Speculation: What would've happened if Steve Moore made a comeback?

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
I saw it in a comment on the main boards, so I was reading about the controversy and those emails between Colin Campbell and Stephen Walkom in 2010. The author mentioned he frequented "CanLII for interesting cases involving the NHL". I was bored so checked out the site and searched for Colorado Avalanche. It was all mostly Bertuzzi/Moore stuff with a few divorce settlements.

I read through a bit of the Bertuzzi case and noticed that on top of his community service sentence, he also received this:

[59] You will not play in any hockey game or any other sporting activity, professional or otherwise, in which Steve Moore is a participant.

Which isn't all that surprising, but I didn't know about it. So my question is, what would have happened if Steve Moore made a comeback?

Would Bertuzzi have been forced to sit those games out? If so, would he be suspended or just a healthy scratch? I believe being suspended could end up affecting his salary.

And the term "participant" is fairly vague. What if the Avs hired Moore in a non-player position? Does that count? Or if they wanted to go for the complete ******* move and hired Moore in a useless position for the sole purpose of stopping Bertuzzi from playing. I'm curious what the league would do about that, even though it's pretty far-fetched. :laugh:

Has there been any other cases where a player was banned from participating in games with another, and later ended up in a situation where they were in the same game?

Note: Don't turn this into a debate about the incident, the injury, or Bertuzzi-bashing. :deadhorse

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm guessing Bertuzzi just would have been scratched for those games. This could have been a huge controversy if the Avs met the Nucks in the playoffs.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
I'm guessing Bertuzzi just would have been scratched for those games. This could have been a huge controversy if the Avs met the Nucks in the playoffs.

I'm guessing this. The league would be under no obligation to enforce the court ruling. It'd be up to Bertuzzi and his organization to decide if they wanted him going to jail or not.

As for the other part, Moore would probably have to play, but if someone in the courts really disliked Bertuzzi...

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
I'm guessing this. The league would be under no obligation to enforce the court ruling. It'd be up to Bertuzzi and his organization to decide if they wanted him going to jail or not.

As for the other part, Moore would probably have to play, but if someone in the courts really disliked Bertuzzi...

Makes sense.

You're right in saying the league wouldn't have that obligation, but I think they'd still be involved in some way. Or at least the NHLPA.

But I guess it can also be said that his punishment was that severe only because chances of Moore playing again were slim. Oh well, unless some player gets a restraining order on someone else I doubt we'll ever see a situation like this.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I mean, we can sign him to a 1-game contract next time we pla the Wings and find out?

Put him on a line so he won't have to do much.

I would imagine he would just be scratched. Not sure there is much the league can do to enforce it. It would probably be up to the team and Bertuzzi, like someone above said.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm fairly certain Moore is unable to skate. If I remember right his lingering symptoms are akin to the worst concussion imaginable.

As for this, is the Bertuzzi ban on playing with him a court order? I've never heard of anything like that affecting a sport before.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm fairly certain Moore is unable to skate. If I remember right his lingering symptoms are akin to the worst concussion imaginable.

As for this, is the Bertuzzi ban on playing with him a court order? I've never heard of anything like that affecting a sport before.

I think Bob Probert was banned from Canada for a while with the Red Wings. Don't think he was allowed to travel with Detroit to games across the border while waiting for his appeal to go through. That stemmed from drug charges though...

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

While that is true, if something were to happen again with Bertuzzi and Moore then the league would have had a serious PR issue on their hands.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
If Moore had come back not long after the incident, chances are all of the following that took place wouldn't have even happened. It wouldn't have gotten that far if Moore was able to continue his career, so it really doesn't matter.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Interesting, but ultimately as sad and as regrettable as what it turned out to be. Moore may have topped out as a third line energy/utility guy for the Avs/random team, but we will never know. Thus the regret. I'd say his Ivy League degree is golden, but take a look at hockey guys who graduated from those colleges and tell me they have a future in academics.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Interesting, but ultimately as sad and as regrettable as what it turned out to be. Moore may have topped out as a third line energy/utility guy for the Avs/random team, but we will never know. Thus the regret. I'd say his Ivy League degree is golden, but take a look at hockey guys who graduated from those colleges and tell me they have a future in academics.

George Parros will be one intimidating Fed Chairman one day. He'll tell the markets what to do and may god have mercy on their souls if they don't follow his orders. Ben Bernanke's beard has nothing on the stache.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

He still put up decent numbers in the time he played for us before he got punched. Even if hockey players and good degrees isn't necessarily a guarantee for a good job it's still good and something Moore hasn't been able to use since he got hit.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone involved in this wants it to be done and for justice to be done. What that ultimately is, who knows. I'd say though that since Bertuzzi played again that the opportunity for justice is long gone by this point.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
He still put up decent numbers in the time he played for us before he got punched. Even if hockey players and good degrees isn't necessarily a guarantee for a good job it's still good and something Moore hasn't been able to use since he got hit.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone involved in this wants it to be done and for justice to be done. What that ultimately is, who knows. I'd say though that since Bertuzzi played again that the opportunity for justice is long gone by this point.

We are agreed.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
George Parros will be one intimidating Fed Chairman one day. He'll tell the markets what to do and may god have mercy on their souls if they don't follow his orders. Ben Bernanke's beard has nothing on the stache.

How'd I miss this? Summers vs Parros is my new thing, at least until the whiskey hits and I find myself on a Bee Gees binge that I'll never admit to.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
I think Bob Probert was banned from Canada for a while with the Red Wings. Don't think he was allowed to travel with Detroit to games across the border while waiting for his appeal to go through. That stemmed from drug charges though...

But wasn't Probert Canadian?

Ok according to wikipedia he was going to be deported back to Canada, he started an appeal, and in the meantime couldn't go to Canada because then he wouldn't be allowed back in the US.

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.

As of today if his heart beat goes over 100 bpm he'll get nauseous. And if he tries to watch TV or read a book and overconcentrate aka try and follow the plot he'll get dizzy. And this is almost 10 years later.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I saw it in a comment on the main boards, so I was reading about the controversy and those emails between Colin Campbell and Stephen Walkom in 2010. The author mentioned he frequented "CanLII for interesting cases involving the NHL". I was bored so checked out the site and searched for Colorado Avalanche. It was all mostly Bertuzzi/Moore stuff with a few divorce settlements.

I read through a bit of the Bertuzzi case and noticed that on top of his community service sentence, he also received this:

You will not play in any hockey game or any other sporting activity, professional or otherwise, in which Steve Moore is a participant.

1. If Moore was hired by the Avs in a non-hockey roll, it would not affect Todd Bertuzzi one bit.

why? playing/participating vs. sitting/scouting are two MAJOR distinctions in one another.

2. If the judge meant to mean Bertuzzi is not allowed to play hockey with Moore on another team as player/scout, any lawyer would fight that the judge did not word his sentencing correctly, in which this case, Bertuzzi would not be allowed to play a game, if in fact, Moore was playing. Avs could however, suit up Moore and dress him as a 13th forward, but come on, thats getting ridiculous. Bertuzzi and Red Wings camp would fight that all day/everyday...

3. Moore isnt coming back, but good point. Never thought about it the way you put it, but if it were to happen, it could only happen if Moore had a sweater on.

4. If the judge did want to be a huge roach about it, he would have stated Bert cant play if Moore is part of a club, player/coach/scout, and in this instance the Judge messed up and used the words, "playing/participant" vs. "part of a team in any capacity."

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
How'd I miss this? Summers vs Parros is my new thing, at least until the whiskey hits and I find myself on a Bee Gees binge that I'll never admit to.

I don't even know how to respond other than to say I snorted and caught myself before I put the coffee back out on the laptop.

This match would have to be a TKO as Summers withdrew from consideration before throwing a punch and I find it hard to believe Parros would go down again without drawing blood.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
1. If Moore was hired by the Avs in a non-hockey roll, it would not affect Todd Bertuzzi one bit.

why? playing/participating vs. sitting/scouting are two MAJOR distinctions in one another.

2. If the judge meant to mean Bertuzzi is not allowed to play hockey with Moore on another team as player/scout, any lawyer would fight that the judge did not word his sentencing correctly, in which this case, Bertuzzi would not be allowed to play a game, if in fact, Moore was playing. Avs could however, suit up Moore and dress him as a 13th forward, but come on, thats getting ridiculous. Bertuzzi and Red Wings camp would fight that all day/everyday...

3. Moore isnt coming back, but good point. Never thought about it the way you put it, but if it were to happen, it could only happen if Moore had a sweater on.

4. If the judge did want to be a huge roach about it, he would have stated Bert cant play if Moore is part of a club, player/coach/scout, and in this instance the Judge messed up and used the words, "playing/participant" vs. "part of a team in any capacity."

Some more good points. Suppose Moore was miraculously a coach/assistant coach/trainer. Someone who was present on the bench? That's significantly more involved than scouting, but still non-player.

I'm aware Moore isn't coming back, and I'm not suggesting that that the Avs should've considered him as a method of stopping Bertuzzi from playing. This is all purely a "what if?" situation.

Yeah we need to stay our tongues about such a misunderstood figure.

Glad we're in agreement.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad