What would you prefer: Top 4 Dman or Top 6 LW?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well things are grim in terms of playoffs but it's the way she goes

Just curious as to how people feel about this

Let's say Murray has two offers that make sense money and roster wise

One is for a top 4 dman and the other is for a top 6 LW

Which one do you take?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
When the team is fully healthy and committed to dressing the best 18 skaters we have:

Michalek-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibby-Ryan
MacArthur-Pageau-Lazar
Puempel-Legwand-Condra

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Ceci
Borowiecki-Gryba

Shouldn't be too difficult to see what needs improving.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Definitely a top 4D.

We have a couple kids in Bingo in Prince and Puempel who can definitely step in and give us a few more goals if need be, so that effectively solves the LW quandary....as long as we're patient with them and allow them to make mistakes and grow.

Defense...that is the big question mark. We do have a couple guys in Bingo, but our D core is already so young and inexperienced as it is, we simply can't afford to put another blueliner in diapers on the ice right now. We need some solid experience back there to stabilize the entire team.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
We have six forwards who can all realistically score 20 goals, we have three and a half defenseman who can realistically play tough minutes (Wiercioch is the half)

Defense wins championships.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Top 4 D. By that I mean one who can defend but can also help with the offense. This is a major lack with the Sens this year. Cowen, Ceci and Wiercioch have not developed enough to contribute to the offense consistently. I'm not sure if those guys have enough in them to grow into the role. Maybe Ceci and possibly Wier but those are just hopeful potential. The Sens need a proven player as early as next fall.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Methot-Karlsson
XXX-Ceci
Cowen-Boro/Gryba/Weircioch

We really need stability for Ceci, and someone who can play a big role on the second unit of PP. Bryan Campbell-like.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
We need both, and someone in top of that. Phillips can be 7D for a season. And we need player like Neil. Smith, Legwand, Boro, Wier, Cowen, Gryba are all just for fill a spot. You dont go to long run with them. All need to be replaced in summer. Then we have a team.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Uh, what?

I presume what he's saying is that we have the luxury of being able to play a #3 on our first pair because Methot and Karlsson make magic together. What we need is a legit #2 that would carry/elevate their partner on a second pair.

Again, presuming, but I think it's a safe bet. Also a good call.

Right now I see this team as having:

1 legit #1 in Karlsson
2 second pair guys in Methot and Ceci (although Ceci needs to become more consistent)
The rest are bottom pair until they develop and become more consistent.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
This shouldn't even be a question....defenseman without a doubt. Team would be so much better having another experienced and capable defender in the top 4.

LW isn't even a problem. There's Hoffman, Michalek, MacArthur, Puempel, Prince, and Condra has been playing there very effectively as well. How many teams have that depth?

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
top 4 D without any question. Surprisingly enough I don't find offence is our problem. We seem to score enough despite having a lot of young guys among our forwards.

We're defensively atrocious at times and have been for the past couple of seasons

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Top 4 d man.
I don't see debate for top 6 LW. Unless you are totally positive that wikstrand or cowen develop into top 4 dmen. Now.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I presume what he's saying is that we have the luxury of being able to play a #3 on our first pair because Methot and Karlsson make magic together. What we need is a legit #2 that would carry/elevate their partner on a second pair.

Again, presuming, but I think it's a safe bet. Also a good call.

Right now I see this team as having:

1 legit #1 in Karlsson
2 second pair guys in Methot and Ceci (although Ceci needs to become more consistent)
The rest are bottom pair until they develop and become more consistent.

Very much agree.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Doesn't matter as long as we can unload a couple of bad contracts in the process.

It matters, but to afford a proven top 4LHD, BM will likely have to unload bad contracts. So on this we agree.

IMO Legwand, Greening, one of MacArthur or Michalek and one of Wiercoich or Cowen have to be moved this summer to make an acquisition affordable.

Of course BM has to deal with long time Sens Phillips and Neil.

IMO both should be moved if they aren't prepared to have anything more than a support role as non-regulars. I am kind of hoping CP decides to retire to run his business interests.

Other assets that might be available are Hoffman and Smith.

This will largely depend on how management feels about Robinson, Schneider and Prince, as well as where they believe Lazar will have the most success.

While I am a big supporter of Hoffman, he may just be an extremely valuable asset to package in a potential trade for the D-man the team needs.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Top 4 D. Easy answer. Bump PW down to the bottom pairing and that would give us 3 pairs with puck movement.

BigBush*

Neither!

We desperately need a top 2 defenseman

Sure. A top 2 Dman to play with Ceci. A guy who's good at both ends of the rink, like a Markov or am Edler.

I don't think we will get one next year (unless it's at the trade deadline). My guess is the team trades Cowen in the off season and rolls with Wiercoch in that position.

I'd also like an upgrade on Gryba at some point, although it's not the most pressing need.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: