiful shade plant with nice fall color, that grew like crazy. they smelled alright but were very bitter. you guys who are into beer should plant one for fun and interest if you have a good spot.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Most ornamentals are Cluster IIRC, since that's the oldest variety that's been grown in North America. You can use that for brewing no problem, solid mid-range Alpha Acid % so you can use it for the early additions without having a total IBU slam.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Today I'm drinking Heartbleed Ale!

heartbleed.png

It's nice to know that the Canes aren't even close to being the worst calamity in my life right now. Comforting, really.

--hank

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Sounds like a heretic. Turned me into a newt.

Who went to the beer festival this weekend in Moore Square? No great new finds for me and found Bombshell to be pretty weak. Plenty of Foothills Jade though so a good tradeoff.

I didn't. I swore off of WBF a few years ago - it's too much of a zoo. Too many people and too crowded. I'd rather just sidle up at a tasting room or taphouse and have a few instead.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Sounds like a heretic. Turned me into a newt.

So many great references on the board today. More on topic, I was a big fan of the white IPA Fort Collins did this winter. I like IPAs but have gotten tired of this movement toward hopping you to death that a lot of breweries seem to be having. With summer coming up I'm looking forward to some summer shandy from Leinenkugels, truly the manliest of beverages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad