What wrong with "Mitch'in" Marner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
When you have a player like Marner, you need to give him players that will help him succeed.

Marchand-Coyle-Marner for example would be a top line that wouldn't expose Marners weaknesses. Tavares/Matthews as his centers is just not a good fit
One of the weirdest posts I’ve ever seen. Marner does just fine in the RS and to think he’d be better off with Charlie freaking Coyle as his C compared to AM or Tavares is hilarious.

Marner just sucks in the playoffs and instead of making excuses for him it’s time to admit he’s like the Sedins. He’s not built for playoff hockey.

Reactions: TimeZone

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
One of the weirdest posts I’ve ever seen. Marner does just fine in the RS and to think he’d be better off with Charlie freaking Coyle as his C compared to AM or Tavares is hilarious.

Marner just sucks in the playoffs and instead of making excuses for him it’s time to admit he’s like the Sedins. He’s not built for playoff hockey.
He doesn't have an extra gear, lots of skill in open space in the regular season where people are out for a skate but get a physical player to just guard him closely and he's cooked. This happens with every skill player without a physical side, unless they are blazing fast or the system can create space for them

When he gets chances he DOES produce. But he's a liability in the cycle and the PP coaching sucks so his talent is wasted

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
So would I
no those guys are over paid too....as Marner is.
The hysteria is hilarious I agree.
But my scouting report on Marner has not been very good for several years now.
Yes the hysteria, a bit much. At the gym on locke today. While working out the DJs on Sunday music radio were replayng the recording of Marner and "we are looked at as like Gods" line. Then they had John Lennons line of "Beatles being more popular than Jesus". Fab Four and Core Four. Gotta say, it was prerry funny.
Overpaid?

Who is this unicorn you think you're gunna get that is a sweetheart cap hit and is uncanny in the playoffs. Everyone thinks this magic will happen and player that doesn't exist in this league let alone on the UFA or trade market is the in the works.

It's just blind whinning it's embarrasing to be a part of Joe from the Bridge Nation.

Now the lie is that Marner is calling himself God? Ok, then go full Mark David Chapman but when you all sober up from this manic tantrum, you'll regret running Marner out of town.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Overpaid?

Who is this unicorn you think you're gunna get that is a sweetheart cap hit and is uncanny in the playoffs. Everyone thinks this magic will happen and player that doesn't exist in this league let alone on the UFA or trade market is the in the works.

It's just blind whinning it's embarrasing to be a part of Joe from the Bridge Nation.

Now the lie is that Marner is calling himself God? Ok, then go full Mark David Chapman but when you all sober up from this manic tantrum, you'll regret running Marner out of town.
you ask me who?? .....nobody, now.
You make the mistake that me and others are looking for ir suggesting leaf answers now . Nope.
Way too late.
This team peaked and it will get worse.
They gambled on expensive core , mediocre D, and average goaltending.
They lost.
Back to the drawing board.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
People are over complicating things. There has been plenty of players like Marner in the history of the NHL.

1. he is soft
2. he is weak
3. he doesn't care about winning, to him his win is his paycheck

No different then Yashin for example. Some guys are just there to light up the regular season and golf in the spring. In Marners case he probably plays himself in career mode in ea sports nhl so he cant finally score 100 points.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
You make the mistake that me and others are looking for ir suggesting leaf answers now . Nope.
Way too late.
They lost.
Deerrrrrr Imma gunna trade Marner for magic beans then win in the Playeeerrrffffff

deeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

How about trying to with a goaltender. Nope blame the guy that got 11 points in our only playoff series win in the cap era.

Just repeat what you here on sports radio.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Deerrrrrr Imma gunna trade Marner for magic beans then win in the Playeeerrrffffff

How about trying to with a goaltender. Nope blame the guy that got 11 points in our only playoff series win in the cap era.

strawman arguement
I am not blaming one guy
Leafs would lose with or without Marner.

Last edited:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Scared of getting physical, becomes a parameter player. Can't drive the net or go to the dirty areas. he will be someone else's problem in trying to get him to overcome those fears.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Way too late.
They lost.
Their defense and goaltending isn’t a problem. Outside of Samsonov their playoff goaltending has been more than good enough. The high paid stars, MATTHEWS, Tavares, Nylander and least of all on this list Marner go completely gutless in the playoffs.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

Which goaltender are you wanting to blame?

Andersen 25GP, .916Sv%

Campbell 14GP, .915Sv%

Woll 7GP, .933sv%

The only bad goaltender is Samsonov. The other 3 guys gave the Leafs 46 games of solid goaltending.

You don’t have to eat all the shit Shannahan throws out through the Leafs owned media to distract from the real problems on the team. Every year he blames all the failures on some coach, secondary player or goaltender that is leaving the team anyway. Lawd forbid “Me First”Matthews ever takes any blame. By the time Matthews is done with the Leafs they will have given him more money than anyone has ever made in the league and NEVER has to take ANY responsibility for their playoff failures.

Reactions: Daishi

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The Leafs aren't a soft team.

Mentally and/or psychologically, maybe they are. But physically, they really

Their best players can be thrown off their games when the physicality ramps up, though.
I'm a dyed blue in the wool Leafs fan, I also have interest in the Rags, Nux a Avs, and from what I've seen so far the Leafs couldn't handle any of them let alone the Panthers, and that is whether Matthews is dressed or just providing moral support.

Soft, yes, but harder than previous years. I see Marner playing to the effort level of his teammates, I'm sure if they upped their games, he would as well.

What is clear is the Leafs need to start over, even though I'm not sure where. However I think I know where the problem lies, but without observing the dressing room no one can be sure. Marner though is an easy target considering the many narratives and his awkwardness with the media.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Which goaltender are you wanting to blame?

Andersen 25GP, .916Sv%

Campbell 14GP, .915Sv%

Woll 7GP, .933sv%

The only bad goaltender is Samsonov. The other 3 guys gave the Leafs 46 games of solid goaltending.

You don’t have to eat all the shit Shannahan throws out through the Leafs owned media to distract from the real problems on the team. Every year he blames all the failures on some coach, secondary player or goaltender that is leaving the team anyway. Lawd forbid “Me First”Matthews ever takes any blame. By the time Matthews is done with the Leafs they will have given him more money than anyone has ever made in the league and NEVER has to take ANY responsibility for their playoff failures.
It tight low scoring series with elite defensive teams playing low event hockey the God awful goaltending put up good numbers on paper.

You omit the part where the other goaltender had better numbers.

'You don't have to eat te shit Shannahan throws out'

Lol, you people = popcorn, you cry and cry and cry cry (y'all cry a lot) about 'Shanny never addresses the media' but then I'm swallowing all of Shanny's bs?

When do you people ever start naming names of who to bring in to fix the problem? On ice names? Nope, it's fairy tales and unicorns that evil Mitch's cap hit is keeping away from us and who is this team president that is going to fix everything?

Short bus analysis, waste your summer bitching about Shanny, he's not going anywhere so trust the plan and like it because thankfully professionals ignore what you have to say.

strawman arguement
I am not blaming one guy
Leafs would lose with or without Marner.
Cool you don't want to trade Mitch.

Thanks for agreeing with me. I thought you were one of those delusional fans.

'Well never win :(' start and emo band already, can we get a drop of testosterone in Leafs Nation or to we lay down on the floor and shut down.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It tight low scoring series with elite defensive teams playing low event hockey the God awful goaltending put up good numbers on paper.

Lol, you people = popcorn, you cry and cry and cry cry (y'all cry a lot) about 'Shanny never addresses the media' but then I'm swallowing all of Shanny's bs?

When do you people ever start naming names of who to bring in to fix the problem? On ice names? Nope, it's fairy tales and unicorns that evil Mitch's cap hit is keeping away from us and who is this team president that is going to fix everything?

Short bus analysis, waste your summer bitching about Shanny, he's not going anywhere so trust the plan and like it because thankfully professionals ignore what you have to say.

'Well never win :(' start and emo band already, can we get a drop of testosterone in Leafs Nation or to we lay down on the floor and shut down.
No. just keep being the leafs.
the comic relief for the rest of the keague and its fans is priceless.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

Who "you people" , I never said anything about Shannahan not addressing the media. You killed that straw man! Congrats!

Again, you just make excuses for offensive stars with inexcusable contracts. There is always someone else to blame. "Ohhh poor little matthews and Co. got goalied" No, he/they choked like he has always done to good or bad goaltenders. I don't hear any Vegas fans crying about the unbeatable Bob. It's just another sad excuse for a choker who gets all the money and none of the responsibility.

But yeah let's blame the goaltender for not putting up better than a .916sv%. Make sure they are leaving the team first before putting all the blame on them so Shannahan can pretend he fixed the problem.

You can't win scoring 2 or less goals. If the Leafs can't score then the #1 people you should blame are the so called offensive stars making 8 figures. Top of that list is the highest paid and so called generational scorer.

Be as happy as you want with Shannahan. I'm not here to tell you how to have fun. I'm just telling you he is either a liar or is incompetent. Every year he tells you what to think and you eat it up. It's crazy it still works. Every year he puts all the blame on anyone but the guys he pays the money to carry the team. Some poor schmuck leaving the organization anyway. Then just rearrange the deck chairs and do it all again next year.

The Leafs go nowhere until that handful of guys making more than half the salary cap takes them there. That's where the buck stops. Not the defense that has been pretty good or the $3m goaltender that has been far more than just adequate, not a 2nd line centre, not the bottom 6 or any other sad excuse Shannahan puts out for the suckers. It's the guys the Leafs feel are worth 8 digits.

Last edited:

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Marner reminds me of a higher end Raymond but soft like melted butter. Just sucks he is a local boy. If he wasn't he would of been gone already.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yup. I've said many times ( and on here this morning) Leaf management are THE chokers.
GET A FREAKING GOALIE.......when you don't have one and the other team does Guess what....that's not cheating .
Imagine watching those games and thinking goaltending was the issue and not the offence that was non existent, or a 4% powerplay.

Leafs problem for years has been the offence going MIA in the playoffs. They need guys that can make things happen under pressure and when games get physical.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Marner is mentally weak.

He needs the refs to enforce the regular season rule set. When it shifts to a more physical game in the playoffs he wilts psychologically, looks outward to external elements (the refs) for a solution instead of looking within to rise above.

Every playoff warrior digs down deep to find a way to succeed and teams that win rise above the sum of their parts.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Imagine watching those games and thinking goaltending was the issue and not the offence that was non existent, or a 4% powerplay.

Leafs problem for years has been the offence going MIA in the playoffs. They need guys that can make things happen under pressure and when games get physical.
Yep.
Like the opposing players have done in big moments every time the Leafs have lost an elimination game.

Boo hoo my team didn't win.
Cheer up. You'll get over it.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Marner is mentally weak.

He needs the refs to enforce the regular season rule set. When it shifts to a more physical game in the playoffs he wilts psychologically, looks outward to external elements (the refs) for a solution instead of looking within to rise above.

Every playoff warrior digs down deep to find a way to succeed and teams that win rise above the sum of their parts.
Your post reminded me of this clip. I do think players get into Marner's head.

• Haha
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Would you rather have two Zach Hyman's, or one Mitch Marner? One John Tavares, or Devon Toews and Jacob Slavin? That's the Leaf's problem, in a nutshell.

It's not a Mitch Marner problem, but a flawed roster put together by a child. MM had a poor playoff, but last year he had a good one, and is almost a P/pg in the playoffs overall. It's not his fault that some idiot offered him 11M a year before he had accomplished anything of note in the NHL.

The big joke is that after he was fired, Dubas was re-hired by the Pens, and continued in his lunacy by acquiring yet another 11M player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad