Value of: What would the Leafs have to package with Dermott to get a top 4 RHD with term?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Niskanen would have been perfect for what the Leafs need. Wonder if they could have done a three way with Philly with Zaitsev and Kapanen going there.

Right now you can maybe offer a winger for Adam Larsson given Edmonton's change in D vs F balance. Dermott+ for Petry retained if Montreal is willing to retool with him.

If Buffalo is selling Colin Miller on the cheap might be a low key good acquisition

Pesce would have been perfect but have to think he's not available anymore.

Colin Miller? no thanks, not anymore

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Your looking at Kapanen + Dermott for a top 4 RHD. I'd rather trade Johnsson, but thats not possible now. People will say its not enough, but I think it is for a lower end to middle of the pack Top 4 RHD.

After the trade, Bracco maybe finally gets his chance on the team. I never wanted to trade him without giving him a chance tbh.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
No interest in paying what Petry is "apparently" worth. To old, not enough term...and more offense 1st.

Petry brings both offense and defense. More of a two-way defender who's an excellent skater. Even with Ceci back, he would knock Ceci down in the lineup on the PK and 5 on 5.

Petry could potentially have more points playing for a more offensive team.

Leafs don't have to make any trades, but that's possibly available, he's the cheapest top 4 d that can be had before the deadline.

Offseason would likely open up more chances and opportunity to get others.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Petry brings both offense and defense. More of a two-way defender who's an excellent skater. Even with Ceci back, he would knock Ceci down in the lineup on the PK and 5 on 5.

Petry could potentially have more points playing for a more offensive team.

Leafs don't have to make any trades, but that's possibly available, he's the cheapest top 4 d that can be had before the deadline.

Offseason would likely open up more chances and opportunity to get others.
Lets be honest here, Habs fans don't call him P3try for a reason.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Lets be honest here, Habs fans don't call him P3try for a reason.

I've literally never seen someone call him that.

He definitely f***s up in the dzone. Looks amazing and then a few games later looks almost as dumb as Ceci.

I get leaf fans aren't interested because that would mean the leafs are helping Montreal's rebuild and whatnot, but in order to get the type of d most leafs want, you gotta pay and Dermott, Kapanen and a 2nd won't get you that. Best case is maybe a Petry. Could go for less, could go for more. Probably won't move because Bergevin is dumb.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Genuinely curious here... what exactly do Leafs fans think they're getting in terms of a Dman here?

Dermott and Kapanen are both B level pieces. Jeff Petry is a damn good Dman, he's a solid #3 on a playoff team. You're not getting a Dman better than him if the main pieces being involved in the trade are Dermott and Kapanen.

Dermott + Kapanen + 1st is a lot of assets, but its a lot of assets that carry little value if the Leafs are serious about getting a "Young top 4 Dman with term" type of return. Nobody in the league is giving up that type of Defender without a serious overpay, and that package is a serious underpay for such a player.

Reactions: c3z4r

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I’ll give u Faulk for Tyler Biggs at this point.... lol

but actually, if u guys have any interest in Faulk, please, please, please feel free to reach out lmaooo

Reactions: Stealth JD

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I agree Petry isn't the guy, especially at the price it'll *allegedly* take to acquire him.

I'd offer Severson, but that situation is hazy. The Devils would likely prioritize an LHD (better than Dermott) in any Severson deal, and, regardless, we'll have better clarity after the deadline. Whether Vatanen gets moved will be a good indicator of our direction moving forward.

Severson makes some sense, as Leafs need more RHD ans NJ could use another LHD.
Both having a bit of a down year, id think the Leafs would need to add.

Would something around Kap+Dermott get close to Severson + Coleman/Zacha/Wood (I know they have different values)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad