What would you say were Lou's best moves as the Leafs GM?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
They've pretty much been covered in this thread (Andersen, Rielly, Kadri, Brown, Hyman, and I'm not even down about the Zaitsev contract at this point), but I'm also good with what he didn't do - no trading of players we can't afford to part with, no long-term/35+ contracts to oft-injured players, no trading of an unknown 1st when we weren't coming off a playoff season.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Likely will never know, but perhaps the trades he didn't make.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Good

Kadri
Rielly
Marleau
Hainsey
Andersen
Pleks

Bad

Polak
Moore
Boyle
Martin

Kinda bad not moving...

JVR
Bozak
Komarov

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Best: Andersen trade.

Worst: Dion trade. We got Ottawa's trash in exchange for a top 4 D. Yes I know that OTT has struggled with the remainder of Dion's contract and losing Methot to expansion, but no one expected OTT to fall so hard from this.
In the end we are still looking for Dion's replacement in the top 4.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The trade returns he got on Polak and Spaling.

Trading away Kessel.

Making Phaneuf's contract disappear.

Andersen

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Dion trade for sure is the best Lou move ever. Im having nightmares just thinking about that f***ing albatross contract.
Naz and Mo contracts are beautiful. In fact Kadri has the best contract in the League.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
Best: Andersen trade.

Worst: Dion trade. We got Ottawa's trash in exchange for a top 4 D. Yes I know that OTT has struggled with the remainder of Dion's contract and losing Methot to expansion, but no one expected OTT to fall so hard from this.
In the end we are still looking for Dion's replacement in the top 4.

Um.. did you see what Ottawa got when they traded him to LA.. AND they had to retain

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
The Dion trade needed to be done but we are in round 2 if we still have I'm.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I wish people would stop including the not trading of leo Bozak and jvr. That was never ever ever gunna happen. Every year guys reach FA, that’s how it works. Not every expiring deal needs to be moved, this is not EA NHL 18.
Good Lou: Kadri/Rielly Hyman/Brown extensions, Polak for 2x 2nds which became Boyle last year and pleks this year. Unloading Phaneuf
Bad Lou: Not leveraging ourselves a better expansion draft than what happened. I feel we could of been more involved then just hanging over Leipsic

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Good:

The Phaneuf trade is #1. Getting rid of that without retention and for short-term pain was good. Got a pick out of it too.

Rielly and Kadri signings were top notch from the moment they were signed.

Polak and Spaling for 2x2nd round picks.

Bad:

Martin signing and the Zaitsev extension.

we need to wait until zaitsev plays more than 1 of his 7 years before coming to the conclusion it was a bad signing

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The Phaneuf trade without having to eat money was a brilliant move

The Rielly and Kadri deals were also a very nice piece of business

The Polak trade was pretty sweet as well

Andersen was pretty solid business, it's certainly stabilized the net for the foreseeable future

He also gave a pretty unprofessional organization some much needed leadership and discipline

You can strongly critic our TDL strategy the last two years and our lack of action on the pending UFA'S last offseason as well as Martin and Zaitsev (I'm hoping for a bounce back from him)

More good than bad all in all

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I wish people would stop including the not trading of leo Bozak and jvr. That was never ever ever gunna happen. Every year guys reach FA, that’s how it works. Not every expiring deal needs to be moved, this is not EA NHL 18.
Good Lou: Kadri/Rielly Hyman/Brown extensions, Polak for 2x 2nds which became Boyle last year and pleks this year. Unloading Phaneuf
Bad Lou: Not leveraging ourselves a better expansion draft than what happened. I feel we could of been more involved then just hanging over Leipsic

Sorry but asset management is a major part of the business and doesn't go away because you want to ignore it.
In the salary Cap era, new younger, faster NHL, you will live and die by some decisions.
Not all UFAs are created equal. Bozak/Komarov/Polak/Moore/Hainsey do not equal JVR or Gardiner. Letting some UFAs go is fine, a 30 + goal scorer walk is never a good idea. Ask Florida how they like letting Marchessault go for free. Now compare that to us letting Leipsic go. Big difference. Are you happy if we just let Gardiner walk? If Kadri was a UFA would you let him walk too? It's bad. It's done, but it's bad. The 2nd for Plek was not good either. Back to back 2nd round picks and you still haven't addressed an issue. That's bad as well.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The new GM really has some holes to fill if they want to take the next step
The new GM needs to be good at structuring long term contracts for Matthews, Nylander, Marner.
He needs to be good at signing reasonable deals for support players.
Needs to be good a signing UFAs. Not to long, not too much.
Needs to address the Gardiner UFA situation.
Needs to be able to make decisions on the draft floor if presented with options.
Needs to address the 3C/4C.
Needs to address the Nylander is center or not with Babcock.
Needs to be adept at making trades to bring in guys that support the core in a more playoff style of hockey.
Needs to make deals to address weaknesses in the organization: Center depth is terrible. RHD as well.

There is a lot of work to be done.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Phaneuf trade.

Moving Phaneuf.

Contracts are good, but that was just money and hasn't changed the team, just didn't overpay for good players.

Andersen is a good goalie, you expect any competent GM to acquire a good goalie. Look around the league and you can see other GM's acquired good goalies.

As far as culture of winning ... don't see one yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad