What wrong with "Mitch'in" Marner?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Boils down to a guy that is immature, physically and mentally weak who makes too much money. Avoids contact and his shot is too much of a muffin

Problem is when you take too much of the pie you're gonna lack quality soldiers to help you.

It was always gonna take a bit of an overpay to get Tavares that wasn't an issue. Matthews got a bit too much too soon but he was always going to get what he is so again that has never been an issue. Guy almost scored 70 and is a 1OA franchise C. You pay that man

The issue has always been Marner and that contract. It's too bad because he's such a fantastic player in a regular season track meet but when you have Nylander and Marner making what they do there is just nothing left to build out the net and defense. 16 goals per 82 is his playoff production rate. At 20 min a night that is a big problem

Keefe is also an idiot. Nylander comes back and he's on a line with Jarnkrok and Holmberg? Your best playmaker Marner is not playing with your best goal scorer Matthews? Your basically in an elimination game and that's what you come up with? Had to laugh when Nylander burned around a Bruin defender and sent a pass out front to Holmberg who just shot it immediately (like a guy who scored 7 goals would) into Swaymans chest. His systems and decisions are definitely sub standard.

I thought this years team adding Domi Bertuzzi and Knies Robertson maturing could do some damage but that defense is so bad and something smells with that core. They just do not have the battle levels and mix that can get it done. Tough decisions coming

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
He is a very good regular season player but he just sucks in the playoffs, what the biggest issue with Marner?

He will blame the media but he does not help himself in any way by shutting up his critics. Maybe his father is too involved in his career.

If the Maple Leafs lose this series and Marner does not make an impact, there will be massive questions and Marner can't blame the media.

Mitch Marner reminds me of Johnny Gaudreau in Calagry.

You need to sacrifice your body in the playoffs to make a big play and he's not willing. It's really that simple. You can see his hesitation everytime he's racing for the puck in corners/boards battles instead of going 110%

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

To be fair that's a 14 year-old kid arguing with his dad.

I think Marner has serious compete issues but you could probably find similar moments from kids that turned out to be good hockey players. They just didn't have a CBC camera on them at the time.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

Not a marner fan but that wasn’t a great video to watch. Played hockey with one or two kids growing up who had fathers like this. The one kids father was so bad his son was terrified of the ride home after one particular game

They fired Mike Babcock because he was too tough on them.
Babcock was a dogshit coach but keep bringing him up

Reactions: MsMeow

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Took a lot of heat when i was suggesting for a couple years that the Leafs bite the bullet and trade Marner to reset the cap allocations.

In 2020 i was saying trade him to Ottawa for their 2nd 1st @5 OA or to Detroit so he could go play with Larkin.

Could have (possibly) drafted Sanderson or Raymond and had all that cap money to re jig things plus keeping Hyman.

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
Reminds me of Drouin. The criticism/blame on his playoff performances was unwarranted in the past, but at one point the pressure got to him and it became a self-fulfillimg prophecy...

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
He needs to put on a good 10-15 lbs of muscles. Pastrnak was constantly losing puck battles when he weighed 168lbs. Now at 196 lbs, he lost a bit of footspeed, he consistantly wins battles and look whats its done to his overall game.

Crosby 5"11 200 lbs
Pastrnak 6"0 196 lbs
Mackinnon 6"0 200lbs
Marner 6"0 180lbs... I doubt he's 180lbs

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not a marner fan but that wasn’t a great video to watch. Played hockey with one or two kids growing up who had fathers like this. The one kids father was so bad his son was terrified of the ride home after one particular game

My Dad was like that, even though I played at a much lower level of competition.

On the ride home:

"In the 2nd period, about eight minutes left, you gave the puck away along the boards instead of looking for the easy outlet."

"Yes, Dad, I remember, I was there."

He was worse to my older (and better) brother. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of mistakes made in the game which he would rattle off.

Interestingly, my brother coaches boys and girls hockey, and has 3 daughters, and when my Dad showed up and acted up a bit at one of their games during a loss, he gave our Dad an ultimatum about his behaviour or he wouldn't be allowed to attend any future games.

Since then he's actually been pretty good. I'm proud of my brother for telling him how it is.

I used to dread the ride home after one of my losses.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
My Dad was like that, even though I played at a much lower level of competition.

On the ride home:

"In the 2nd period, about eight minutes left, you gave the puck away along the boards instead of looking for the easy outlet."

"Yes, Dad, I remember, I was there."

He was worse to my older (and better) brother. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of mistakes made in the game which he would rattle off.

Interestingly, my brother coaches boys and girls hockey, and has 3 daughters, and when my Dad showed up and acted up a bit at one of their games during a loss, he gave our Dad an ultimatum about his behaviour or he wouldn't be allowed to attend any future games.

Since then he's actually been pretty good. I'm proud of my brother for telling him how it is.

I used to dread the ride home after one of my losses.
It's tough as a parent sometimes to watch your kid play and mail in an effort sometimes but at least I can remember playing and having some nights where even though I wanted to bring it I just couldn't.

My wife and I have a rule. Any constructive feedback is always before a game and it's all positive after.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He’s the scapegoat for other teammates who equally shit the bed and underperform when the games matter and the opponent brings 100% competitiveness to every shift.

This is a trend that is almost a decade old. The other spineless wonder is constantly given the benefit of the doubt despite having an entire careers worth of proof.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's tough as a parent sometimes to watch your kid play and mail in an effort sometimes but at least I can remember playing and having some nights where even though I wanted to bring it I just couldn't.

My wife and I have a rule. Any constructive feedback is always before a game and it's all positive after.
I coached my son in another sport for years.
I think a lot of fathers live vicariously though their kids and put pressure on them for their own deficiencies as an athlete.
I vowed if I ever became that kind of dad I’d quit coaching. Had a blast!

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I wouldn't trade a relationship with my dad or my son for any money in the world.

I mean I've never been offered that deal but I like to think I'd decline. Maybe we all have in one way or another and that's why we're all still poor. Makes you think doesn't it
Is their relationship really ruined? Doesn’t his dad still go on dad trips with the team?

This isn't exactly a Bobby Ryan or Jack Johnson scenario.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's more of an issue specific to certain players. Unfortunately, those players are key players and they are paid a lot of money.

But as a team, I don't think they're particularly soft in the sense that the whole team can't handle physical play. They have their defensemen and depth and support guys who can play a physical game. When it comes to lacking mental toughness, that seems to be more of a team-wide problem.
If your best players are thrown off their game by physical play, your team is soft.

Having a bunch of grinders and enforcers at the bottom of your lineup doesn't change that.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Who can/will give up assets for him this offseason? Any team who would (not many) wouldn't be on his list. So I think you have to keep him until the deadline when he becomes a rental.
He played soft in the playoff and a team will pay a high price to get him as a rental?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
While it doesn’t speak to other postseason performances, he’s clearly not fully healed from his high ankle sprain. Anyone that has had a severe one knows how long it takes to get to 100%. The guy just isn’t skating like he can out there and I don’t doubt that’s the reason.

That aside, it just seems he hasn’t adapted his game to playoff hockey. He’s had some good performances in the past, but hasn’t really put this together.
Batherson is 2.5yrs removed from his (eat a donkey dong, Aaron Dell) and he mentioned in an interview recently that he is still far less mobile and dynamic in that ankle and I believe he said they don't expect it to get much better.

And it probably took him close to 2yrs to look even close to the same player as he was before (and he's still not quite back to where he was).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad