What would you do? Come home or win a cup?

saminator

Jan 24, 2016
Put yourselves in stamkos's situation, what would you do? Would you come home and play for your favorite team growing up and rebuild and maybe win a cup one day, or try to go to a contender and try win the cup now?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Well considering I think the Leafs will be cup contenders around the end of 7-8 years I think it is an easy decision. I have a lot of faith in this management team (From Shanahan to Babcock). If I didn't know as much as I do from the last couple years it may seem like this is the same thing the Leafs have always done so as an outsider I don't know what my view on the Leafs would be.

If you have a different view than maybe not but I am coming to the Leafs.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Id come home to win the cup.

1. Management looks competent.
2. Coaching is world class.
3. I would solidify the forward group.
4. Great city.
5. Hometown.
6. Money will be there.
7. Defence looks suspect...but they are fixing everything else and should be able to fix this.

It checks off a lot of my boxes.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
What contender has $10M of cap space to sign Stamkos? The other teams with cap space to offer $10M to Stamkos aren't much closer to a cup than us anyway.

And nowhere is a guarantee to win the cup. Even if he signs with the best team that makes him a competitive offer, a cup is far from guaranteed.

saminator

Jan 24, 2016
What contender has $10M of cap space to sign Stamkos? The other teams with cap space to offer $10M to Stamkos aren't much closer to a cup than us anyway.

And nowhere is a guarantee to win the cup. Even if he signs with the best team that makes him a competitive offer, a cup is far from guaranteed.

i said try never said guaranteed

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
I would come home. If he could choose any team he thought was the best bet to win a cup he would still have a 1 in 5 chance of winning a cup. Probably 1 in 10 in Toronto but if he comes to play in Toronto he will go down in Leafs history as one of the greatest regardless if he wins a cup. A hometown boy who chose to come home would be bigger than Gilmour or Sundin. If he wins a cup in Dallas no one in Canada or Ontario will care. If he breaks a 50 year curse with one or two cups in Toronto he will go down as the greatest since Teeder.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
He's not coming to Toronto. The sooner we come to that realization the better. And if by the slim chance he does we can feel great.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He's not coming to Toronto. The sooner we come to that realization the better. And if by the slim chance he does we can feel great.

I agree! However, I thought the same way about Babcock. So...

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Stamkos is in a great position... the leafs are only going to get better and he can be the face that brings them back to glory he would be a legend.. the pieces are in place to be good in the future in front office, coaching prospects and cap space.

It won't be right away but he can lead this team back to the top. He would be a god.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I agree! However, I thought the same way about Babcock. So...

Sure. Just that the rumors are that he has no interest. But ill get in trouble for saying that! I guess Shanahan can be persuasive.

Last edited:

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
bingo!!! :yo::yo: ,and stammer isnt the only star tht wants to ne part of this ..this i gonna be a well oiled machine

There is nothing but speculation that he wants to come here. He's apparently happy not dealing with the media or the celebrity spotlight.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
The Leafs traded away the captain for a reason. If you look at the team right now, I don't see anyone who is ready to take over the captaincy right now. Stamkos is going to come to Toronto and he will be the next captain of the Leafs. Mark my words! I've said it before and I'll say it again:

$9.1M x 7 years.:nod:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Win a cup.

Coming home is overrated. You'd have to have a real hero complex to want to come home and think you could save this franchise single handedly.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Win a cup.

Coming home is overrated. You'd have to have a real hero complex to want to come home and think you could save this franchise single handedly.

Thing is, he won't be alone. He'll have some very good youth to play with, and don't think for a second that Leafs management aren't going to bring in even more talent to support Stammer.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
It's like the field of dreams adage... If you build it they will come. You get Stamkos in Toronto with another top 4 pick this summer, maybe 1st overall, and other UFAs will want to be part of the rebuild. You don't need a lot just a few character guys to mix well with the young players you have drafted.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There are no guarantees of winning a Cup, even if a player signs with a contender. Just ask Curtis Joseph.

Stamkos in not in the twilight of his career. He is young enough to play a significant role when this team is ready to contend, if management continues to play their cards right.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
If he signs with the best team that offers him at least 10M, there might be a 10% chance he wins a cup by the end of his contract. If he signs with the Leafs, there might be a 5-8% chance. Is a 2-5% chance worth giving up all the reasons he has to come to Toronto.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I was thinking the exact same thing today. It's almost a guarantee that teams like Chicago, Los Angeles, New York Rangers won't have the salary cap space to sign Stamkos even if they wanted to, despite being a lot closer to winning. As for the other teams with cap space after Toronto what other teams have it and are they even close to contending?

saminator

Jan 24, 2016
lol you guys defeated the purpose of the post :pullhair: it was supposed to be what you guys would do not is stamkos coming to the leafs...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad