What would your interest level be if fighting was completely banned from the NHL?

Answer the question!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
When I was younger I used to love it.
I can look back to the 80's and the old Chuck Norris Division and the nightly wars they'd have.
But somewhere along the line it got to the point of stupidity. Whether my age of the salary cap making fighters superfluous, I just don't get into it any more.
So nothing would change for me.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
In all honesty, from an entertainment perspective, very few NHL fights do it for me. It usually just 1 or 2 punches and then a wrestling match to the ice. It’s like how in school two kids would agree to fight but the fight is just a shouting match between the two :/

Reactions: banks

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
In all honesty, from an entertainment perspective, very few NHL fights do it for me. It usually just 1 or 2 punches and then a wrestling match to the ice. It’s like how in school two kids would agree to fight but the fight is just a shouting match between the two :/
Honestly the most entertaining fights are usually those when a couple of small non fighters go at it, without having a clue what they're doing. In the heat of the moment, they can be entertaining.

But when so called tough guys like Maroon and Oleksiak drop the gloves to 'spark their team' it's just a waste of time.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019

This is a pretty good point.

Most fights just make me cringe because both guys are swinging bare fists against the other guys helmet and visor. It's not entertaining, it's just watching someone hurt their hand.

If you're going to allow them to fight, they should drop the helmet with the gloves. But the rulebook (rule 46.6) says a player can't remove their helmet before a fight. That rule killed fighting for me.

Reactions: JD27

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
The title says it all!

It does not impact how much hockey I watch, but it would piss me off. You put in rules to improve the game. Does banning fighting improve the game? Nope, there is no evidence that this is true. However, it could increase cheap shots. Not sure, but some players that are "hard to play against" would be emboldened I suspect.

So I ask why. Why ban fighting? If it is for player safety, they are much safer taking on other professions like teaching, IT, and finance, so for safety purposes, just ban sports.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I enjoy a good hockey fight as a way to police the game. But stage fighting. i don't agree with.
When you are battling it out in the corners, going hard and next thing you know gloves are dropped and you are going at it. I love it.
When you just look at each other and say hey want to go and the other guy is like "why not" and you fight just becasue that's all you can pretty much do, I don't really like that. If I wanted to watch boxing I would watch boxing. With what is happening to enforcers with mental issues, I really think the NHL should take a stance on it.

Reactions: Ben White

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I love the fights. A unique aspect of the sport. Makes it better than all other team sports.

I might be done completely, but honestly I'd probably tune in for the playoffs especially if the Hawks made a deep run. But banning fighting would just make the game so lame. It'd be like basketball or football. Damn. Why not just watch one of those sports instead? We already have so many sports without fighting. Can't we just have this one?

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I love hockey, fights or not, but in a game with massive high speed collisions I can't justify thinking fighting is any less dangerous. If you're into the game and still have your manhood intact, you'll likely want to drop the gloves at some point. It's been in the game forever and shouldn't go away on at the crybabies' whim.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Second option.

There are barely any fights now anyways, so banning the rare ones doesn't move the needle for me.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Wouldn't bother with it come playoff time. Fighting its part of the sport whether people like it or not.
Fighting is not even that common in the postseason:

YEARGAMES PLAYEDTOTAL FIGHTSFIGHTS PER GAMES PLAYED
2012​
172​
19​
0.110​
2013​
172​
15​
0.087​
2017​
174​
13​
0.075​
2020​
184​
11​
0.060​
2016​
182​
9​
0.049​
2014​
186​
9​
0.048​
2018​
168​
8​
0.048​
2015​
178​
8​
0.045​
2019​
174​
3​
0.017​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Peat

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
We're at a perfect level right now, I don't think they have to change a thing. Wasting a roster spot on enforcers is no longer a thing, fights are typically the product of frustration/emotion and that's fine. 5 minutes is a good enough punishment for it.

That said banning it wouldn't change my watching habits at all

Reactions: Peat

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Wouldn't bother with it come playoff time. Fighting its part of the sport whether people like it or not.

such a thoughtless argument. As if things don’t change.

as another user showed, fights barely even happen in the playoffs anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad