What would put Ovi in contention for a Selke?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Before people destroy this thread hear me out. He's not at that level right now. However this year he is pretty solid defensively. Only the people who watch him will be able to know what I'm talking about. If you only want to talk about a meme go elsewhere.

This year plenty of timed strips of the puck in high scoring areas, many saved goals on backchecks. Not speaking on his career however this year he is the most effective on his team in preventing goals. He's obviously needs a lot of work to reach that level. But what would he actually need to reach "Selke" level?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm not saying he couldn't but it'd be incredibly stupid for him to waste that much time and effort for such marginal gains when scoring is his strongest contribution to any team.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
He's about as likely to win the Selke as Antti Niemi.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He would have to prioritize defense over offense. Ovi is pretty decent defensively but his deployment and role are not suited for a defense first game. To be honest, it would be a waste of Ovechkin's skill to have him play defense first hockey. He could be good at it, but his defense pales in comparison to his offensive abilities. He's the best goalscorer, that's what he should always focus on.

He's a better hockey player than the guys that contend for the Selke.

Remember when he failed to get the puck out of the zone on the Penguin's 2 goals in game 7... good times

Failing to get the puck out of the zone isn't defense, it's poor puck management. You are no longer defending if you have the puck, by definition.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Failing to get the puck out of the zone isn't defense, it's poor puck management. You are no longer defending if you have the puck, by definition.

Failing to get the puck out of the defensive zone isn't defense? I am sorry but that's almost unequivocally false.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Ovechkin playing like a Selke-level forward would put him in contention for a Selke.

No it wouldn’t. This thread is a good example of the way his reputation precedes him. Like the OP posted, Ovie is not Selke-caliber but he has reinvented himself and shown as strong a commitment to defense as anyone on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad