What Would You Do With This Team Over the Offseason?

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
He'll get the nine game stint.
Ya, I could see that.

However, to just blindly pencil him in as an everyday impactful 3rd liner is a pipe dream.

Look at Knies as an example and then compare their build and size.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Ya, I could see that.

However, to just blindly pencil him in as an everyday impactful 3rd liner is a pipe dream.

Look at Knies as an example and then compare their build and size.
He might fall into the "too good for the O, too young for the A, not good enough for the NHL".

Reactions: Budz

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Seem the team plays better when he’s not in the lineup 37wins 20 losses with him out so i think he’s better being traded
37 wins in 57 games works out to a 106 point pace, which is their average over the last six seasons.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
You have to have to have to treat the next 4 years as your best chance to win. They MIGHT win after Matthews is gone but they're much more likely too while he's here. He's only guaranteed to be here and playing prime hockey for this next contract.

This coaching hire is critical for our franchise. As was the last one... botched as it ended up being it was critical.

I think Reilly should be the #2D to go far and you probably want a proven vet goalie on a year or two to give Woll the opportunity to be the guy with a tandem partner who could also carry us if that works out better.

Seems like I'm not saying much to say you need to hit on a 1D, a Coach and a 1A/B goalie to win it from here but I think our current team is lacking 3 of 3 and needs at least 2 of 3 to get there.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You cut out the majority of the quote, that was much less open to interpretation, and then claimed that the small remaining snippet was open to interpretation, so you'd default to crediting the individual that everything suggests had nothing to do with the pick.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Chris Pronger just said it on overdrive. The problem with the Leafs is spending half your cap on 4 forwards. I think Chris is a pretty smart guy, probably smarter than all of us.
He is now talking about after next year when the have 2 11 million dollar forwards fall of the roster and names Tavares and Marner as the two they will be able to turn things around
Most people have been saying the same thing since the day the apprentice uttered “We can and we will”.

Reactions: myleafs

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We do have enough talent, they just don't show up in the playoffs.

Hyman outscored our core 4 with 7 goals to their 6 meanwhile we paid 46 million to his 5.5.

They need to move on from Tavares and Marner ASAP as they are the most movable if they actually have the balls to demand they waive their NTC or go totally nuclear with them.
Do they really have enough talent? For some, maybe their skills don’t translate to the playoff style.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
I would definitely fire the coaching staff and run it back again with this same core.
It was obviously the last 3 coaches and their staffs that was telling the core to play like cupcakes for the last 8 years. Just need a new voice to turn this around. Bring on a tough coach like Berube!
I don't see the core having any issues with a coach like that. I'm sure they will all embrace it.
I don't see any issues with this plan. Go Leafs!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I would definitely fire the coaching staff and run it back again with this same core.
It was obviously the last 3 coaches and their staffs that was telling the core to play like cupcakes for the last 8 years. Just need a new voice to turn this around. Bring on a tough coach like Berube!
I don't see the core having any issues with a coach like that. I'm sure they will all embrace it.
I don't see any issues with this plan. Go Leafs!
100 % agree. We’ve already seen Matthews and Nylander take team friendly deals to stay here so I have no doubt Marner will follow suit. This will give us more freedom moving forward.

Like why would you mess with a group that is right there. Like right there!

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
He might fall into the "too good for the O, too young for the A, not good enough for the NHL".

This.

If i had to guess as to how his season goes...

He'll get the 9 game stint, but it probably wont be the first 9 games of the year. He'll get sent to the World Juniors, and then they'll evaluate from there.

That being said, there's certainly quite a few similarities between Marner and Cowan.

Marner finished his draft +1 year with 116 points in 57 games; 2nd on his London Knights team.
Cowan finished his draft +1 year with 96 points in 54 games; 2nd on his London Knights team.

Marner was listed at 5'11 160lbs at the draft.
Cowan is listed as 5'11 185lbs now.

This isn't me saying that Cowan is going to come in and be an instant 60 point player like Marner was... but it's not out of reach to suggest he can be a 3rd-4th liner who might disappear for stretches, and finish the year with 30-40 points.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You'd show 34 the door? That's interesting, what leads you to that suggestion?
Like Mitch he can't push himself to that kind of level in the playoffs it takes to get over the hump. All that and he still thinks he should be the highest paid player in the league. Maybe its time we let someone else have the pleasure of paying him for Rockets which are great for him but do nothing for the team.

For 14m we can have a true #1 goaltender and a #1 Dman or thereabouts.

Reactions: egd27 and ToneDog

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I ask JT to waive for the Islanders and give Lou a call, he's a pro at making bad trades, and would likely want JT back.
and target Pulock even up for JT

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Is that fact?

Orcjust rumoir from people who hate his style of play?

Karlsson only able to play the Karlsson way. You cant develop any system alingside Karlsson. Its pretty hard to create a team culture with a player who doing what he want like he want whatever what.

And his personnality is pretty special too, just watched whats happenned with Vlasic last year...Its a pretty great exemple of it

Reactions: Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Karlsson only able to play the Karlsson way. You cant develop any system alingside Karlsson. Its pretty hard to create a team culture with a player who doing what he want like he want whatever what.

And his personnality is pretty special too, just watched whats happenned with Vlasic last year...Its a pretty great exemple of it
Fair points.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Based on Florida vs Boston this team is far away from a cup you could do almost anything. Like trade every player you could. Las Vegas was an expansion team.I think the goal will be to see if they can trick Leaf fans one last time. Then it gets blown up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad