Proposal: What would it take from the Pens to trade for McGinn?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Um... Why did the debate focus around Bennett? I'd trade McGinn for Ian Cole straight up.

I get it. He's been terribad in Pitt. But he was a good bottom pairing defensemen in at Louis.

He's a 26 year old LD with 2 remaining years at affordable costs

The other two long shot assets are... Whatever. I don't mind a RW getting a fresh start here either.

You've got your heads too deep in the HF sand if you are poo pooing this offer.

Because you're better off trading McGinn for the best possible futures you can and save the reclamation projects and bottom pairing Dmen to waiver pick ups and UFA's or cap casualty deals.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Because you're better off trading McGinn for the best possible futures you can and save the reclamation projects and bottom pairing Dmen to waiver pick ups and UFA's or cap casualty deals.

Let me know when 26 year old LDs hit those scenarios

Seems far sighted and naive.
When the best possible future is the ever available 2nd round pick... I'm more interested in NHL depth at areas of NHL needs

But if waiting around for the colaicovo, Franson, and Legwands is what your in to... Enjoy your 2nd rounder.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Cole's problems due to usage Jame? Seems like they're using him as something he isn't due to the fact thier defense is bad?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Let me know when 26 year old LDs hit those scenarios

Seems far sighted and naive.
When the best possible future is the ever available 2nd round pick... I'm more interested in NHL depth at areas of NHL needs

But if waiting around for the colaicovo, Franson, and Legwands is what your in to... Enjoy your 2nd rounder.

Do we have a depth problem of bottom pairing LHD? ... I don't think so... We need top 4 LHD ... Even if you do think so that it's hardly a position that is hard to fill and is basically a crap shoot in terms of what you'll wind up getting.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Cole's problems due to usage Jame? Seems like they're using him as something he isn't due to the fact thier defense is bad?

I haven't really checked in on Pitt much this year. And when I've seen them I can't say Ian Cole was my focus. I don't really know what they are doing with him.

I can say I watched a lot of at Louis over the years, and he always seemed to be that 3rd pair puck mover, always paired with a classic stay at home like Jackman.

If I can trade McGinn for a 26 yr old, puck mover, LD, signed for 2 more seasons and a paltry 2.1, with 230 NHL games under his belt, and some playoff experience... **** it, I don't even care who he is. Deal.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This would be the sort of deal a GM trying to accelerate his building process would be looking at -- young, albeit unproven NHLer and an area of need in LD for an expiring contract.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I haven't really checked in on Pitt much this year. And when I've seen them I can't say Ian Cole was my focus. I don't really know what they are doing with him.

I can say I watched a lot of at Louis over the years, and he always seemed to be that 3rd pair puck mover, always paired with a classic stay at home like Jackman.

If I can trade McGinn for a 26 yr old, puck mover, LD, signed for 2 more seasons and a paltry 2.1, with 230 NHL games under his belt, and some playoff experience... **** it, I don't even care who he is. Deal.

What would you rather have Cole or Weber?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
This would be the sort of deal a GM trying to accelerate his building process would be looking at -- young, albeit unproven NHLer and an area of need in LD for an expiring contract.

We also could have claimed Cody Hodgson and Matt Irwin off waivers and said the same thing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I know it's silly.

But it's silly to expect acquiring Bennett and Cole as an "acceleration" of a rebuild.

It's the sort of deal to move the team forward. Murray has already started using the assets he has to identify and acquire players rather than just a never ending supply of draft picks. Not liking Cole or Bennett is fine, but to compare them to flunked out waiver bait is weak.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It's the sort of deal to move the team forward. Murray has already started using the assets he has to identify and acquire players rather than just a never ending supply of draft picks. Not liking Cole or Bennett is fine, but to compare them to flunked out waiver bait is weak.

What Murray has done is used the younger assets from those draft picks to accelerate the rebuild...and it would give Murray the opportunity to do just that again seeing that the 2nd rounder or the draft pick would have some meaningful value as opposed to someone like Bennett or Cole.

I don't see it as moving forward at all. I see it as spinning your tires.

Turn the 2nd rounder into an actual deal like for next years trade deadline or something.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I don't think Cole, Bennett for McGinn is a bad deal.

I'd try to explore a bigger package though, or a trade that sets something else up. e.g.: get a second for McGinn from team X, knowing he's a little bit away from value on a bigger deal with team Y.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
I'm more interested in acquiring 2nd Round picks to then use as ammo for additional trades which bring in the specific guys Murray is targeting

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Overall I'm really glad that this turned into a healthy conversation instead of people pooping right on the deal. Seems to be fifty fifty but no one saying no completely hating the deal, and the people saying yes hypothetically being fairly excited about the proposed deal.

Both Bennett and Cole have risks, Bennett's being injuries and Cole's being consistency. Both have high potential still, and are signed to reasonable prices. The cost if they don't work out is an impending free agent you like, but isn't essential by any stretch for your rebuild, but could play on our first or third left wing.

I know some people would rather have our second. We're not going to do that. We probably don't have a first. Our prospect cupboard is bare. We are not moving a first or second this year for pretty much anyone, unless they have term. If you can get a second elsewhere, by all means if you prefer that, but the pens should not move a high pick for a rental. We're not favorites to win it all, we're not selling out. We're looking for low cost moves that improve our lineup, and if Mcginn fits in we can consider resigning him.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
His only major concern had been injuries, which has admittedly stunted his development. If he doesn't work out, don't resign him or offer a low tender and get a low draft pick for him, and you still get the fourth and a defenseman who won't break the bank but could fill a hole on the blue line.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
His only major concern had been injuries, which has admittedly stunted his development. If he doesn't work out, don't resign him or offer a low tender and get a low draft pick for him, and you still get the fourth and a defenseman who won't break the bank but could fill a hole on the blue line.

You don't have to sell me, I already said deal.

(Bennett is pretty irrelevant in the deal)

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
You don't have to sell me, I already said deal.

(Bennett is pretty irrelevant in the deal)

Yeah, I work in sales, I should know better than to keep selling to someone who's already said yes, but then again, I'm used to selling to one person at a time and not an entire message board.

And that's fair if you are more interested in Cole and the trading of minor draft picks. It could be the best part of the deal, since he is signed two years, cheap, and seemingly should fit in Byslma's puck moving system. I guess I'm still selling, aren't I?

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Watching both Pens games and Sabres games, I wouldnt want Beau Bennett mainly for 2 reasons, his body just cant take it at NHL level which is a shame because when healthy hes handy and even if he was healthy Bylsma would bench him anyway for an underperforming veteran.

Ian Cole is strickly a bottom 6 guy and they are a dime a dozen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad