What would you do? Come home or win a cup?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
This poll should be Money v Coming home v Winning a cup. Honestly, Money trumps all.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
The Leafs are still going to be garbage for the next 2 or 3 season at least. Is an elite player willing to come here to endure that? And under what terms? If they sign him to 5 years, what happens, the first 3 years of that deal is a writeoff and then maybe things pick up in the last 2 years? He's 3 years older by then and worn out by the losing culture... what's the point of that?

Hometown has nothing to do with it. Fans have to get this out their heads. There are so many players in the NHL who come from hometowns but never play for their teams. Money is first. Just ask Byfuglien and maybe 1,000 other players in the past. Stamkos being from Toronto means nothing and will play a minimal part, if any, in his decision.

He'll go where the $$$ is and based on outside influences.

Right now it's just all predicting over a crystal ball. This topic can go another 25 pages but it all cycles back to page 1 - where will he sign?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't know, but I bet Stamkos saw Marner's goal last night and some thoughts ran through his head.

Ducati1098VII

Nov 11, 2008
I'd come to Toronto.

Looking at the Prospects we have we can be very competative and you have a great coach who has won you Gold before. So I guess I'd also base the decision on babcock a lot. If I liked how he coached me when I played under him. Endorsements would play a huge factor. I mean I can utilize the fact that my Team is one whose revenue stream showcases our fans are willing to spend money, that be great leverage in negotiations.

Im closer to home and my family while also being a King in the City of Toronto.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Id come home to win the cup.

1. Management looks competent.
2. Coaching is world class.
3. I would solidify the forward group.
4. Great city.
5. Hometown.
6. Money will be there.
7. Defence looks suspect...but they are fixing everything else and should be able to fix this.

It checks off a lot of my boxes.

Not the part where he wins the cup in the next 3 years while still in his prime though. I still hope he comes home :(

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Well for me, playing for the home town or country is the most important. Who would not want to be home town heroes? And in a situation like Stammer, I would 100% come home or at least give them a shot to try to sign me, if they can't or they don't want me that's a different story.

In all honesty, I would love to play in the situation Leafs is in right now. Star player, captain, mentor, loved by the biggest fan club, one of the very best coach, legendary GM, HoF president. I would put all this on one page and say screw everything else, I'm going home.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Well for me, playing for the home town or country is the most important. Who would not want to be home town heroes? And in a situation like Stammer, I would 100% come home or at least give them a shot to try to sign me, if they can't or they don't want me that's a different story.

In all honesty, I would love to play in the situation Leafs is in right now. Star player, captain, mentor, loved by the biggest fan club, one of the very best coach, legendary GM, HoF president. I would put all this on one page and say screw everything else, I'm going home.

You have the correct personality type for this market. The shine that spotlight on me attitude, players like Jagr, Joe Namath, Michael Jordan, Shaquille, Luongo etc guys who can have fun with all the attention and enjoy the spotlight. If a player doesn't like the spotlight he won't succeed here. Prerequisite number 1 if I were running things and looking for a leader.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Well considering I think the Leafs will be cup contenders around the end of 7-8 years I think it is an easy decision. I have a lot of faith in this management team (From Shanahan to Babcock). If I didn't know as much as I do from the last couple years it may seem like this is the same thing the Leafs have always done so as an outsider I don't know what my view on the Leafs would be.

If you have a different view than maybe not but I am coming to the Leafs.

Logically, if the Leafs are Cup Contenders around the end of 7-8 years… then why not sign a 7 year deal with a Contender now and then look to sign in 2022 with the Leafs when they are ready?

He'd be 33… probably a little gas left in the tank. Jump on as a role player on a team that's supposedly already built.

To sign with the Leafs now and basically waste 7 chances at a Cup is pretty ridiculous… if a Cup is a goal.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Id come home to win the cup.

1. Management looks competent.

Half check. But does ownership?
2. Coaching is world class.

Check.

3. I would solidify the forward group.

No check. Who I am going to play the wing for? Kadri? Bozak? Your best prospect had a pretty major concussion and your other prospect is in the OHL. Whoever you draft in 2016 won't be here for another 2 years minimum.
4. Great city.
Check. Though note that there are plenty of really great cities in North America, particularly in the neighborhoods he'll be living in.
5. Hometown

Check
6. Money will be there.

Check. So too will the CRA

7. Defence looks suspect...but they are fixing everything else and should be able to fix this.

Half check. They have fired everyone and are in last place. "Fixing everything else" is a work in progress.

It checks off a lot of my boxes.

You missed another box:

8. Chance at a Cup over the 7 years of the contract

Unchecked.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I wouldn't come back to the Leafs ... They are in shambles. Unless the promised me a cushy job after hockey.

Due North

Mar 16, 2010
He's not coming to Toronto. The sooner we come to that realization the better. And if by the slim chance he does we can feel great.

Bob McKenzie feels that Buffalo is his first choice. This story was all the talk on their sports radio show. Fans were calling in on who would be on his line etc.
Could you imagine him in Buffalo?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Think he's more interested in getting a cup somewhere else at the moment. He's in his prime and would be potentially wasting the next 3 years waiting for the team to build up in Toronto. He could be however a player we could maybe pick up as a vet and leader, after his next contract with another team.

Signs with a team like St.Louis for 6-8 years. Wins a cup or two hopefully. Signs a retirement contract with the Leafs when he's 32-34 and is a huge leader for the young players who are in their prime. Leafs win Stanley cup and all is good again in the universe, then I wake up.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If I were a star nhlers there are only 2 teams I would play for. Obviously Toronto, hometown, great management, a team with great prospect pool and some nice nhl talent)but besides them I would play for the pens. With an elite core if a star player took a discount to play with Sid on his left wing and rid them of kunitz than they could probably win the cup. If I had to choose between the two it's toronto AINEC. However the pens would be my 2nd and only other choice.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Think he's more interested in getting a cup somewhere else at the moment. He's in his prime and would be potentially wasting the next 3 years waiting for the team to build up in Toronto. He could be however a player we could maybe pick up as a vet and leader, after his next contract with another team.

Signs with a team like St.Louis for 6-8 years. Wins a cup or two hopefully. Signs a retirement contract with the Leafs when he's 32-34 and is a huge leader for the young players who are in their prime. Leafs win Stanley cup and all is good again in the universe, then I wake up.
No thanks! Been there done that. We're famous for giving dinosours their exit contract. We want young hungry players not players who have had their day an are on victory laps.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
No thanks! Been there done that. We're famous for giving dinosours their exit contract. We want young hungry players not players who have had their day an are on victory laps.

I'm hoping by then that the team is filled mostly by young stars but I think having vets to balance them out is key. Also having talented stars and not just 4th line vets. Hossa was 30 when the Blackhawks won the cup in 2009-2010 and really started to show their dominance in the league. Bruins had Mark Recchi in their 2010-2011 cup run and he was what...43?

I don't know, I just think having a great leader for the kids would be great to have. I keep going back to the Detroit teams with all those great leaders who seamlessly gave the torch to carry the team to the next generation of leaders. When they won the Cup in 1997, 1998, 2002 and 2008.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
There is nothing but speculation that he wants to come here. He's apparently happy not dealing with the media or the celebrity spotlight.

and nothing but speculation that he doesn't. It works both ways. How about we wait til July 1st and then we'll all know.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Bob McKenzie feels that Buffalo is his first choice. This story was all the talk on their sports radio show. Fans were calling in on who would be on his line etc.
Could you imagine him in Buffalo?

http://thehockeywriters.com/no-babcock-for-leafs-not-that-bad/

Tuesday morning on TSN Radio, Bob McKenzie said that Mike Babcock is “definitely not going to the Leafs.â€

And so ends another round of dreaming for the Maple Leafs fan.

I respect Bobby Mac but he's not always right.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
No. But quite a few times he is.

About what in particular? He's obviously a legit insider, but it's not like he gets scoops days/weeks before **** goes down. The talk about the Phaneuf trade only heated up the morning of.

I have a hard time believing he knows that Stamkos' preference is Buffalo. Between him and Dreger, personally I think it's them trying to get the fanbase riled up... we have a lot of apathy about this team right now, waiting for the future to arrive.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I don't get it. Two American born star players, Ryan Suter and Zach Parise (and Parise is a dual citizen) decide to play out their contracts with the teams that drafted them and go home to play for their boyhood teams.

I realize the American system is all built around everything and anything USA USA USA. Heck Parise even Americanized the pronunciation of his surname.

But come on, can we not have at least one friggin Canadian born star player that feels some loyalty to his hometown and boyhood team and comes home.

Let's hope it starts with Stamkos.

It's ****ing cold and snowy in Minnesota but that didn't deter Ryan and Zach!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad