What year was the best looking? (colors, jerseys)

Prsut18

Jul 30, 2018
CZ
Browsing nhluniforms.com database site right now...

Which season (seasons) is your favorite in the history speaking of colors, uniforms and other aestthetics..

For me it is a tie between 1967/1968 expansion season and 1990/1991 season... Both had colorful and fresh look

Reactions: SealsFan

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
1991 is a great choice. Outside of Toronto, St. Louis, and maybe New Jersey (depending on how much you like the Christmas colors) every team was wearing their best ever jerseys.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I like the mid to late 00's myself. Some of the 3rd jerseys from this era are forgettable but as for the primaries, I liked a lot of the looks and I appreciated the lack of yellow, orange, and bright blue. A lot of people complained about Reebok adding piping and whatnot to uniforms in 2007, but I didn't mind.

CHIMO

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
Mar 7, 2018
Calgary
1991 is a great choice. Outside of Toronto, St. Louis, and maybe New Jersey (depending on how much you like the Christmas colors) every team was wearing their best ever jerseys.

Good choice! Funny you mention St. Louis as I really dig their jerseys from that era. Overall, I was thinking one of 91, 92 or 93. There were some big switches from Minnesota, New Jersey, Hartford and Pittsburgh in those years, so I guess it depends on what you like. Actually, looking at all those teams, I like both sets of jerseys they had in those years. Tough call!

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
I'm not a Chicago Blackhawks fan, but I've always thought their logo was the best in hockey. (really hope they can keep it)
According to nhluniforms.com, 1955 was the first year they went with the enlarged Blackhawk head on a red uniform.
And who could complain about the uniforms of the other 5 teams in the league that year?
s-l1000.jpg

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
From what I've seen, I sort of like the jerseys ('sweaters') in the 1940s.

And yeah, the late-80s/early-90s ones were quite good, too.

Mid-to-late 1990s probably worst period ever, aesthetically speaking.

Reactions: CHIMO

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
From what I've seen, I sort of like the jerseys ('sweaters') in the 1940s.

And yeah, the late-80s/early-90s ones were quite good, too.

Mid-to-late 1990s probably worst period ever, aesthetically speaking.

Mid-1990s were still full of jerseys that were a joy to watch, with at least a couple of great jerseys introduced every year. In the late 1990s the creations got ever more lackluster though. But until 1996 or so all was well.

nov-1996-center-pierre-turgeon-of-the-st-louis-blues-and-anaheim-picture-id287545

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The years that, IMO, the nicest looking hockey jersey in NHL history was being worn - 1944-1947.

Any guesses which jersey I am talking about?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Mid-1990s were still full of jerseys that were a joy to watch, with at least a couple of great jerseys introduced every year. In the late 1990s the creations got ever more lackluster though. But until 1996 or so all was well.

nov-1996-center-pierre-turgeon-of-the-st-louis-blues-and-anaheim-picture-id287545
In my view, those are two of the worst in League history.

90s' jerseys have aged about as well as Linkin Park and Pauly Shore.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm going 1983-84--here's why:

- Best Bruins uniforms ever
- Sabres gorgeous blue/gold w/ shoulder patches
- Best Flames uniforms ever
- Classic Oilers uniforms
- Hartford Whalers were around (one of the best uniforms ever)
- Kings awesome plum and yellow uniforms
- North Stars green and yellow were beautiful
- Devils Christmas uniforms were incredible
- Best Flyers uniforms ever
- Pens uniforms are awesome--although I love the white too--having the yellow is great!
- Quebec Nordiques were around (best uniforms in NHL history)--although I prefer the 92-93 version with the red outline on numbers
- Best St. Louis Blues uniforms ever
- Best Maple Leafs uniforms ever
- Canucks "V" uniforms are legendary!
- Best Capitals uniforms ever
- Best Winnipeg Jets uniforms ever
- Even the "Wales" & "Campbell" All-Star uniforms were incredible

This season was the perfect storm of best uniforms IMO.

AfLxI13.png

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I'm going 1983-84--here's why:

- Best Bruins uniforms ever
- Sabres gorgeous blue/gold w/ shoulder patches
- Best Flames uniforms ever
- Classic Oilers uniforms
- Hartford Whalers were around (one of the best uniforms ever)
- Kings awesome plum and yellow uniforms
- North Stars green and yellow were beautiful
- Devils Christmas uniforms were incredible
- Best Flyers uniforms ever
- Pens uniforms are awesome--although I love the white too--having the yellow is great!
- Quebec Nordiques were around (best uniforms in NHL history)--although I prefer the 92-93 version with the red outline on numbers
- Best St. Louis Blues uniforms ever
- Best Maple Leafs uniforms ever
- Canucks "V" uniforms are legendary!
- Best Capitals uniforms ever
- Best Winnipeg Jets uniforms ever
- Even the "Wales" & "Campbell" All-Star uniforms were incredible

This season was the perfect storm of best uniforms IMO.

AfLxI13.png
Good choice for the most part, but the Flying V jersey (especially the yellow one) looked hideous. Their best jerseys were from the early 90's.

Also, I've never been a fan of the Kings' Lakers color jerseys. Totally lame and unoriginal color scheme.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Good choice for the most part, but the Flying V jersey (especially the yellow one) looked hideous. Their best jerseys were from the early 90's.

Also, I've never been a fan of the Kings' Lakers color jerseys. Totally lame and unoriginal color scheme.
Oh man, I loved both!! :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: Dingo

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, in the mid-1980s, the Leafs, and especially the Canucks and Kings, were brutally ugly!

Two of those three (L.A. and Van) were vastly improved by the end of the 80s and into early-90s, so I think that is a better era.

Reactions: GMR

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
The years that, IMO, the nicest looking hockey jersey in NHL history was being worn - 1944-1947.

Any guesses which jersey I am talking about?
Crosby wasnt even alive, so i have no idea.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Oh man, I loved both!! :laugh: :laugh:
me, too.
i loved the colorful 80s

Purple Kings
Light blue Nordiques
Green Whalers.

I always thought it was done because TV viewing was big, but picture quality sucked. You knew who it was just by color. ... Bright orange Flyers. Great stuff. All of my favorite jerseys are 80s. Although i liked the V, I preferred the next Nucks’ jersey with the skate, but still done in mustard yellow!

Reactions: Boxscore

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
1967-68 was special, simply because of the novelty of expansion (at that scale), and the burst of new colors onto the scene: orange, baby blue, gold, purple, green, etc.

Also, color TV was becoming a thing at this time, so it may have been color overload for those with new color TV sets!

Reactions: SealsFan

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
me, too.
i loved the colorful 80s

Purple Kings
Light blue Nordiques
Green Whalers.

I always thought it was done because TV viewing was big, but picture quality sucked. You knew who it was just by color. ... Bright orange Flyers. Great stuff. All of my favorite jerseys are 80s. Although i liked the V, I preferred the next Nucks’ jersey with the skate, but still done in mustard yellow!
Weren't the purple Kings jerseys just a blatant ripoff of the Lakers? I agree the other two jerseys were awesome.

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
I feel like the Kings wore purple and gold before the Lakers did. The Lakers carried over their Minneapolis colours to LA and starting wearing purple the same time the Kings did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad