Tribute What would your all time Penguins team look like?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I went by way of having everyone in the top six that should be.

Lemieux, Crosby, Jagr
Stevens, Francis, Malkin
Mullen, Staal, Recchi
Kunitz, Trottier, Tocchett
Keho

Coffey, Murphy
Orpik, Gonchar
Carlisle, Letang
Ulf

No particular order - Fleury/Barrasso/Murray

You can carry 3 goaltenders so why make big stinks when all 3 are worthy.
any defence with out dave burrows doesn't cut it . imo the other team wouldn't even try to bring it down his side of the ice. if we are talking "defence" he was the best i ever seen.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Stevens, Lemieux, Tocchet
Recchi, Crosby, Jagr
Luc Robitalle, Malkin, Kovalev
Pronovost, Francis, Mullen
Kehoe, Larouche

Coffey, Letang
Gonchar, Carlyle
Ulf, Murphy
Zubov

Fleury
Barrasso

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
any defence with out dave burrows doesn't cut it . imo the other team wouldn't even try to bring it down his side of the ice. if we are talking "defence" he was the best i ever seen.

While I have no problem with him on lists, he was part of the eras that didn't produce, and the only reason I have Carlyle is the fact he had a Norris. Just too many past these guys did more to earn championships with so few spots to give. But at least they had years of term with the Pens and another reason I wouldn't fight against them on lists, just not mine.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Penguins are a cup team so I'll build my all-time-team for one that competes in the playoffs.

Lemieux - Crosby - Recchi
Stevens - Malkin - Jagr
Guentzel - Bonino - Kessel
Cooke - Staal - Hossa
Francis

Coffey - Letang
Gonchar - Carlyle
Samuelsson - Scuderi
Orpik

Murray
Fleury

Every line is pretty balanced with speed, skill, grit, and defensive minded players. I really wanted to put Iginla in there, but that wouldn't be fair since his prime wasn't here.

Last edited:
Reactions: EpiPen

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I went by way of having everyone in the top six that should be.

Lemieux, Crosby, Jagr
Stevens, Francis, Malkin
Mullen, Staal, Recchi
Kunitz, Trottier, Tocchett
Keho

Coffey, Murphy
Orpik, Gonchar
Carlyle, Letang
Ulf

No particular order - Fleury/Barrasso/Murray

You can carry 3 goaltenders so why make big stinks when all 3 are worthy.
Somewhat close to what I would pick as well. Good choices mate.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
My Thoughts on Forwards
  • Let's assume we have Lemieux, Crosby, Malkin, Francis fixed at Center.
  • There are only 8 winger spots.
  • I think Straka, Kovalev, Kunitz, Guentzel, Staal (wing), and Kessel all deserve some consideration.
  • Jagr, Stevens, Mullen, Recchi, and Tocchet are also in the mix.
  • Straka - Lang - Kovalev is tempting.
  • Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel is slightly tempting.
  • For wingers who played here for a short time, and have big names, but I don't think should be included: Iginla, Robitaille, Naslund, Nedved, Hossa, Marleau.
  • Veterans who played here and made a playoff impact, who I think you could make a case for: Trottier, Roberts, Guerin, Cullen.

• I would invite Caufield, Errey, Bourque, Armstrong, Talbot, Dupuis, Rust, and Morozov to camp just because.

• I definitely have a 90s/00s/10s bias.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
My Thoughts on Forwards
  • Let's assume we have Lemieux, Crosby, Malkin, Francis fixed at Center.
  • There are only 8 winger spots.
  • I think Straka, Kovalev, Kunitz, Guentzel, Staal (wing), and Kessel all deserve some consideration.
  • Jagr, Stevens, Mullen, Recchi, and Tocchet are also in the mix.
  • Straka - Lang - Kovalev is tempting.
  • Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel is slightly tempting.
  • For wingers who played here for a short time, and have big names, but I don't think should be included: Iginla, Robitaille, Naslund, Nedved, Hossa, Marleau.
  • Veterans who played here and made a playoff impact, who I think you could make a case for: Trottier, Roberts, Guerin, Cullen.

• I would invite Caufield, Errey, Bourque, Armstrong, Talbot, Dupuis, Rust, and Morozov to camp just because.

• I definitely have a 90s/00s/10s bias.

I'd say your 5 wingers starting with Jagr are a lock, which leaves three spots. I'd fill them with Kovy and Kessel first, and then I'd put Kehoe (followed closely by Pronovost) for the last spot. I love Guentzel and think he'll be there in a couple years (watching him gel seamlessly this year with 87 and/or 71 was just a joy; dude is so good). I can't put Hossa in there. Man, I wish he'd stayed, but he chose to go off with the Evil Empire after a relatively few games, so he's just an asterisk.

On D, I'd have Coffey, Letang, Gonch, Murphy and then, after a big drop off, take your pick - Kaspar (one of my fave Pens), Dumo, Burrows (if you're going to put Scuderi in, you might as well put Burrows in, who was just a better version of Scuderi), Ulfie, Carlyle (I always thought he was overrated, but he had one good year and the media was tired of voting for Larry Robinson or Denis Potvin every year). I'd go with Dumo and Kaspar as my third pair.

I'd have Trottier and Roberts eating nachos just in case.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
Tocchet and Zubov are big misses. I have been doing this to a lot of teams as my neighbor names one lol. Penguins are weak on RD and LW is what I'd say...but amazing at C

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Penguins are a cup team so I'll build my all-time-team for one that competes in the playoffs.

Lemieux - Crosby - Recchi
Stevens - Malkin - Jagr
Guentzel - Bonino - Kessel
Cooke - Staal - Hossa
Mullen

Coffey - Letang
Gonchar - Carlyle
Samuelsson - Scuderi
Orpik

Murray
Fleury

Every line is pretty balanced with speed, skill, grit, and defensive minded players. I really wanted to put Iginla in there, but that wouldn't be fair since his prime wasn't here.
I'd pay top dollar to see your L1 (healthy/prime) play. But isn't it impossible to omit Ronnie Francis? Good to see Gonch, he was money in the playoffs.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Tocchet - Crosby - Lemieux
Robitalle - Francis - Jagr
Stevens - Malkin - Hossa
Recchi - J. Cullen - Iginla

Coffey - Zubov
Gonchar - Letang
Carlyle Murphy

Fleury
Barrasso

Reactions: Khelandros

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
As far as moving Mario to wing, I just think that's absurd! He's arguably the best player to ever play and at the time he moved to wing he was not exactly in his prime. Still tremendous, but I want him at center. Lemieux, Sid, Geno, and Francis, you just can't go wrong there. lol

We have enough quality wings where by our centers wouldn't get short changed. And yes you can't leave Kovalev or Hossa out.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
EDM could counter with Gretzky, Messier, McDazzle and Draisaitl

That would be epic!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
As far as moving Mario to wing, I just think that's absurd! He's arguably the best player to ever play and at the time he moved to wing he was not exactly in his prime. Still tremendous, but I want him at center. Lemieux, Sid, Geno, and Francis, you just can't go wrong there. lol

We have enough quality wings where by our centers wouldn't get short changed. And yes you can't leave Kovalev or Hossa out.

Kovalev is my favorite Penguin of all time, but if we are talking “peak career as a Penguin” he just wasn’t more than a sum of parts here. If you’re putting up “best individual players of all time with the Penguin” he’s in my top five wingers. If the goal is to build a team that encompasses peak Penguin performances Kovalev ain’t part of it.

Lemieux would be a center if you aren’t going up against Sid and Francis who are 200 ft players. The Lemieux - Francis - Jagr line was lights out too in the one year we got it.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
I think this discussion would be definitely be more interesting if you stipulated no crossovers with other teams. One team per player. In other words, you could only choose guys who were at their best and are most associated with the Pens. So you wouldn't have, say, Coffey or Trottier, because they would rightly belong to Edmonton and NYI.

I think that definitely makes for more compelling rosters. It could open up some interesting debates on where guys should land too.

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think this discussion would be definitely be more interesting if you stipulated no crossovers with other teams. One team per player. In other words, you could only choose guys who were at their best and are most associated with the Pens. So you wouldn't have, say, Coffey or Trottier, because they would rightly belong to Edmonton and NYI.

I think that definitely makes for more compelling rosters. It could open up some interesting debates on where guys should land too.

I’m not sure Coffey belongs to Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad